Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]
Welcome to The New Coffee Room. We hope you enjoy your visit.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use. If you join our community, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customizing your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free.

Join our community!

If you're already a member please log in to your account to access all of our features:

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
More blank slate confusion
Topic Started: Jul 12 2018, 10:46 AM (158 Views)
jon-nyc
Member Avatar
Cheers
Adopted children have higher rates of behavioral and learning problems and lower achievement on reading math, and science assessment tests, despite (typically) wealthy parents that most definitely want the job of parenting and put in the time and resources.

Gosh, what could it be? Did anyone call Stephen Pinker? Or a biologist? Or even a farmer?

https://www.theatlantic.com/he...r-after-myth/418230/
In my defense, I was left unsupervised.
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

Jolly
Member Avatar
Geaux Tigers!
Well, we have a choice:

1. Abort them and kill them in the womb.
2. Let them be born, then tie them up in a sack and chunk them in the nearest water.

The first generates body parts for the wealthy. The latter helps feed the fish, which in turn helps with world hunger.

I guess it's a pick 'em.
The main obstacle to a stable and just world order is the United States.- George Soros

jon-nyc
Member Avatar
Cheers
The post isn't about whether adoption is good or bad, it's clearly an unmitigated good.

Rather it's about the fact that social scientists choose to live in this environmental-determinist fog.

Klaus
Member Avatar
HOLY CARP!!!
jon-nyc
Jul 12 2018, 10:51 AM
The post isn't about whether adoption is good or bad, it's clearly an unmitigated good.

Rather it's about the fact that social scientists choose to live in this environmental-determinist fog.
I, too, think that genes play a role here, but this case is unlikely to change a "blank slater"'s opinion because there's an alternative explanation that fits into blank slate dogma: The trauma of finding out you are adopted makes all the difference.
Trifonov Fleisher Klaus Sokolov Zimmerman
Online Profile Quote Post Goto Top

Aqua Letifer
Member Avatar
ZOOOOOM!
Klaus
Jul 12 2018, 11:13 AM
jon-nyc

I, too, think that genes play a role here, but this case is unlikely to change a "blank slater"'s opinion because there's an alternative explanation that fits into blank slate dogma: The trauma of finding out you are adopted makes all the difference.
Most adoptees who have parents worth their salt never "find out"; the typical thing to do—and that's advocated—is to tell the kids this starting at about the time they can understand their parents so that they always know it.
I cite irreconcilable differences.

Klaus
Member Avatar
HOLY CARP!!!
Aqua Letifer
Jul 12 2018, 11:17 AM
Klaus
Jul 12 2018, 11:13 AM
jon-nyc

Most adoptees who have parents worth their salt never "find out"; the typical thing to do—and that's advocated—is to tell the kids this starting at about the time they can understand their parents so that they always know it.
True, but one could still argue that there are psychological implications of knowing you are an adopted child, hence it is not "proof" that blank slate is wrong.
Trifonov Fleisher Klaus Sokolov Zimmerman

jon-nyc
Member Avatar
Cheers
Again, the point wasn't that this proves the causes are genetic.

The point was that social scientists (and/or the media that reports them) doesn't even consider genetics as a possible factor. That is quite common.

Aqua Letifer
Member Avatar
ZOOOOOM!
Klaus
Jul 12 2018, 11:22 AM
True, but one could still argue that there are psychological implications of knowing you are an adopted child, hence it is not "proof" that blank slate is wrong.
Internationally adopted children are categorically more susceptable to FASDs, which basically throws blank slaters right out.

Horace
Member Avatar
HOLY CARP!!!
I have one adopted sibling and one genetic sibling. That’s how I’ve known from a young age that there are profound genetic differences between people which are way more than skin deep.
As a good person, I implore you to do as I, a good person, do. Be good. Do NOT be bad. If you see bad, end bad. End it in yourself, and end it in others. By any means necessary, the good must conquer the bad. Good people know this. Do you know this? Are you good?

Aqua Letifer
Member Avatar
ZOOOOOM!
jon-nyc
Jul 12 2018, 11:24 AM
Again, the point wasn't that this proves the causes are genetic.

The point was that social scientists (and/or the media that reports them) doesn't even consider genetics as a possible factor. That is quite common.
Well, yeah. It's a very unfun realm of science to report on.

jon-nyc
Member Avatar
Cheers
Horace
Jul 12 2018, 11:26 AM
I have one adopted sibling and one genetic sibling. That’s how I’ve known from a young age that there are profound genetic differences between people which are way more than skin deep.
Econ guy - adopted or natural?

Aqua Letifer
Member Avatar
ZOOOOOM!
Horace
Jul 12 2018, 11:26 AM
Yep. Knowing what I know about my parents and my biological mother, I have all the proof I need that genetics plays a major part. I'd say even more so than environment. It's not even close.

Horace
Member Avatar
HOLY CARP!!!
Natural.
As a good person, I implore you to do as I, a good person, do. Be good. Do NOT be bad. If you see bad, end bad. End it in yourself, and end it in others. By any means necessary, the good must conquer the bad. Good people know this. Do you know this? Are you good?

jon-nyc
Member Avatar
Cheers
I figured. (that's a complement)

Copper
Member Avatar
Shortstop

If it was ok for children self-identify as not-adopted then maybe society would be more accepting.

This will never happen with Mr. Kavanaugh on the court.

The Confederate soldier was peculiar in that he was ever ready to fight, but never ready to submit to the routine duty and discipline of the camp or the march. The soldiers were determined to be soldiers after their own notions, and do their duty, for the love of it, as they thought best. Carlton McCarthy

brenda
Member Avatar
jon-nyc
Jul 12 2018, 11:30 AM
I figured. (that's a complement)
More likely a compliment. ;)
“Weeds are flowers, too, once you get to know them.”
~A.A. Milne

Mikhailoh
Member Avatar
If you want trouble, find yourself a redhead
I have had a lot of adopted friends and have known lots of adoptive families. Genetics most assuredly plays a big role.
Once in his life, every man is entitled to fall madly in love with a gorgeous redhead - Lucille Ball

Kincaid
Member Avatar
HOLY CARP!!!
I would think the issue of drug and alcohol affected babies would be more prevalent among kids up for adoption, no?
Kincaid - disgusted Republican Partisan since 2006.

« Previous Topic · The New Coffee Room · Next Topic »
Add Reply