Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]
Welcome to Wingtipcafe. We hope you enjoy your visit.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use. If you join our community, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customizing your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free.

Join our community!

If you're already a member please log in to your account to access all of our features:

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
Shanimuni Go - by RAGAWA Marimo; Latest chapter discussion
Topic Started: Jun 2 2010, 08:55 AM (4,170 Views)
chihaya
Member Avatar
Administrator
[ *  *  * ]
Discuss about Shanimuni Go here

Use Quote+White font for beyond-latest-chapter's spoiler

Code:
Code:

[QUOTE][COLOR=white]Spoiler[/COLOR][/QUOTE]

Example:
Quote:

Spoiler
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

Cyber_3
Unregistered

When I saw the update last week that Shanimuni Go was going to be released weekly, I decided to give it a try yesterday since I didn't have anything else to read. Well, I downloaded volume 1 but honestly, I only got part way though chapter 3 before I gave up. Maybe someone can tell me if it gets better later on but it's just too seinen for me so far. Is it classified as "shoujo" because it talks about relationships? Now, don't get me wrong, I've read some seinen and enjoyed it, even sports manga like "Touch" which is one of my favourite mangas but so far, SG just seems like a bad seinen manga with little humour and cliche relationships. I got as far as I did since it's fan-service-lite and the story idea seemed original. Of other tennis-related manga that I've heard of: I liked Marmalade Boy and it hooked me quicker even though it's kind of lame (tennis is involved). I've never read Prince of Tennis so I can't compare. I really like Itazura na Kiss, even if it was frustratingly long.

So, while weekly releases are certainly a good incentive (I love weekly releases) I think that by the lack of comments here, more encouragements than that is required. If someone can tell me more how it develops and why it's good, I think I could give it another try.

Cyber_3 - reading and reviewing manga since 1990....man I'm old......
Quote Post Goto Top

chihaya
Member Avatar
Administrator
[ *  *  * ]
Thank you for the comment, Cyber_3! SG is quite different from our other projects and it's great to hear what the readers think.

I'm not sure if you have read Aka-chan to Boku (Baby and me). It's from the same author. If you like that one, you might come to like this one as well.

SG is categorized Shoujo because it was published in a shoujo magazine called Hana to yume, the same one that published "Fruit basket" and "HanaKimi". The story itself is definitely not a seinen. Too many shoujo elements. SG is more of a drama than sport manga. You can read more review at mangaupdates
http://www.mangaupdates.com/series.html?id=7281

I personally think the first 3 chapters aren't great but it's not so bad. So maybe this manga isn't for you? I'd encourage you to try as far as 3 volumes if you can, though. In fact, my intention is that we'll do 4-5 volumes first. If it doesn't go well, then we'll drop the project and focus our resource on something else.

Cyber_3
Unregistered

Well, never let it be said that I refused a challenge! ^o^v

I muddled ahead and read the rest of the translated chapters and I have to say that by Chapter 7, I was feeling that my effort had been rewarded and by Chapter 13, I was looking forward to Chapter 14 being released this week. It does happen that mangaka are "slow starters" (heh) and that in this case the set up was too complicated to do well. But once that was done, the humour crept in and made me giggle and the pace accelerated to something exciting. There are lots of sports manga out there but I find that there are very few really good ones that can be enjoyed whether you are a sports maniac or not. I think this one will shape up well.....there are 32 volumes of it so you guys better not leave me hanging now that you hooked me >_<;;;;;;;;;;

This is just the beginning of the manga so it's natural that more characters will be introduced otherwise the main characters are just competing against faceless opponents. I don't know about this new girl, but if you like her chihaya, then there must be some real fun coming ^_^. Cute, weird, making black cookies of death, usually a good combo for comedy. While I do find that this manga has a bit more of a seinen feel, like Touch!, I still feel a good connection to the characters. Most seinen makes me think: "What are you doing idiot? Why would you do that ya perv? Stop goofing around and get on with it guy! Stop already with the excessive panty shots? Why do all the girl shirts fit so tight you can see their nipples?!!! IF I see one more one-dimensional enemy show up out of nowhere I'm going to puke! Why does it take 5 battle FIVE!!!! to learn that maybe, hey maybe you should change your strategy?!!!"

huff huff huff...... Okay, that's out of my system.... I think. I'm just not a guy. Guys must like that stuff but it just makes me feel dumb reading it. So, yeah, Shanimuni Go is NOT one of those and if you can make it to Chapter 7, you'll be glad you did. Give it a try. Weekly releases now will REALLY REALLY help keep up the pace. I HATE when a sports game takes more than one chapter and you have to wait to see how it turns out, but so far, Shanimuni Go is keeping it well within reason.

I'm glad now that I have 2 manga to expect weekly what with Fukuya over. Thanks for encouraging me to read further. There are enough chapters out now to get a better feel for and more interest in, the manga.

Cyber_3 - Couldn't stomach Baby and Me the first time I saw it, but maybe I need to revisit if it just gets started slowly.......
Quote Post Goto Top

Cyber_3
Unregistered

Oh yeah! You other readers out there?!!! Post some comments! There's not a lot of story to comment on yet, but it would be nice to know other opinions, even if you hated it. Give it a try!

Don't read what follows if you haven't read to chap13 yet. Little bit spoiler-ish.......

That said, Ide seems like an idiot with a lot of natural sports ability but despite his good luck, he is actually a fairly analytical thinker when it comes to learning and I think this is his strong point...He probably acts like a baby for the attention. As for Rui, I'm looking forward to when it is revealed why de doesn't push himself to the limit as far as he could. I think Ide and Rui will make a nice pair and will learn lots from each other. I don't know what will have with Takada but obviously when her cousin comes to into the picture, there will be a lot of non-tennis to deal with and I look forward to that. She is very strong and I wonder that there's really no recourse for her leg? It was too bad that the 3rd years were set up so nicely and then had to leave already.....but they probably would have just got in the way and they make the transition from crappy team to good team more dramatic. Guess we'll get new first years sooner rather than later, hopefully they still focus on the Ide/Rui characters and don't keep switching so easily.

I'll save the rest for after chapter 14 this week.

Cyber_3 - the faces drawn by mangakas over tasting evilly-bad baking always make me laugh, no exception here ^_^
Quote Post Goto Top

quixoticpixel
Member Avatar
Advanced Member
[ *  *  * ]
Aw, I am going to miss the three senpai - I hope we see them again! And I love the new girl. She offers so many awesome possibilities! Her strange devotion to RuiRui makes me cheer for her. I'm going to support their pairing. :D

We got through the last tennis match pretty quickly - I'm happy the pace of the manga didn't slow down for the game.

I hope we get to know more of the team - what is next for our boys? Fun relationship development? More background to RuiRui? I hope we can see a bit more explanation of his current situation with his dad...

Also, Ide is adorable and I want to know a lot more about him. I feel like his personality is so big, that's the only part of him the manga focuses on. He's got that bit of background about being a runner, but I want more!! <3

Thanks Wingtip Team!! <3

chihaya
Member Avatar
Administrator
[ *  *  * ]
Cyber_3-san, I was giggling over your tirade on seinan manga XDDDD I love Adachi's works but I get what you meant. And don't worry. The opponents in SG are anything but one-dimentional. Mako-chan is wonderfully weird. She doesn't appear much because she's in different school but I adore her nonetheless.

Quix-san, eiieii you'll get to know more about Nobucchi's family in the next chapter.

Cyber_3
Unregistered

Aiyah chihaya, I didn't mean that stuff for Adachi, I do like his work a lot, mostly because it is non-standard. But in all fairness, I could say a few things about cliche shoujo manga too. My husband and I often have these hilarious discussions about which is worst. Since I'm an ex-reviewer of manga and he is an ex-fansubber of anime and AMV guy, it sometimes goes on quite long :3 A big part of why I like all of the titles so far that WingTip does (that I've read) are that they tend to be non-cliche and less formulaeic.

Cyber_3 - got lured into the j-drama for Real Clothes.....eeeee :3 :3
Quote Post Goto Top

Cyber_3
Unregistered

As far as Shanimuni Go goes, if you are thinking of dropping it, I don't think I'll cry any more. While I like it, it's getting more into the strategies and skills of the games and less on the character interaction. It's good, but I don't anticipate it each week other than as "more manga for reading (a good thing)" as opposed to the "can't wait for the next chapter of this particular manga! eeee!" that I get for other titles, like Oishii Kankei. I'm just saying.

Cyber_3 - The TOTAL lack of discussion here makes me think that I'm not alone.
Quote Post Goto Top

Psychoidiot
Unregistered

OMG! don't drop don't drop!

I learned about this about the same time as Skip Beat! and while Skip Beat is regularly scanlated, I'm barely there with this one. I love sports manga!

I do think that some reviewers at other places say up to 14 is the standard shounen stuff, but I like it. Want to know the history ~~~

Ide certainly has the athletic prowess to do lots of different sports, that I like that he's trying hard now with one he likes.

Btw, Cyber did you use to review for AOD?
Quote Post Goto Top

Cyber_3
Unregistered

Oh, so there IS someone else out there reading this?!!! :3 Maybe a little kick on the update page will get this discussion going more, especially since there are only a few more chapters in OIshii Kankei ;)

I do like the way that Ide tries hard, but it's nicer when his natural talent pulls him through. I have to wonder why he is so flaky about choosing sports, perhaps it's because he can. Ruii is interesting too in that now he has much more stamina than before he switched schools but he's not up to the same level of skill......it's all so uncertain right now (chap.20), it's a little exciting to see where it goes....

Cyber_3 - in a former life reviewed manga for AOD and moderated the manga forum there from 2001 to 2003. Hasn't been back there since.
Quote Post Goto Top

Saemon
Unregistered

Personally i like it tho i was close to dropping it for a later time after the first chapters myself, but ive grown attached to them.

But i do hope for more dialog into the persons past and minds instead of lots of sport, but i dont really disslike the sports element of it tho.

Thank you for yet another nice one to read.
Quote Post Goto Top

Psychoidiot
Unregistered

@Cyber Yea you let Kiril take over and then he left too.... Ah I miss those days =) Oh well..... anyway...

New chapter! Dun dun dun. The girl that ide likes is Takita's rival's cousin right? (I forget their names) I almost went ke ke ke love triangle! Make Ide try harder. I like how the author actually didn't have them win at this point in time but had both of them learn really hard lessons because of it. Ide tries hard and now knows that even with natural talent it may be hard to win. Effort + talent is one of my favorite things... although Takita needs to acknowledge Ide more.

Ide set some really ambitious goals, but he has two players to beat before getting to an IH title.

Quote Post Goto Top

Jedai
[ * ]
I'm following this manga too, please don't drop it, pleeeaaase ? :unsure:

Ide is pretty funny with his strange personality (most of the time he's extremely childish but he can be very insightful... weird combination) and Takita has unplumbed depth too, I'm looking forward to discover their past and future. :lol:

--
Jedaļ

Psychoidiot
Unregistered

hahah misunderstanding abounds...

I'm guessing Saeko wants to be friends, but was dissed by Rui because Rui was feeling the gap close or something.

Ah, sports manga so exciting.
Quote Post Goto Top

Go to Next Page
« Previous Topic · WingtipCafe Projects · Next Topic »
Add Reply