Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]
Welcome to The Pit Lane. We hope you enjoy your visit.


You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use. If you join our community, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customizing your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free.


Join our community!


If you're already a member please log in to your account to access all of our features:

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
FOTA vs F1; Which would you watch?
Topic Started: Jun 4 2009, 10:45 AM (765 Views)
sportsman
Member Avatar
Chief Engineer
[ *  *  *  *  * ]
Bernie has had very little to say on this.
I wonder if he has some fallback plan if FOTA teams do want to breakaway.
I wouldn't put it past him, to organise an alternative series, to avoid CVC going broke

I wonder about Bernie and Flav's new GP3 series. Supposedly standard cars, with Dallare chassis, and Renault engines.
So far there are no teams entered, and not agreat deal of information.
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top
 
Craze_b0i
Member Avatar
Refueller
[ *  *  * ]
I voted f1.

Firstly f1 has the 50 years of heritage. And presumably Williams and the other Independents would stick around. They are pretending they might leave because they want a bigger slice of the revenues from Bernie and for the teams to have more say generally.

Second, I'd rather watch independents who live-to-race than bland manufacturers (the exception being Ferrari who have a special history with f1).

Third, the FOTA series would feature no more than 6 manufacturers - and who else? What independent would want to enter when costs are so high, compared to a more regulated f1 where they need a smaller budget.

In the end it is in the interest of both FIA and FOTA to cut a deal. It is a question of who blinks first. Getting Williams on-board is a coup for the FIA. All it takes is for another team or two to give in and FOTA's bargaining position will be further weakened.
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top
 
Alien_SAP_Fiend
Member Avatar
Chief Engineer
[ *  *  *  *  * ]
Bernie will decide who watches what, as he's the one who controls the tracks and the TV coverage. FOTA's task will be a LOT harder f they have to organise the tracks themselves (not impossible, but more difficult, for sure). If Bernie backs FOTA, F1 is dead. If Bernie backs F1, then FOTA may well back down, but we're still left with far too many entrants.
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top
 
Craze_b0i
Member Avatar
Refueller
[ *  *  * ]
Entrants is not really a problem since the FIA has said the maximum is 13 teams. The rest will simply be turned away.
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top
 
Alien_SAP_Fiend
Member Avatar
Chief Engineer
[ *  *  *  *  * ]
Craze_b0i,Jun 5 2009
10:29 AM
Entrants is not really a problem since the FIA has said the maximum is 13 teams. The rest will simply be turned away.

There are 19 entries for 2010, nobody has been turned away... unless 10 of them were bogus ones to rattle FOTA.
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top
 
Brave_Lee_Flea
Member Avatar
Chief Engineer
[ *  *  *  *  * ]
stradlin24,Jun 4 2009
01:21 PM
I don't think a FOTA series would ever work, that's my opinion

When the IRL broke away from CART in 1996, the IRL had a real leader with real ideas in Tony George, a man who had a vision and the man that should have been CART president before 96

But I don't see FOTA having access to a person of that calibre, Luca Del Monte? I think not....

You know that whatever happens, the FIA will have a massive upper hand because if needs be they could self fund the new entries and almost fake a successful series given the immense power they have with circuits and tv companies

FOTA will have to completley go it alone and I can see political problems within FOTA strangling a potential series before it even got started. Plus if they aren't racing at F1 tracks then where wil they race? Will alternative tracks be up to 2010 safety standards? Will FOTA be willing to risk drivers safety as they try and put on a good show?

So many unanswered questions before we've even got anything nearly started, but the current situation between FOTA and the FIA is a massive cause for concern

Breakaway series CAN work as the IRL have proved but in the case of FOTA I just do not see it happening. Would they have a situation in 10 years when they defeat the FIA like IRL defeated CART/Champ Car? I just don't see it, my opinion

When the IRL merged back with Champ Car it was under IRL rules at IRL tracks with IRL cars with the IRL leaders. Can you honestly see that happening with FOTA and the FIA?

I'd say the current situation is a huge danger to international motorsports and the FIA and FOTA must come to an agreement before any serious action is taken

*gets ready for barrage of critisism*

No barrage of abuse, I agree with the sentiment but not with the notion of the FIA being able to fund a series themselves.

I believe that most of the monies that you discuss in that paragraph do not go to the FIA, rather they get filtered through Bernie's pocket linings and finally, probably somewhat reduced, find their way to CVC. Unless I'm wrong?

