Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]
Welcome to The Pit Lane. We hope you enjoy your visit.


You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use. If you join our community, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customizing your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free.


Join our community!


If you're already a member please log in to your account to access all of our features:

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
Massa: I'll race again
Topic Started: Aug 2 2009, 05:33 PM (279 Views)
Steelstallions
Member Avatar
Driver
[ *  *  *  *  *  * ]
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/formulaon...race-again.html

Quote:
 
Felipe Massa has acknowledged he is lucky to be alive after last week's crash in the Hungarian Grand Prix - and is vowing to race again.

The Brazilian has made a swift recovery from life-saving surgery required after the accident during qualifying for the event last Saturday.

Massa was struck by a suspension spring which had worked its way off Rubens Barrichello's Brawn GP, resulting in the Brazilian crashing his Ferrari into a tyre barrier.

After the operation, Massa spent two days in a medically-induced coma, but has improved rapidly since waking earlier this week.

He plans to return home to Sao Paulo tomorrow and told the News of the World: 'I know I'm lucky to be alive.

'I don't remember anything about the accident but I will race again.'He explained: 'When I woke up I didn't know why I was in hospital, so I was asking 'why am I here?'.

'I was pulling all the tubes and Eduardo, my brother, tried to stop me - so we had a fight.

'The accident was so unlucky but I know I'm lucky to be alive. I don't remember anything of what happened.'It was my race, so when I awoke from the coma I couldn't believe it when they told me Lewis (Hamilton) had won and Kimi (Raikkonen) was second.'

Seven-times world champion Michael Schumacher visited Massa in hospital and said: 'It's good I finally made it to see Felipe - I feel better now.

'I'm surprised at his condition as the accident was only a week ago. We chatted for three hours and I feel really relieved now.'The 40-year-old German, who will deputise for Ferrari in the absence of Massa, has wasted little time in getting behind the wheel again.

With in-season testing banned, Schumacher is not allowed to drive the current Ferrari, but has been practising in an older car.

He added: 'I have to say I'm feeling muscles I was not even aware existed any more - but you cannot test for a day after such a lot of time without feeling anything.

'I'm curious to see what will happen in the coming days.'

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/formulaon...l#ixzz0N32VqMNj



Nice to have direct quotes from Massa himself. <thumbsup>
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top
 
Red Andy
Member Avatar

Moderator
Great news, though Ferrari have said that the quotes are not from Felipe Massa himself, but from his brother Edoardo. Who would have thought that the News of the World would make such an error? <rolleyes>

Ferrari also stated that Massa's first interview since his crash will be released tomorrow.
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top
 
Steelstallions
Member Avatar
Driver
[ *  *  *  *  *  * ]
Red Andy,Aug 2 2009
07:10 PM
Great news, though Ferrari have said that the quotes are not from Felipe Massa himself, but from his brother Edoardo. Who would have thought that the News of the World would make such an error? <rolleyes>

Ferrari also stated that Massa's first interview since his crash will be released tomorrow.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/motorsport...one/8180742.stm

Quote:
 
Ferrari's Felipe Massa insists he will not rush back to Formula 1 ahead of his return home to Brazil on Monday.

"Thank God, I'm feeling very well," the 28-year-old Brazilian said in a statement. "I've only a bit of swelling in the region of my left eye.

"It is important to be fully recovered before returning to the track."


BBC printed his statement
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top
 
Bear
Member Avatar
Chief Engineer
[ *  *  *  *  * ]
http://www.elpais.com/prom/200908/pro_photo1249292389.jpg


Amazing he looks so well.
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top
 
Bear
Member Avatar
Chief Engineer
[ *  *  *  *  * ]
Massa interview:
http://www.pitpass.com/fes_php/pitpass_new...es_art_id=38611
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top
 
Rob
Member Avatar

Admin
Not too bad considering what hit him at 150 mph. Perhaps a comeback this year is possible, Brazil maybe?
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top
 
John
Team Boss
[ *  *  *  *  *  *  * ]
I'm sure he will return when he is ready...

Q. Ideally he should have a test in the car to evaluate fully if he is race fit... do you think Ferrari should ask the teams permission for this... <think>
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top
 
Hissing Sid
Member Avatar
Engineer
[ *  *  *  * ]
Well John..... having a recuperating driver testing to regain familiarity as opposed to one giving testing feedback to better the car is an area that certainly needs tweeking from the powers that be, regardless of the team.
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top
 
John
Team Boss
[ *  *  *  *  *  *  * ]
Very true...

but of course a two year absence from the cockpit testing in a car with no new development parts (possibly limited to 20 laps) would not advance a teams car development much if at all either... but discussion is now a dead end. :)
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top
 
Red Andy
Member Avatar

Moderator
John,Aug 3 2009
06:03 PM
Q. Ideally he should have a test in the car to evaluate fully if he is race fit... do you think Ferrari should ask the teams permission for this... <think>

It depends whether such an evaluation could properly take place on a straight-line or constant radius track, as is stated in the regulations. It's not ideal but certainly plausible that Ferrari could make do with what is permitted rather than seeking an exemption.
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top
 
John
Team Boss
[ *  *  *  *  *  *  * ]
Red Andy,Aug 4 2009
11:58 AM
It's not ideal but certainly plausible that Ferrari could make do with what is permitted rather than seeking an exemption.

No doubt Ferrari will know better the answer to that question when they conduct similar 'permitted testing' with Schumacher this week... <thumbsup>
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top
 
Red Andy
Member Avatar

Moderator
True. They will have to be careful though, as the regulations only permit eight straight-line or constant radius tests. I don't know how many they have conducted so far this year but they could get close to the limit.
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top
 
John
Team Boss
[ *  *  *  *  *  *  * ]
thay can always ask for an excemption... what do you say Frank <roflmao>
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top
 
« Previous Topic · Formula 1 · Next Topic »
Add Reply