Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]
Welcome to The New Coffee Room. We hope you enjoy your visit.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use. If you join our community, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customizing your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free.

Join our community!

If you're already a member please log in to your account to access all of our features:

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
GMO
Topic Started: Aug 8 2018, 05:51 PM (290 Views)
George K
Member Avatar
Finally
(admitting profound ignorance here)

I'm seeing many items at the grocer that are labeled "Non-GMO".

What, exactly, does that mean? To my way of thinking, almost everything we eat is GMO. Look at how corn appeared in the 16th century, and compare it with today's corn.

I don't get it. Can someone 'splain that to me?
A guide to GKSR: Click

"Now look here, you Baltic gas passer... "
- Mik, 6/14/08

Nothing is as effective as homeopathy.

"There are 57 different genders, but politics is binary."
- David Burge, 7/29/18
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

xenon
Member Avatar
Senior Carp
My understanding is that it's BS. There's a general fear of unintended consequences of genetic engineering - but not very many specific concerns as far as I know.
Edited by xenon, Aug 8 2018, 05:57 PM.

Jolly
Member Avatar
Geaux Tigers!
Genetically Modified Organism. Primary example would be something like Round-up Ready corn.

Some people think it's ok, some think it's frankenfood.
The main obstacle to a stable and just world order is the United States.- George Soros

Catseye3
Member Avatar
Fulla-Carp
I wouldn't call it BS. It's more that the jury is still out.

GMO stands for genetically modified organisms. "GMOs are living organisms whose genetic material has been artificially manipulated in a laboratory through genetic engineering. This creates combinations of plant, animal, bacteria, and virus genes that do not occur in nature or through traditional crossbreeding methods."

I'm not 100% sure of this, and I'm too lazy to confirm it, but a GM plant like corn, for example, has had a gene introduced that increases its resistance to pests.

From Greatist: "On the other hand, crops can be modified to be resistant to weed killers, which means you can spray entire fields with herbicide, easily knocking out every stray weed in sight without any risk of damaging the big moneymakers."

And people are concerned about herbicides like Roundup in their food supply.

Food producers have cottoned on that labelling their product "non-GMO" makes for increased sales. That is, if it is non-GMO. It would not be kosher to label a GMO food "non-GMO". :tsktsk:

There's more to it, but that's at least some of the bare bones.
"If you can't be a good example, then you'll just have to serve as a horrible warning." -- Catherine Aird

Copper
Member Avatar
Shortstop

My understanding

Good

Bigger, better, faster, stronger crops, yields more food and higher profits

Bad

Unknown effects caused by people who don't really understand what they are doing, but they are motivated by profit, or hunger, so they don't really care if it is bad for me as long as they make their greedy old white man profits, or reduce hunger.

The Confederate soldier was peculiar in that he was ever ready to fight, but never ready to submit to the routine duty and discipline of the camp or the march. The soldiers were determined to be soldiers after their own notions, and do their duty, for the love of it, as they thought best. Carlton McCarthy

Luke's Dad
Member Avatar
Emperor Pengin
Catseye3
Aug 8 2018, 06:14 PM
I wouldn't call it BS. It's more that the jury is still out.

GMO stands for genetically modified organisms. "GMOs are living organisms whose genetic material has been artificially manipulated in a laboratory through genetic engineering. This creates combinations of plant, animal, bacteria, and virus genes that do not occur in nature or through traditional crossbreeding methods."

I'm not 100% sure of this, and I'm too lazy to confirm it, but a GM plant like corn, for example, has had a gene introduced that increases its resistance to pests.

From Greatist: "On the other hand, crops can be modified to be resistant to weed killers, which means you can spray entire fields with herbicide, easily knocking out every stray weed in sight without any risk of damaging the big moneymakers."

And people are concerned about herbicides like Roundup in their food supply.

Food producers have cottoned on that labelling their product "non-GMO" makes for increased sales. That is, if it is non-GMO. It would not be kosher to label a GMO food "non-GMO". :tsktsk:

There's more to it, but that's at least some of the bare bones.
Which jury? Because 100's have come in and said not guilty. Obviously they are wrong because
"FRANKENFOOD!"
The problem with having an open mind is that people keep trying to put things in it.

Luke's Dad
Member Avatar
Emperor Pengin
Here's a Jury that came in: https://allianceforscience.cornell.edu/blog/2016/05/gmo-safety-debate-is-over/
The problem with having an open mind is that people keep trying to put things in it.

Catseye3
Member Avatar
Fulla-Carp
Fine, whatever.
"If you can't be a good example, then you'll just have to serve as a horrible warning." -- Catherine Aird

John D'Oh
Member Avatar
MAMIL
Luke's Dad
Aug 8 2018, 07:29 PM
Quote:

If you vaccinate your kids and believe that climate change is real, you need to stop being scared of genetically modified foods.

The number of Americans that believe in all three of these is probably about 42.
What do you mean "we", have you got a mouse in your pocket?

Copper
Member Avatar
Shortstop

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4sKzPBu2M8A

The Confederate soldier was peculiar in that he was ever ready to fight, but never ready to submit to the routine duty and discipline of the camp or the march. The soldiers were determined to be soldiers after their own notions, and do their duty, for the love of it, as they thought best. Carlton McCarthy

jon-nyc
Member Avatar
Cheers
Count me on the ‘BS’ side. Waiting for them to develop a mango with no pot.
Clowns to the left of me, jokers to the right.