In any case with a $40 million cap in place I don't think the FIA would need to fund their own series but they would have to have the issue resolved quickly so that those new teams clamouring to get into a budget capped F1 have time to prepare.
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top
 
sportsman
Member Avatar
Chief Engineer
[ *  *  *  *  * ]
Alien_SAP_Fiend,Jun 5 2009
02:10 PM
Craze_b0i,Jun 5 2009
10:29 AM
Entrants is not really a problem since the FIA has said the maximum is 13 teams. The rest will simply be turned away.

There are 19 entries for 2010, nobody has been turned away... unless 10 of them were bogus ones to rattle FOTA.

19 entries yes. None of them accepted yet. The selection takes place on the 12th June.
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top
 
everythingoes
Member Avatar

Admin
The Team Principals of Ferrari, Toyota & Renault have clarified their stand in Fridays press conference in Istanbul. It makes interesting reading.

Link Here
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top
 
timmadigan
Member Avatar
Chief Engineer
[ *  *  *  *  * ]
I think Flavio's answer to one question is a bit telling..

"What we want is stability, stability of governance, that's what we want. I don't think it's something which is selfish or cynical"

Basically, he decided to smack back at Max and FIA - saying that the multitude of changes is getting a bit much and there's no plan or organization from the top.

Personally, I agree and love the statement :)
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top
 
RJHSaints
Member Avatar
Chief Engineer
[ *  *  *  *  * ]
Let's suppose the switch did happen and the manufacturers (including Ferrari) left.

What would happen to the drivers?

If a rival series were created I could see the likes of Hamilton, Kovalainen, Massa, Alonso, Raikkonen, Vettel, Webber, Barrichello, Button, Trulli, Glock etc. jumping ship with their teams. They're not likely going to stick around to race for Campos, Litespeed, Prodrive, or even Williams, considering their current financial situation.

Just something to ponder for craze_boi.
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top
 
Craze_b0i
Member Avatar
Refueller
[ *  *  * ]
I still doubt FOTA will break away, there will be a last minute compromise.

But, hyperthetically speaking, I don't believe the drivers would automatically follow FOTA. The drivers would go to the series that offered them the highest salary. ie. whichever series was the most profitable.

Second (after considering money), the drivers would go to the series with more prestige. And they all know that winning the f1 title makes them the official heir and successor to the likes of Prost, Senna and Schumacher. Their name would appear alongside such legends in the record books.
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top
 
timmadigan
Member Avatar
Chief Engineer
[ *  *  *  *  * ]
I'm in agreemet with RJH that most drivers will follow their teams because a) they have contracts and b) that's where the money is.

What will also drive it is the GPDA internally determining which group will survive. If they feel FOTA will eventually win, they'll stick with them and the few "WDCs" that come during a split will be second-class holders but if they feel Max will ultimately win, then a WDC against second-class teams/drivers will still be a true WDC.
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top
 
Brave_Lee_Flea
Member Avatar
Chief Engineer
[ *  *  *  *  * ]
timmadigan,Jun 6 2009
10:30 PM
I'm in agreemet with RJH that most drivers will follow their teams because a) they have contracts and b) that's where the money is.

Don't forget that driver's salary is not included in the budget cap ... so following FOTA might not be where the money is to be found as a driver.
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top
 
timmadigan
Member Avatar
Chief Engineer
[ *  *  *  *  * ]
Petra Lead,Jun 6 2009
08:46 PM
timmadigan,Jun 6 2009
10:30 PM
I'm in agreemet with RJH that most drivers will follow their teams because a) they have contracts and b) that's where the money is.

Don't forget that driver's salary is not included in the budget cap ... so following FOTA might not be where the money is to be found as a driver.

but if the teams are all needing a budget to survive the basic sport, they definately won't have the money to pay the top drivers....

just look at F1 racing throughout history to prove that.
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top
 
Brave_Lee_Flea
Member Avatar
Chief Engineer
[ *  *  *  *  * ]
timmadigan,Jun 7 2009
12:04 PM
Petra Lead,Jun 6 2009
08:46 PM
timmadigan,Jun 6 2009
10:30 PM
I'm in agreemet with RJH that most drivers will follow their teams because a) they have contracts and b) that's where the money is.

Don't forget that driver's salary is not included in the budget cap ... so following FOTA might not be where the money is to be found as a driver.

but if the teams are all needing a budget to survive the basic sport, they definately won't have the money to pay the top drivers....

just look at F1 racing throughout history to prove that.

You could be right but if the teams only need to raise $40 million rather than the current obligation of a minimum of around $100 - $150 even to compete for last there is likely to be a lot of money over even for those teams that would currently be considered "poor".

Hopefully we'll never find out for sure.
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top
 
Go to Next Page
« Previous Topic · Formula 1 · Next Topic »
Add Reply