Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]
Welcome to The Pit Lane. We hope you enjoy your visit.


You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use. If you join our community, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customizing your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free.


Join our community!


If you're already a member please log in to your account to access all of our features:

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
Flavio Briatore to sue F1's governing body the FIA
Topic Started: Jan 18 2010, 12:21 AM (228 Views)
Steelstallions
Member Avatar
Driver
[ *  *  *  *  *  * ]
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/motorspor...-of-income.html

Quote:
 
Flavio Briatore says he is suing Formula One's governing body, the FIA, for the loss of income to his driver management business incurred after he was given a lifetime ban from the sport. The FIA's World Council banned former Renault team principal Briatore and the team's former head of engineering Pat Symonds in September after racing driver Nelson Piquet Jr claimed the two men asked him to crash during the 2008 Singapore Grand Prix to aid his team-mate, Fernando Alonso.

A Paris court overturned that ban earlier this month, awarding Briatore €15,000 in damages. However, the ban prevented teams and drivers from working with Briatore and the Italian maintains this led to a significant loss of income. Briatore told The Telegraph that he would sue the FIA for damages to his driver management business. "We lost Alonso, we lost [Heikki] Kovalainen, we lost several drivers," he said. "We will sue the FIA for the money we lost."

The FIA has declared its intention to appeal the French court's ruling.

Meanwhile, Jenson Button has revealed that he will drive the new McLaren car for the first time on the final day of the opening pre-season F1 test in Valencia from Feb 1-3.

The world champion moved from Brawn GP to become Lewis Hamilton's team-mate this year. Hamilton will drive the MP4-25 on Feb 2, with Spanish test driver Pedro de la Rosa taking the car for its maiden outing the day before.


<think>
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top
 
flood1
Chief Engineer
[ *  *  *  *  * ]
Yes, he will sue. And according to the legal beagles I know, he will win. The FIA have exerted their powers beyond their scope and will be proven to be a sporting body and not a legal body.

Their scope is via contract, and no contract exists between team principals (even those without principle) and individual management agreements.
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top
 
Brave_Lee_Flea
Member Avatar
Chief Engineer
[ *  *  *  *  * ]
flood1,Jan 18 2010
12:32 AM
Yes, he will sue.

No he won't. And don't call me Sue.


<LOL>
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top
 
Red Andy
Member Avatar

Moderator
Petra Lead,Jan 18 2010
01:41 PM
flood1,Jan 18 2010
12:32 AM
Yes, he will sue.

No he won't. And don't call me Sue.


<LOL>

<doh>

I agree with Flood though. Flavio is likely to win if he does pursue legal action.
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top
 
Brave_Lee_Flea
Member Avatar
Chief Engineer
[ *  *  *  *  * ]
Red Andy,Jan 18 2010
01:42 PM
Petra Lead,Jan 18 2010
01:41 PM
flood1,Jan 18 2010
12:32 AM
Yes, he will sue.

No he won't. And don't call me Sue.


<LOL>

<doh>

I agree with Flood though. Flavio is likely to win if he does pursue legal action.

So do I but I cannot resist a good pun.... nor even a terrible one.
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top
 
Brave_Lee_Flea
Member Avatar
Chief Engineer
[ *  *  *  *  * ]
Although this is small potatoes; assuming he is innocent I want Flavio to make good on his threat to sue the Piquets. Then and only then will I believe he is as innocent as he maintains.

Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top
 
Red Andy
Member Avatar

Moderator
Petra Lead,Jan 18 2010
01:49 PM
Although this is small potatoes; assuming he is innocent I want Flavio to make good on his threat to sue the Piquets. Then and only then will I believe he is as innocent as he maintains.

I seriously doubt he is as innocent as he contends. However the WMSC failed, by their own admission, to prove he was guilty - yet they hit him with a lifetime ban nonetheless. That is disproportionate and wrong.
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top
 
« Previous Topic · Formula 1 · Next Topic »
Add Reply