Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]
Welcome to The New Coffee Room. We hope you enjoy your visit.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use. If you join our community, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customizing your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free.

Join our community!

If you're already a member please log in to your account to access all of our features:

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
Nick Cage, Spendy Man!; Kids, don't try this at home.
Topic Started: Jul 11 2018, 03:08 AM (168 Views)
Catseye3
Member Avatar
Fulla-Carp
https://financebuzz.com/finance-nicolas-cage-buying-spree

You have to admit, he bought some neat stuff.
"If you can't be a good example, then you'll just have to serve as a horrible warning." -- Catherine Aird
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

George K
Member Avatar
Finally
OK. I stopped reading at this part:

Quote:

Two albino king cobras

Allegedly Cage used the cobras for protection. Some others say he used it for sexual activities.
A guide to GKSR: Click

"Now look here, you Baltic gas passer... "
- Mik, 6/14/08

Nothing is as effective as homeopathy.

I'd rather listen to an hour of Abba than an hour of The Beatles.
- Klaus, 4/29/18

Mikhailoh
Member Avatar
If you want trouble, find yourself a redhead
Not sure how you can buy someone's tombstone.

Still, I am sure he saw these things as investments to one degree or another. Collectibles can be a dicey thing, and large real estate takes a fair amount of expense to maintain value. And that doesn't even start to address the yachts.

Boat - a hole in the water into which one pours money.
Once in his life, every man is entitled to fall madly in love with a gorgeous redhead - Lucille Ball

Jolly
Member Avatar
Geaux Tigers!
If Cage doesn't have papers, he should have.
The main obstacle to a stable and just world order is the United States.- George Soros

Klaus
Member Avatar
HOLY CARP!!!
George K
Jul 11 2018, 03:24 AM
OK. I stopped reading at this part:

Quote:

Two albino king cobras

Allegedly Cage used the cobras for protection. Some others say he used it for sexual activities.
Saw that too. Why did you stop there? My interest peaked at that point!
Trifonov Fleisher Klaus Sokolov Zimmerman

Aqua Letifer
Member Avatar
ZOOOOOM!
Quote:

Don't be materialistic: It's tempting to "keep up with the Joneses" with expensive cars, fancy fashion and larger homes. But getting caught up with the finer things in life can be devastating if your bank account can't support it. Compulsive buying is an addiction.

I know this is a common problem, but to me this reads like, ďdonít punch that officer in the face after he issues you a speeding ticket. Itíll feel good at first, but believe it or not, youíll find yourself in even more trouble afterwards.Ē

Fucking really? Should one also not eat yellow snow or sit in the black dirt?

I really would like an answer to why so many people donít know that buying **** doesnít make their lives any better. Short-sightedness?
I cite irreconcilable differences.
Online Profile Quote Post Goto Top

Catseye3
Member Avatar
Fulla-Carp
:shrug: I know if I had a toy like that yacht, I'd feel better.
"If you can't be a good example, then you'll just have to serve as a horrible warning." -- Catherine Aird

Klaus
Member Avatar
HOLY CARP!!!
Aqua Letifer
Jul 11 2018, 04:10 AM
I really would like an answer to why so many people donít know that buying **** doesnít make their lives any better. Short-sightedness?
I propose that somebody gives Aqua $100,000,000 such that he can experience himself how difficult that is. That will teach him a lesson.

Aqua Letifer
Member Avatar
ZOOOOOM!
Catseye3
Jul 11 2018, 04:13 AM
No you wouldnít, if you kept it longer than a month without selling youíd go broke or nearly so keeping it afloat. And where are you going to keep it? How are you going to pay for that? How often would you be able to travel to that place and how much would that cost?

Catseye3
Member Avatar
Fulla-Carp
It was a lighthearted comment, Aqua.

But on further thought, I don't believe it is a universal truth that buying stuff doesn't make peoples' lives better. It depends on the person, on the intensity of the desire, on how thoroughly (and wisely) the purchase is contemplated beforehand, the advantages ownership of the thing would bring to the person, and so on.

Aqua Letifer
Member Avatar
ZOOOOOM!
Catseye3
Jul 11 2018, 04:51 AM
It was a lighthearted comment, Aqua.

