Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]
Welcome to The New Coffee Room. We hope you enjoy your visit.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use. If you join our community, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customizing your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free.

Join our community!

If you're already a member please log in to your account to access all of our features:

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
  • Pages:
Chain migration for me, not for thee
Topic Started: Aug 9 2018, 03:52 PM (615 Views)
jon-nyc
Member Avatar
Cheers
https://www.washingtonpost.com/politics/melania-trumps-parents-become-naturalized-us-citizens-amid-the-presidents-hostility-toward-chain-migration/2018/08/09/646a4f62-9bf9-11e8-b60b-1c897f17e185_story.html
Clowns to the left of me, jokers to the right.
Online Profile Quote Post Goto Top

Catseye3
Member Avatar
Fulla-Carp
Wouldja look at that. Melania married her daddy.
"If you can't be a good example, then you'll just have to serve as a horrible warning." -- Catherine Aird
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

Aqua Letifer
Member Avatar
ZOOOOOM!
I wonder what the apologist argument is going to be.

I guess either "doesn't matter because he's doing so much unproven Winning anyway" or false false equivalence.
I cite irreconcilable differences.

taiwan_girl
Member Avatar
Fulla-Carp
Catseye3
Aug 9 2018, 04:07 PM
That is kind of weird, but money takes years off your age! LOL

Kincaid
Member Avatar
HOLY CARP!!!
Do we really want those kind of people here?
Kincaid - disgusted Republican Partisan since 2006.

Piano*Dad
Member Avatar
Bull-Carp
They're not from sh!thole countries ...

Copper
Member Avatar
Shortstop
Aqua Letifer
Aug 9 2018, 04:19 PM
I wonder what the apologist argument is going to be.

I guess either "doesn't matter because he's doing so much unproven Winning anyway" or false false equivalence.

No kidding.

And I wonder what twisted accusation the the fake news loons will throw around.

Probably something like accusing people of being apologists because they don't hate Mr. Trump and twist his words to fuel more hatred.

That's what they usually do.

And since they don't accuse anyone in particular they can just lash out at the cold cruel world of politicians and old white men because we all know they deserve it.

At least some of the loons will do that.

The Confederate soldier was peculiar in that he was ever ready to fight, but never ready to submit to the routine duty and discipline of the camp or the march. The soldiers were determined to be soldiers after their own notions, and do their duty, for the love of it, as they thought best. Carlton McCarthy

Copper
Member Avatar
Shortstop
Piano*Dad
Aug 9 2018, 05:54 PM
They're not from sh!thole countries ...

That's debatable.

The Confederate soldier was peculiar in that he was ever ready to fight, but never ready to submit to the routine duty and discipline of the camp or the march. The soldiers were determined to be soldiers after their own notions, and do their duty, for the love of it, as they thought best. Carlton McCarthy

jon-nyc
Member Avatar
Cheers
We can ask Klaus, he was just there.

John D'Oh
Member Avatar
MAMIL
Piano*Dad
Aug 9 2018, 05:54 PM
They're not obviously from sh!thole countries ...
FIFY.
What do you mean "we", have you got a mouse in your pocket?

Jolly
Member Avatar
Geaux Tigers!
It's a hit piece, pure and simple.

Her parents have been residents of the United States for 11 years. Everything was done legally, in accordance with the law and they were treated with no difference.

But little of the article is about that. it's a hit peice, it's slanted and most of it is nothing more than an anti-Trump diatribe. Now, this is why the Compost is a biased rag. Sad, but that's what it has come to...If this had been some of Barry's folks, we would have been treated to a story about hard-working immigrants and how wonderful it is they have become American citizens.
The main obstacle to a stable and just world order is the United States.- George Soros

jon-nyc
Member Avatar
Cheers
Ok, with the ad hominems out of the way, you want to address the point?

