Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]
Welcome to The New Coffee Room. We hope you enjoy your visit.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use. If you join our community, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customizing your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free.

Join our community!

If you're already a member please log in to your account to access all of our features:

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
New Macbooks released
Topic Started: Jul 12 2018, 11:15 AM (131 Views)
Klaus
Member Avatar
HOLY CARP!!!
https://www.wired.com/story/macbook-pro-with-touch-bar-2018/

I'll give this a few more days of thought and then, very grudgingly, buy one.
Trifonov Fleisher Klaus Sokolov Zimmerman
Online Profile Quote Post Goto Top

Axtremus
Member Avatar
HOLY CARP!!!
Which one? The 13 inch or the 15 inch? i7 or i9? 4 cores, 6 cores, or 8 cores?
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

Klaus
Member Avatar
HOLY CARP!!!
I've ordered the 13 inch 4 core machine, together with a big bag of dongles of all kinds. I assume it will be a noticeable performance difference to my current 2014 Macbook Pro.
They better have those keyboard problems fixed in the model or else...

The only thing that makes the lack of ports a little more bearable is that you can buy third party adapters, since USB-C is not a proprietary technology.

Axtremus
Member Avatar
HOLY CARP!!!
USB-C is mostly fine if I stay only within the USB function. The power delivery function still seems a bit immature, and Thunderbolt 3 support outside of Apple is disappointing. I haven't been able to find a reliable USB-C + Thunderbolt 3 to <lots of other ports> hub with sufficient power delivery capability. It's like the industry just doesn't have any good chipset to fully realize the combined USB-C + Thunderbolt 3 + Power delivery "one port to rule them all" vision on which Apple placed all its bet. May be by November this year a better chipset would come around so we get better choices with USB-C/Thunderbolt 3 power delivery hubs.

jon-nyc
Member Avatar
Cheers
Why buy it if itís so begrudging? Do you feel you should have one for professional reasons?

My wife will probably buy one to replace her 2008 Mac Pro. (The old floor-standing tower model)
In my defense, I was left unsupervised.

Klaus
Member Avatar
HOLY CARP!!!
jon-nyc
Jul 13 2018, 07:35 AM
Why buy it if itís so begrudging? Do you feel you should have one for professional reasons?

My wife will probably buy one to replace her 2008 Mac Pro. (The old floor-standing tower model)
Well, the old one is getting slow, battery life isn't good anymore etc.

The only reason I buy Mac it is because I want OS X. It is possible to install OSX (not quite legally) on other laptops, but it's an unreliable hack.

Hence for me it is a tradeoff between my disgust for Windows and my disgust for Apple hardware. If I could properly install OS X on a Thinkpad, I'd happily pay twice the price that a Thinkpad usually costs.

Aqua Letifer
Member Avatar
ZOOOOOM!
I'm done with Macs, at least for now. I don't want to keep buying a laptop and a tablet, that's stupid. The tablet I don't need, but it is damn handy. I could stick with the Mac OS and just upgrade the laptop, but why do that when there are some great 2-in-1s out there now? Add to that a very reliable touchscreen that you can actually use with Adobe products and I just don't see the benefit of sticking with Macs anymore.
I cite irreconcilable differences.

John D'Oh
Member Avatar
MAMIL
Alienware, baby, and a cheap 2-in-1 for the other stuff.
What do you mean "we", have you got a mouse in your pocket?

Aqua Letifer
Member Avatar
ZOOOOOM!
Alienware, D'oh, really? Please tell me you're on Twitch. I'd peg you for a speedrun kinda guy?

Klaus
Member Avatar
HOLY CARP!!!
Aqua Letifer
Jul 13 2018, 08:54 AM
I'm done with Macs, at least for now. I don't want to keep buying a laptop and a tablet, that's stupid. The tablet I don't need, but it is damn handy. I could stick with the Mac OS and just upgrade the laptop, but why do that when there are some great 2-in-1s out there now? Add to that a very reliable touchscreen that you can actually use with Adobe products and I just don't see the benefit of sticking with Macs anymore.
I need a Unix environment for all kinds of stuff. I'm a command-line guy. That's why I'm not nearly as productive on a Windows PC. I'd install Linux, but that sucks for other reasons.

John D'Oh
Member Avatar
MAMIL
Quote:

Alienware, D'oh, really? Please tell me you're on Twitch. I'd peg you for a speedrun kinda guy?

Sorry, no. However, now you've got me thinking.

I could probably do whatever the opposite of a speedrun is.
What do you mean "we", have you got a mouse in your pocket?

George K
Member Avatar
Finally
Replacing the battery on Mrs. George's MacBook Air is stupid-easy, if a bit tedious.

I wonder if it's difficult on a MacBook Pro.
A guide to GKSR: Click

"Now look here, you Baltic gas passer... "
- Mik, 6/14/08

Nothing is as effective as homeopathy.

I'd rather listen to an hour of Abba than an hour of The Beatles.
- Klaus, 4/29/18

Aqua Letifer
Member Avatar
ZOOOOOM!
Klaus
Jul 13 2018, 09:14 AM
Aqua Letifer
Jul 13 2018, 08:54 AM
I need a Unix environment for all kinds of stuff. I'm a command-line guy. That's why I'm not nearly as productive on a Windows PC. I'd install Linux, but that sucks for other reasons.
Yeah, that makes sense. If that were the case for me I'd probably not switch, either. I just see too much utility with 2-in-1s to not give 'em a try.

George K
Member Avatar
Finally
George K
Jul 13 2018, 09:42 AM
Replacing the battery on Mrs. George's MacBook Air is stupid-easy, if a bit tedious.

I wonder if it's difficult on a MacBook Pro.
https://www.apple.com/support/macbookpro/en/battery_body.html

A DIY solution:

https://eshop.macsales.com/search/?q=battery
A guide to GKSR: Click

"Now look here, you Baltic gas passer... "
- Mik, 6/14/08

Nothing is as effective as homeopathy.

I'd rather listen to an hour of Abba than an hour of The Beatles.
- Klaus, 4/29/18

« Previous Topic · The New Coffee Room · Next Topic »
Add Reply