But on further thought, I don't believe it is a universal truth that buying stuff doesn't make peoples' lives better. It depends on the person, on the intensity of the desire, on how thoroughly (and wisely) the purchase is contemplated beforehand, the advantages ownership of the thing would bring to the person, and so on.
That's not what I meant. I'm not advocating a Franciscan lifestyle, I literally meant the action of buying things doesn't make anyone's life any better.

And how tempting is it really to "keep up with the Joneses"? Whenever I hear someone bragging about the newness of their phone I immediately write them off as being stupid.

Mikhailoh
Member Avatar
If you want trouble, find yourself a redhead
Aqua Letifer
Jul 11 2018, 04:30 AM
Catseye3
No you wouldnít, if you kept it longer than a month without selling youíd go broke or nearly so keeping it afloat. And where are you going to keep it? How are you going to pay for that? How often would you be able to travel to that place and how much would that cost?
Posted Image
Once in his life, every man is entitled to fall madly in love with a gorgeous redhead - Lucille Ball

Klaus
Member Avatar
HOLY CARP!!!
Aqua Letifer
Jul 11 2018, 05:08 AM
That's not what I meant. I'm not advocating a Franciscan lifestyle, I literally meant the action of buying things doesn't make anyone's life any better.
That's BS.

There's a large spectrum of needs.

If you are starving, then buying a meal will make your life better.

If you already have 12 yachts, then buying yacht number 13 will probably not make your life much better.

These are the extremes, but the practically relevant cases are all in between those extremes.

Last year I've spent a lot of money on a grand piano. Do I "need" such an expensive piano (or any piano)? Of course not. But I enjoy it almost every day.

There is something like a "law of diminishing returns" for wealth. But it is nonsense to say, without qualification, that wealth and quality of life are unrelated.

Aqua Letifer
Member Avatar
ZOOOOOM!
Klaus
Jul 11 2018, 05:19 AM
Aqua Letifer
Jul 11 2018, 05:08 AM
That's BS.

There's a large spectrum of needs.

If you are starving, then buying a meal will make your life better.

If you already have 12 yachts, then buying yacht number 13 will probably not make your life much better.

These are the extremes, but the practically relevant cases are all in between those extremes.

Last year I've spent a lot of money on a grand piano. Do I "need" such an expensive piano (or any piano)? Of course not. But I enjoy it almost every day.

There is something like a "law of diminishing returns" for wealth. But it is nonsense to say, without qualification, that wealth and quality of life are unrelated.
Youíre not paying attention to the distinction Iím drawing, Klaus. Iím not talking about ownership, Iím talking about the act of buying something.

As for ownership, the list of things you can buy to ďmake your life betterĒ isnít that large, even when you count the ancillary stuff like pianos and guitars and the like. (I mention the latter because thatís what Iím currently saving for.) Yeah, itís a law of diminishing returns, but itís a steep curve.

Aqua Letifer
Member Avatar
ZOOOOOM!
Mikhailoh
Jul 11 2018, 05:19 AM
Aqua Letifer
Jul 11 2018, 04:30 AM
Catseye3
Posted Image
:lol: exactly

Klaus
Member Avatar
HOLY CARP!!!
Aqua Letifer
Jul 11 2018, 05:29 AM
Youíre not paying attention to the distinction Iím drawing, Klaus. Iím not talking about ownership, Iím talking about the act of buying something.
What's the difference? Unless you are stealing, you need to buy to own.

Aqua Letifer
Member Avatar
ZOOOOOM!
Buying a piano because you play piano is very different from buying frivolous **** because you feel good about purchasing something, or picking up a new phone just to tell everyone that you own it.

Larry
Member Avatar
Mmmmmmm, pie!
Klaus
Jul 11 2018, 05:52 AM
Aqua Letifer
Oh come on, Klaus.. You're not *that* shallow that you don't understand what Aqua is talking about.
Of the Pokatwat Tribe

Klaus
Member Avatar
HOLY CARP!!!
Larry
Jul 11 2018, 07:18 AM
Klaus
Jul 11 2018, 05:52 AM
Aqua Letifer
Oh come on, Klaus.. You're not *that* shallow that you don't understand what Aqua is talking about.
I am a brain-dead ... something (I'm not a liberal but luckily the property of being brain-dead is not restricted to that group).

DealsFor.me - The best sales, coupons, and discounts for you
« Previous Topic · The New Coffee Room · Next Topic »
Add Reply