Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]
Welcome to Porchlight International for the Missing & Unidentified. We hope you enjoy your visit.


You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use. If you join our community, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customizing your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free.


Join our community!


If you're already a member please log in to your account to access all of our features:

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
NHF170408 - historical burial; NH: skeletal remains in Kingston woods
Topic Started: Apr 11 2017, 02:44 PM (23 Views)
tatertot
Advanced Member
[ *  *  * ]
http://www.unionleader.com/public-safety/a...ods--20170410/1

Public Safety
April 10. 2017 5:27PM
Authorities search for clues after skeletal remains found in Kingston woods
By JASON SCHREIBER
Union Leader Correspondent

KINGSTON — The State Police Major Crime Unit has joined an investigation into skeletal remains that were discovered off Dorre Road.


Investigators spent much of Monday searching for clues in a wooded area along a dirt section of the road next to Torromeo Industries Inc.


Police were first called to the area around noon on Saturday after hunters reported finding what were believed to be human remains.


“Kingston police responded to the area and requested assistance from the New Hampshire State Police and it’s under investigation at this time. It’s in the early stages of the investigation,” Kingston Police Chief Donald Briggs Jr. said Monday before the case was taken over by the Rockingham County Attorney’s Office.


Senior Assistant Attorney General Jeffrey Strelzin also confirmed that his office had been notified of the case over the weekend, but wasn’t in charge of the investigation.


Briggs said that at this point, it’s not known how long the remains have been at the location, which was in a secluded area. 
The Major Crime Unit truck was parked at the start of the dirt portion of Dorre Road while investigators worked in the woods farther down the road.


A Kingston police officer kept the section of road blocked while dump trucks and other large vehicles traveled in and out of Torromeo Industries.


When asked Monday morning if police had found any evidence leading them to believe that it’s a crime scene, State Police Capt. Chris Vetter said, “It’s all under investigation.”


Rockingham County Attorney Pat Conway declined comment.


The presence of state and local police vehicles created concern for some locals who are familiar with the area.


One man, who asked not to be identified, often hikes through the thickly wooded area and said his worst fear is finding a body out there.


“Every once in a while I think about that,” he said.


It wasn’t clear Monday if authorities planned to search missing person reports.
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top
 
tatertot
Advanced Member
[ *  *  * ]
May She Rest in Peace
http://www.nh1.com/news/medical-examiner-r...o-died-in-1895/

Medical Examiner: Remains found in NH determined to be 28-year-old who died in 1895
NH1.com


KINGSTON — Bones found off Dorre Road in Kingston have been identified as a 28-year-old woman who died in 1895.

Police responded to a scene off of Dorre Road after hikers discovered what they believed to be a skull on April 8. Police responded to the area, which appeared to have been logged and had earth moved in the creation of logging roads, police said.

Police found what they believed to be a hair clip, a lower jaw bone, ceramic denture plates and part of a spine, police said.

On Monday, the Major Crimes Division of the State Police and Kingston police returned with a cadaver dog and equipment. During the search, they found a metal plate used on grave stones that revealed the woman was a 28-year-old woman who had died in 1895.

Police also found metal handles and hardware generally associated with old wooden caskets, police said.

Police believe that this site is one of many ancient and abandoned grave yards that had been inadvertently uncovered due to recent logging.

Based on the evidence provided to the Medical Examiner Office, State Archaeologist Richard Boisvert was assigned the case. On Wednesday, the State Archaeologist, assisted by the State Police and Medical Examiner, returned to the area off Dorre Road to determine the extent of the cemetery plot. The archaeologist’s findings are still pending.

The photos were requested from the Medical Examiner's Office, but the request was not returned.
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top
 
« Previous Topic · Located/Identified · Next Topic »
Add Reply