Larry
Member Avatar
Mmmmmmm, pie!
George K
Aug 8 2018, 05:51 PM
(admitting profound ignorance here)

I'm seeing many items at the grocer that are labeled "Non-GMO".

What, exactly, does that mean? To my way of thinking, almost everything we eat is GMO. Look at how corn appeared in the 16th century, and compare it with today's corn.

I don't get it. Can someone 'splain that to me?
For the same reason youll find things labeled "organic" - food processors as well as grocers know their job is to make money, not educate the ignorant. As long as there are enough people willing to pay more for things called "non-GMO" or "organic", they will package stuff with those labels. If "hand picked" became a thing, you'd start seeing bins of hand picked items that sll for more than regular stuff. Only few if any would actually be picked by hand...

There's a produce stand in town with a big sign that says "locally grown". But his watermelons come from Florida, his tomatoes come from central America, etc. When you ask him why his sign says locally grown he tells you that he gets them all from one place -a wholesaler about 30 miles away.

The GMO thing is ridiculous. So is "organic".
Of the Pokatwat Tribe

Mikhailoh
Member Avatar
If you want trouble, find yourself a redhead
You cannot put the genetic genie back in the bottle any more than we have any other advance.
"I have strong feelings about gun control. If there's a gun around, I want to be controlling it." Clint Eastwood, Pink Cadillac

Luke's Dad
Member Avatar
Emperor Pengin
GMO's made me Trans!

Axtremus
Member Avatar
HOLY CARP!!!
I disregard such labels as “non-GMO”, “organic”, “fair trade”, etc.

Larry
Member Avatar
Mmmmmmm, pie!
Axtremus
Aug 9 2018, 09:43 AM
I disregard such labels as “non-GMO”, “organic”, “fair trade”, etc.
That's because you can't distinguish between fact and fiction.
Of the Pokatwat Tribe

sue
Member Avatar
HOLY CARP!!!
Mikhailoh
Aug 9 2018, 08:53 AM
You cannot put the genetic genie back in the bottle any more than we have any other advance.
True, but it doesn't mean we shouldn't stop and ask ourselves if all this was such a good idea. Just because we can doesn't always mean we should.

Qaanaaq-Liaaq
Member Avatar
Senior Carp
See the documentary movie “The Future of Food”. It’s been a few years since I saw it and as I remember, it’s mostly farmers who object to Monsanto and their GMO seeds.

I don’t know if stickers or labels have to be attached to GMO food. It might be coming though because irradiated food has to have a sticker.

While we’re on the subject of food labeling, if you see a Lotus flower sticker on a fruit or vegetable, it means that it was irradiated and the sticker is required. Has anyone seen this sticker recently? It’s been a long time since I last saw one in a store. Maybe the stores in my area don’t want to carry them?

Irradiated means the fruit or vegetable was passed through a radiation chamber. The radiation kills microorganisms resulting in a longer shelf life. The last I heard about it was that irradiation of food does not cause any harmful effects. But some think irradiation can cause harmful transformations to food that are unknown to us now. There used to be a company located near where I live that irradiated food and artificial body parts. I don’t know if they’re still there.

Larry
Member Avatar
Mmmmmmm, pie!
The reason farmers whine about Monsanto's seeds is because Monsanto won't allow them to plant seeds harvested from the plants they grew with the Monsanto seeds they bought to plant them.
Of the Pokatwat Tribe

Luke's Dad
Member Avatar
Emperor Pengin
In fairness to Monsanto, that policy is clearly laid out in their agreement with farmers.

In fairness to farmers, Monsanto is staffed by a bunch of dicks.

Larry
Member Avatar
Mmmmmmm, pie!
I prefer Croplan seeds anyway..
Of the Pokatwat Tribe

Qaanaaq-Liaaq
Member Avatar
Senior Carp
Larry
Aug 9 2018, 11:08 AM
The reason farmers whine about Monsanto's seeds is because Monsanto won't allow them to plant seeds harvested from the plants they grew with the Monsanto seeds they bought to plant them.
Yes, that and farmers also complained that they would be charged for having used Monsanto’s seeds even if they didn’t plant with Monsanto’s seeds.

Wind and erosion can scatter seeds from a neighboring farm who uses Monsanto seeds onto a non-GMO farm. The result is that some of a non-GMO farmer’s crops would be some GMO and some non-GMO.

Non-GMO farmers say they’re being hauled into court and sued by Monsanto if they don’t pay up. I don’t recall the reverse situation being mentioned in the doc.: GMO farmers being sued by non-GMO seed producers if some of their crops are non-GMO.

Luke's Dad
Member Avatar
Emperor Pengin
Qaanaaq-Liaaq
Aug 9 2018, 01:31 PM
Larry
Aug 9 2018, 11:08 AM
Yes, that and farmers also complained that they would be charged for having used Monsanto’s seeds even if they didn’t plant with Monsanto’s seeds.

Wind and erosion can scatter seeds from a neighboring farm who uses Monsanto seeds onto a non-GMO farm. The result is that some of a non-GMO farmer’s crops would be some GMO and some non-GMO.

Non-GMO farmers say they’re being hauled into court and sued by Monsanto if they don’t pay up. I don’t recall the reverse situation being mentioned in the doc.: GMO farmers being sued by non-GMO seed producers if some of their crops are non-GMO.
Like I said...

Jolly
Member Avatar
Geaux Tigers!
Wind blows. Bees fly.

'Nuff said.
The main obstacle to a stable and just world order is the United States.- George Soros

« Previous Topic · The New Coffee Room · Next Topic »
Add Reply