Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]
Welcome to The New Coffee Room. We hope you enjoy your visit.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use. If you join our community, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customizing your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free.

Join our community!

If you're already a member please log in to your account to access all of our features:

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
How are you sleeping?
Topic Started: Aug 8 2018, 03:23 PM (211 Views)
George K
Member Avatar
Finally
I know Jon's going to live forever, but I've found that my sleeping habits have changed since I retired, about 2 years ago.

I used to go to bed around 10:30, and more often than not, my alarm would wake me at 5 or 5:30 AM.

Things have changed.

Now, I find myself fading out at about 9:30. I *try* to read, or watch some TV when I hit the sack, but, more often than not, I doze off and Mrs. George wakes me to get me to take my earbuds out and shut down my iPad within half an hour. My 68-year-old prostate may call to me at about 2 or 3 in the morning, but I find myself *still* waking up early. Now, it's about 4:30 or 5. Today, it was 4 AM.

Pisses me off.

The days where I sleep until 6 or 6:30 seem like such a luxury to me now.
A guide to GKSR: Click

"Now look here, you Baltic gas passer... "
- Mik, 6/14/08

Nothing is as effective as homeopathy.

"There are 57 different genders, but politics is binary."
- David Burge, 7/29/18
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

Catseye3
Member Avatar
Fulla-Carp
Lethargy, maybe?
"If you can't be a good example, then you'll just have to serve as a horrible warning." -- Catherine Aird

Jolly
Member Avatar
Geaux Tigers!
11P-6A. I do tend to fade out after lunch for an hour or so.

Haven't slept over three hours at a stretch in years.
The main obstacle to a stable and just world order is the United States.- George Soros

George K
Member Avatar
Finally
Catseye3
Aug 8 2018, 03:32 PM
Lethargy, maybe?
Of my many faults, that's *really* low on the list.

- Mik, 6/14/08

- David Burge, 7/29/18

Aqua Letifer
Member Avatar
ZOOOOOM!
FWIW, my dad did the exact same thing after he retired.

I wake up at 5:30 every morning now. Get about 5-6 hours of sleep on average. Effing hate it.
I cite irreconcilable differences.

Catseye3
Member Avatar
Fulla-Carp
George K
Aug 8 2018, 03:35 PM
Catseye3
Aug 8 2018, 03:32 PM
Lethargy, maybe?
Of my many faults, that's *really* low on the list.

Please don't misunderstand. I didn't mean that as a criticism.

I don't have enough to do that's interesting and absorbing these days. This seems to lead to more sleep than I need or want. Lethargy of non-stimulus.

That's what I meant. You fall asleep earlier than you'd like, and wake up earlier as a result.
"If you can't be a good example, then you'll just have to serve as a horrible warning." -- Catherine Aird

George K
Member Avatar
Finally
I didn't take that as a criticism, at all!

I was just commenting to Mrs. George about how retirement has agreed with me so well. I'm busy as I want to be. Every day is Saturday, if I want it to be. I can be lethargic, or not - my choice.

I'm just amazed that I'm sleeping as little (or less!) than I did when I was working.

- Mik, 6/14/08

- David Burge, 7/29/18

Jolly
Member Avatar
Geaux Tigers!
The wife dropped in her old employer the other day...He turned 80 and just had a hip replaced recently. He was very happy with how it turned out...With the addition of two new knees and a shoulder, he can now play tennis again!

It's all about having a reason to wake up in the morning....
The main obstacle to a stable and just world order is the United States.- George Soros

Copper
Member Avatar
Shortstop
George K
Aug 8 2018, 03:23 PM

waking up early.

I sleep pretty consistently 7-8 hours going to bed before 11:00, reading for a while and waking at maybe 7 or 7:30. I think regular exercise helps, I pass out pretty quickly.

One thing that will disrupt that is alcohol. A few beers will wake me up between 3:00 and 5:00 every time.

A shot of whisky might wake me up in the middle of the night but usually it will take a couple drinks.

But any time I have 2 or more drinks it will wake me a couple hours early. This is consistent. This started happening maybe 5-10 years ago and it took me a while to recognize it.

https://www.huffingtonpost.com/entry/how-alcohol-affects-sleep_us_595fbd02e4b0615b9e91273c
The Confederate soldier was peculiar in that he was ever ready to fight, but never ready to submit to the routine duty and discipline of the camp or the march. The soldiers were determined to be soldiers after their own notions, and do their duty, for the love of it, as they thought best. Carlton McCarthy

Davis
Member Avatar
Fulla-Carp
I could have written Copperís post for myself.

Riley
Member Avatar
HOLY CARP!!!
I get home around 6:30am most days, usually pass out by 8-9am. Always wake up at least once, generally around 11-12am. Sometimes I can get right back to sleep, sometimes I get up for an hour or so, and then Iíll sleep through to my alarm at 5pm, a couple snoozes then out of bed by 5:30.
Online Profile Quote Post Goto Top

Klaus
Member Avatar
HOLY CARP!!!
12 to 6:30 during the week. 1 to 10 or so on weekends.
Trifonov Fleisher Klaus Sokolov Zimmerman
Online Profile Quote Post Goto Top

jon-nyc
Member Avatar
Cheers
pussies.
Clowns to the left of me, jokers to the right.

John D'Oh
Member Avatar
MAMIL
My newly acquired Fitbit tells me I sleep a lot less than I thought I did. It appears I get less than 6 hours most nights. The hot weather probably doesn't help.
What do you mean "we", have you got a mouse in your pocket?

Aqua Letifer
Member Avatar
ZOOOOOM!
John D'Oh
Aug 9 2018, 04:07 AM
My newly acquired Fitbit tells me I sleep a lot less than I thought I did. It appears I get less than 6 hours most nights. The hot weather probably doesn't help.
It counts "awake" time as not sleeping, which I think is kinda crap; if you can't remember being awake, then you weren't awake.

If it says you're getting about 6 a night, by normal metrics that's close to 8.
I cite irreconcilable differences.

Mikhailoh
Member Avatar
If you want trouble, find yourself a redhead
Davis
Aug 8 2018, 06:24 PM
I could have written Copperís post for myself.
Me too. I have had to seriously cut back on evening alcohol. Two drinks I'm OK. More than that and I will get the 3 AM Wine Wake Up Call. Hate it.
"I have strong feelings about gun control. If there's a gun around, I want to be controlling it." Clint Eastwood, Pink Cadillac

Larry
Member Avatar
Mmmmmmm, pie!
I don't like to sleep. I'm afraid I'll miss something.....
Of the Pokatwat Tribe

« Previous Topic · The New Coffee Room · Next Topic »
Add Reply