Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]
Welcome to The Pit Lane. We hope you enjoy your visit.


You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use. If you join our community, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customizing your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free.


Join our community!


If you're already a member please log in to your account to access all of our features:

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
Button interested in contesting Dakar; When he retires from F1
Topic Started: Jan 16 2010, 10:49 PM (227 Views)
Steelstallions
Member Avatar
Driver
[ *  *  *  *  *  * ]
http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/80929

Quote:
 
World champion Jenson Button says he is interested in contesting the Dakar Rally when he retires from Formula 1.

But the Briton added that he would want to do the marathon cross-country event as a low-key privateer rather than joining one of the major Dakar teams.

"I want to do the Dakar, which would be quite fun, that is on at the moment and I would like to do that," said Button on stage at AUTOSPORT International.

"If I raced in other formulae it would be because I want to go and have fun. Doing the Dakar, for example, I would want to do it as a privateer, just go there and have fun. It would be such a life experience.

"If you get into one of the top teams and you are racing for them, it is just so much pressure. I would want to go there and enjoy the race."

Button also said he would be open to racing in the Le Mans 24 Hours following his F1 career.


Any bets what year he will retire?
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top
 
John
Team Boss
[ *  *  *  *  *  *  * ]
Hopefully by the time Button retires the Dakar will really be the Dakar and not a name sake...
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top
 
Rob
Member Avatar

Admin
He's in in 30s now or close to it, I say 5 years. Good on him though. I would have liked to see Kimi go for that.
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top
 
John
Team Boss
[ *  *  *  *  *  *  * ]
Very close... he is actually 29 years, 11 months and 29 days (dob 19. January 1980) <thumbsup>
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top
 
Red Andy
Member Avatar

Moderator
John,Jan 16 2010
11:00 PM
Hopefully by the time Button retires the Dakar will really be the Dakar and not a name sake...

I was going to say that. Security problems persist in Mauritania and the Morocco-Algeria border has been closed for years .... so getting to Dakar overland is a bit of a problem for now. Hopefully a solution will be found soon and the Dakar can get back to its rightful home.
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top
 
safc_fan89
Member Avatar
safc_fan89
[ *  *  *  *  *  *  * ]
Having it somewhere else is preferable to being massacred...
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top
 
John
Team Boss
[ *  *  *  *  *  *  * ]
I recall having this discussion with Flood last year when the new 'Dakar' started... I have no problem with the moving of the event and fully appreciate the security concerns involved in why it needed to move... my gripe is, was and always be with taking the Dakar name with it.

It is new and improved over the traditional event... why not give it it's own name so that when the security situation improved the Dakar can be reinstated along side this new event.
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top
 
« Previous Topic · Formula 1 · Next Topic »
Add Reply