Larry
Member Avatar
Mmmmmmm, pie!
Catseye3
Aug 9 2018, 04:07 PM
And you have the gall to call ME an asshole?
Of the Pokatwat Tribe

Jolly
Member Avatar
Geaux Tigers!
jon-nyc
Aug 10 2018, 10:07 AM
Ok, with the ad hominems out of the way, you want to address the point?
It's a hit piece.

Sums it up pretty well. Pick the message and the conclusion, then make the facts fit. Pravda Lite.
The main obstacle to a stable and just world order is the United States.- George Soros

jon-nyc
Member Avatar
Cheers
Iíll take that as a Ďnoí.

George K
Member Avatar
Finally
I've not followed this too closely, but let me ask a simple question: Were any laws broken? Were any procedures skirted?

OK, that was two questions...
A guide to GKSR: Click

"Now look here, you Baltic gas passer... "
- Mik, 6/14/08

Nothing is as effective as homeopathy.

"There are 57 different genders, but politics is binary."
- David Burge, 7/29/18

jon-nyc
Member Avatar
Cheers
I doubt it. I think this proceeded just like any other chain migration. Family comes in on a family visa, is resident for a number of years, and eventually becomes naturalized.

The point of the title is Trump has railing against it while his in-laws are benefiting from it.

George K
Member Avatar
Finally
jon-nyc
Aug 10 2018, 12:24 PM
The point of the title is Trump has railing against it while his in-laws are benefiting from it.
I get that, but I think it's mischaracterized. He's been railing against illegal chain migration. The way I understand it is

1) Mom comes into US illegally.
2) Mom has baby
3) Baby is US citizen
4) Bingo - chain.

Am I wrong?

- Mik, 6/14/08

- David Burge, 7/29/18

Aqua Letifer
Member Avatar
ZOOOOOM!
I think so. Anchor babies != chain migration?

George K
Member Avatar
Finally
Aqua Letifer
Aug 10 2018, 12:33 PM
I think so. Anchor babies != chain migration?
OK - then explain "chain migration" to me. Family vouches for family? That's been going on for decades.

- Mik, 6/14/08

- David Burge, 7/29/18

Aqua Letifer
Member Avatar
ZOOOOOM!
Anchor babies are born here. I think chain migration is any attempt to make family members a citizen, regardless of the original person's citizenship history.

For example, Melania wasn't born here, but since her parents became citizens through her, it's chain migration.

In other words, all anchor babies may chain migrate their family members. Not all chain migrators are necessarily anchor babies.

jon-nyc
Member Avatar
Cheers
Well, the complaints about chain migration are usually (1) itís kind of unending, especially in cultures with lots of cousin marriage and (2) it gets around the categories of immigration that some people want to maintain. For example, itís one thing to let in the scientist, but not all of her great aunts and uncles.

George K
Member Avatar
Finally
jon-nyc
Aug 10 2018, 12:49 PM
Well, the complaints about chain migration are usually (1) itís kind of unending, especially in cultures with lots of cousin marriage and (2) it gets around the categories of immigration that some people want to maintain. For example, itís one thing to let in the scientist, but not all of her great aunts and uncles.

Obviously, my comments about "anchor babies" was wrong. As I said, I haven't followed the issue too closely.

But, as Jon points out, how far does that "chain" go? Children and their spouses? Parents? Grandparents? 3rd cousins twice removed?

This should be a matter of government policy. Most nations look at immigration policy for relatives and make their decisions based on that and other factors. The US seems to consider none of those.

- Mik, 6/14/08

- David Burge, 7/29/18

jon-nyc
Member Avatar
Cheers
Well, the newly naturalized have chains too. Thatís why it is somewhat unlimited.

Copper
Member Avatar
Shortstop

There are two key points to know about chain migration.

1. When Mr. Trump likes it, he is evil.

2. When Mr. Trump doesn't like it, he is evil.

Go to Next Page
« Previous Topic · The New Coffee Room · Next Topic »
Add Reply
  • Pages: