Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]
Welcome to The New Coffee Room. We hope you enjoy your visit.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use. If you join our community, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customizing your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free.

Join our community!

If you're already a member please log in to your account to access all of our features:

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
  • Pages:
Our Trip to the East
Topic Started: Jul 27 2018, 03:22 AM (471 Views)
bachophile
Member Avatar
HOLY CARP!!!
Klaus
Aug 5 2018, 09:44 AM
The Vienna Central Cemetery is probably my favorite cemetery in the world. Everybody visits the graves of Beethoven, Brahms, Strauss etc., but I find it more interesting to identify the "B list" celebrities and study the often quite interesting and/or amusing tombstone inscriptions.
[IMG][url=https://postimg.cc/image/gquiw9jt7/]Posted Image[/url]image storage[/IMG]

on my A list

[IMG][url=https://postimg.cc/image/65anjw33f/]Posted Image[/url]how to use print screen[/IMG]

in the more remote part of the cemetary is the jewish section, only other visitors besides me were these guys...

[IMG][url=https://postimg.cc/image/4dhopb4ej/]Posted Image[/url]image hosting website[/IMG]

i know u guys cant read this, but there is a reference to vienna as the "royal city", back to when there was an emperor in town

"I don't know much about classical music. For years I thought the Goldberg Variations were something Mr. and Mrs. Goldberg did on their wedding night." Woody Allen
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

bachophile
Member Avatar
HOLY CARP!!!
not sure why those postimage links appear the way they do, but im too lazy to change
"I don't know much about classical music. For years I thought the Goldberg Variations were something Mr. and Mrs. Goldberg did on their wedding night." Woody Allen

bachophile
Member Avatar
HOLY CARP!!!
theodor in his prime....

Posted Image

Klaus
Member Avatar
HOLY CARP!!!
Quote:

Billroth was a talented amateur pianist and violinist. He met Brahms in the 1860s, when the composer was a rising star of the Viennese musical scene. They became close friends and shared musical insights. Brahms frequently sent Billroth his original manuscripts in order to get his opinion before publication, and Billroth participated as a musician in trial rehearsals of many of Brahms' chamber works before their first performances. Brahms dedicated his first two string quartets, Opus 51, to Billroth.

Billroth and Brahms, together with the acerbic and influential Viennese music critic Eduard Hanslick, formed the core of the musical conservatives who opposed the innovations of Richard Wagner and Franz Liszt. In the conflict, known as the War of the Romantics, Billroth supported Brahms, but was always fair and measured in his comments. "Wagner was indeed a very considerable talent in many directions," he wrote in 1888.[8]

Damn. What a guy!

From what I can see, He was also somewhat antisemitic, though.
Trifonov Fleisher Klaus Sokolov Zimmerman
Online Profile Quote Post Goto Top

bachophile
Member Avatar
HOLY CARP!!!
hey, wasnt everyone then?

bachophile
Member Avatar
HOLY CARP!!!
Posted Image

notice the dedication

brenda
Member Avatar
Klaus
Jul 27 2018, 03:22 AM
starts next week. We'll spend a few days in Bavaria, then head east to Vienna, then to Bled in Slovenia, then a couple of days at the Mediterranean Sea in Croatia, then a few mountain days in Austria, then back home. It's a bit of everything.
Wow. That's a great itinerary, Klaus. Take a pic of everything, including the camper. I want to imagine your family coexisting in this thing.

When I was age 7, my parents took us from Minnesoooooooota to Florida, and we used a tent for camping. I still remember the tree frogs covering the car windshield in the morning.

Watch out for the frogs! :)
“Weeds are flowers, too, once you get to know them.”
~A.A. Milne

Klaus
Member Avatar
HOLY CARP!!!
OK, now that we are back it's time for a few (rather random) conclusions:

1. Slovenia has amazingly beautiful nature. We've spent a lot of time in the Triglav national park, which has amazing mountains, crystal-clear blue rivers, and super-green forests.
Posted Image

We walked on this path, too:

Posted Image

Our local village, Bled, was quite pittoresque.

Posted Image

We also visited an amazing cave, protected as Unesco world heritage site.

Posted Image

2. The Mediterranean sea seems to be somewhat annoying everywhere. Much too busy, too hot, too "touristy". I don't think we'll go there again in the forseeable future.

3. Vienna, a city of barely 2 million citizens, has more interesting things to see and do than many megacities like Tokyo.

4. Camping in North America is about experiencing nature. Camping in Europe is about entertainment and experiencing people. We've had enough of the latter, but maybe we'll do the former again.

5. In Europe, the number of honks directed at you in your car grows proportionally with how south you are.

George K
Member Avatar
Finally
As someone said, you should rent a Class-A motorhome and go "glamping" in the US. It would be great.
A guide to GKSR: Click

"Now look here, you Baltic gas passer... "
- Mik, 6/14/08

Nothing is as effective as homeopathy.

"There are 57 different genders, but politics is binary."
- David Burge, 7/29/18

Catseye3
Member Avatar
Fulla-Carp
Thanks, Klaus. Love the last picture -- it looks spookily like a cityscape, maybe even a specific one like Manhatten! Kinda. From a distance. If you close one eye.
"If you can't be a good example, then you'll just have to serve as a horrible warning." -- Catherine Aird

Davis
Member Avatar
Fulla-Carp
Klaus
Aug 9 2018, 12:52 AM
Klaus
Jul 30 2018, 10:30 AM
Klaus
Jul 27 2018, 04:35 AM
Its our first vacation with a trailer. There's a little voice in me which says that it will probably almost certainly also be the last.
Fixed.
No way am I ever..

Until hell freezes over...

The horror. The horror.

:lol2:

Davis
Member Avatar
Fulla-Carp
Vivid colors. What camera is this?

sue
Member Avatar
HOLY CARP!!!
Wow, Slovenia looks fantastic!! Are those your photos?

Klaus
Member Avatar
HOLY CARP!!!
sue
Aug 13 2018, 03:56 PM
Wow, Slovenia looks fantastic!! Are those your photos?
Nope. I was too lazy to take good photos this time.

Rainman
Member Avatar
Fulla-Carp
Wow is right, what a beautiful area!

Hope you have some pictures of camping. I'm curious if there are the same huge motorhomes or 5th-wheels towing a massive trailer like we have here, where the silence is filled with the sound of obnoxious generators in the evening.

Are the campgrounds typically private, or run by the municipality or State? Not like I could go there, unless someone builds a very long bridge. Just curious.

Beautiful scenery, so picturesque!

Copper
Member Avatar
Shortstop

Here is a good photo of Slovenia

Posted Image
The Confederate soldier was peculiar in that he was ever ready to fight, but never ready to submit to the routine duty and discipline of the camp or the march. The soldiers were determined to be soldiers after their own notions, and do their duty, for the love of it, as they thought best. Carlton McCarthy

jon-nyc
Member Avatar
Cheers
Klaus
Aug 13 2018, 02:57 PM
1. Slovenia has amazingly beautiful nature.
And yet...

Spoiler: click to toggle
Clowns to the left of me, jokers to the right.

taiwan_girl
Member Avatar
Fulla-Carp
Klaus, that sounds like you had a really neat trip.

Enjoyed hearing about it!

« Previous Topic · The New Coffee Room · Next Topic »
Add Reply
  • Pages: