Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]
Welcome to The New Coffee Room. We hope you enjoy your visit.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use. If you join our community, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customizing your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free.

Join our community!

If you're already a member please log in to your account to access all of our features:

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
Luke and I had our first handgun lesson today.; The thread to make Jolly happy
Topic Started: Jul 12 2018, 11:44 AM (166 Views)
Luke's Dad
Member Avatar
Emperor Pengin
I say first, because I don't think it will be our only...That was fun.

We're on vacation, and we brought his friend, since it's not much fun to be 15 and on vacation with Mom & Dad. It's a little stormy today, so we decided to take a handgun lesson since the boys (both scouts) really pushed in it. Guns aren't my thing, but I still think it's important to understand them properly, so we went to the range.

The weapon was a .22 Ruger semiautomatic pistol. Jessie, the young lady that was our instructor put us through a 10 minute safety and education presentation then off to the range. We each had 50 rounds. The first 10 were from 5 yards at your own pace, then 10 rounds at 7 yards. The next ten were at seven yards, but she wanted us to double tap, then 10 rounds where she would call out different numbers and we had to rapid fire that many rounds. The final ten rounds were a competition at 10 yards at our own pace.

Luke's buddy did well. Luke did great. So well that the instructor was asking if there were competitive shooting events for his age in our area. I should also point out that the rifle instructor at his last scout camp invited him to work as his assistant next year for $150 a week.

The surprise was me. She would not believe that was the first time I shot a pistol. Out of the 40 non competitive rounds, 17 in the bulls, 14 in the ring outside, and 7 in the second ring. Two of my rapid fire were a little off, but still would have been solid hits.

In the competition round, I scored 82 of 100 possible points. Lucas did well at 67.

Going back to try a Glock 9 millimeter...
The problem with having an open mind is that people keep trying to put things in it.
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

jon-nyc
Member Avatar
Cheers
You missed your calling.

Posted Image
In my defense, I was left unsupervised.

Jolly
Member Avatar
Geaux Tigers!
Some people are natural shots. And I've noticed it runs in families.

Enjoy, but always, always be safe.

Hope you enjoy your range time. Pistol, rifle and shotgun are all different skills. If y'all haven't tried some sporting clays yet, that's another very fun day.

The main obstacle to a stable and just world order is the United States.- George Soros

Jolly
Member Avatar
Geaux Tigers!
If you like to compete, 3-gun matches are all the rage right now. But that can run into some serious $ if you want to win. Something that might appeal to a competitive nature is a VMR match and those can be done a lot cheaper. If I was competing in those, I'd look very hard for a Model 38 Swede. Fairly light, usually shoot very well without near the kick of a German 98 and are very accurate for a service rifle.

Some background:

https://www.ssusa.org/articles/2018/2/20/how-to-select-a-vmr-that-s-best-for-you/
The main obstacle to a stable and just world order is the United States.- George Soros

Luke's Dad
Member Avatar
Emperor Pengin
M&M's wanted a turn, so we went back. While she was taking her lesson, I rented a Beretta CX-4 Beretta 9 mil Rifle for the boys and I to try out. Interesting weapon. It's built on their pistol platform. The grip and trigger feel like the pistol, and the magazine is a pistol magazine and loads into the butt. It was originally designed for law enforcement as the magazines would be interchangeable with their service pistols. It was a nice weapon.
The problem with having an open mind is that people keep trying to put things in it.

Jolly
Member Avatar
Geaux Tigers!
Pistol caliber carbines are fun to play with. That's basically what a M1 carbine is. Low recoil and you can actually hit stuff out to a hundred yards or so.

How was the wife's experience at the range?

« Previous Topic · The New Coffee Room · Next Topic »
Add Reply