Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]
Welcome to The Pit Lane. We hope you enjoy your visit.


You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use. If you join our community, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customizing your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free.


Join our community!


If you're already a member please log in to your account to access all of our features:

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
Cold Dead Hand Debate
Topic Started: Apr 10 2013, 10:36 AM (309 Views)
Pasta
Member Avatar
Chief Engineer
[ *  *  *  *  * ]
I have watched this debate in the US about gun control and continue to be amazed at the vitriol launched by the gun lobby at anyone who dares to question an unfettered right to own virtually any weapon.

To me the journalists and defenders of the second amendment are far more beligerant and insulting than I could ever have imagined.

Jim Carrey's spoof video "Cold Dead Hand" was not, in my opinion, in good taste. I can understand the motivation but it wasn't his best work.

Nevertheless the criticism by supposedly professional news casters has been way way way worse. Absolute buffoons.

I was thinking to myself this is what the Islamic radicals do. Shout, insult, intimmidate and resort to violence. There can never be any reason.

One of the newscasters suggested that Carrey "as a foreigner should keep out of our business". What an insult to all foreigners. So non-citizens can't make comments? (The same was said about Piers Morgan by a news caster suggesting as a foreigner he should shut his fXXXing mouth). With due respect Carrey and other Canadians such as Lorne Green and Michael J Fox have done way more for expansion of US culture, way more in generation of taxes, way more in support of charitable functions than these news casters combined will ever do. I found the news casters, especially Fox (is that Murdoch or what?) to be insanely offensive and biased.

Then today I ran across this rebuttal by Carrey and he says it well.

http://news.yahoo.com/jim-carrey-fires-bac...-193509569.html

In the latter part of the article one newscaster makes my point.

Quote:
 
LOS ANGELES (TheWrap.com) - Jim Carrey, who raised the hackles of the right wing by calling Fox News - or, rather, "Fux News" - a "giant culture fart" and with his criticism of assault rifles, has fired off another round in the debate, calling some of his harsher critics "thugs" and "a minority."

He also says that he doesn't want to infringe on anyone's Second Amendment rights.

Bemoaning the lack of civility he says he's encountered, Carrey writes in a column published Tuesday on the Huffington Post, "It is shocking to see this concerted effort to brutally intimidate anyone who speaks of a compassionate compromise ... These thugs, though menacing, are a minority, but they will have their way if good people don't step forward now and make a difference."

Carrey also emphasized, "NO ONE IS ASKING ANYONE TO GIVE UP THEIR RIGHT TO BEAR ARMS." Instead, he says, he hopes "we can limit" access to weapons that cause "massive devastation to good and innocent people."

"No one is allowed to own a bazooka. In a movie theater an assault rifle with a 100-round drum magazine can cause just as much damage," Carrey writes.

The actor stirred up the gun-control debate last week with his Funny or Die music video "Cold Dead Hand," which criticizes gun-control opponents.

Carrey released a statement later in the week, claiming that he'd seen "Fux News" - presumably, a reference to Fox News Channel - "rant, rave, bare its fangs and viciously slander me because of my stand against large magazines and assault rifles.

"I would take them to task legally if I felt they were worth my time or that anyone with a brain in their head could actually fall for such irresponsible buffoonery. That would gain them far too much attention which is all they really care about," Carrey added while giving the network's commentary attention.

Fox News personality Greg Gutfeld subsequently took a shot at Carrey on "The Five," calling Carrey "washed-up."

"I guess Jimmy thought he couldn't lose a debate to a dead man," Gutfeld said, referring to deceased actor and former NRA president Charlton Heston. "That's what's really funny - he did and now Charlton Heston has a brighter future in films than Jim Carrey."
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top
 
« Previous Topic · Views on the News · Next Topic »
Add Reply