Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]
Welcome to The New Coffee Room. We hope you enjoy your visit.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use. If you join our community, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customizing your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free.

Join our community!

If you're already a member please log in to your account to access all of our features:

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
Cosmopolitan Conservatives
Topic Started: Jul 10 2018, 06:34 PM (163 Views)
Jolly
Member Avatar
Geaux Tigers!
http://thefederalist.com/2018/07/10/trumps-conservative-critics-wildly-touch-american-electorate/#.W0TviwgDVLJ.twitter
The main obstacle to a stable and just world order is the United States.- George Soros
Online Profile Quote Post Goto Top

Mikhailoh
Member Avatar
If you want trouble, find yourself a redhead
Very interesting article. Much to consider in it, and topics I have pondered privately.

The particularly telling part is that throughout the West one form or another of right leaning populism is growing. You could even include Sanders' supporters in that - what about us? We are the people - what are you doing for us?
Once in his life, every man is entitled to fall madly in love with a gorgeous redhead - Lucille Ball

Aqua Letifer
Member Avatar
ZOOOOOM!
Mikhailoh
Jul 11 2018, 03:06 AM
Very interesting article. Much to consider in it, and topics I have pondered privately.

The particularly telling part is that throughout the West one form or another of right leaning populism is growing. You could even include Sanders' supporters in that - what about us? We are the people - what are you doing for us?
Quote:

Goldberg’s book fails to recognize this populism as a long, healthy, and deeply respectable American tradition. He depicts it instead as a diseased reaction to progressivism—reactionary and crypto-fascist. Those labels apply, by the way, not just to voters who opted for Trump, but also to progressives, those who voted for Clinton.

I think Goldberg’s right about this. It has nothing to do with Trump—populism is just bad news.

Quote:

In short, pretty much all those who voted in the last election—the American people—are reptile-brain reactionaries.

Taken as a whole I think it’s stupidly obvious how accurate this is. The more we go down that road, the worse it’s going to get, and populism only speeds up the journey.
I cite irreconcilable differences.
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

Horace
Member Avatar
HOLY CARP!!!
pop·u·lism

noun

support for the concerns of ordinary people.

the quality of appealing to or being aimed at ordinary people.

So, what connotations has "populism" taken on which make it bad? It's clearly not bad per se.
As a good person, I implore you to do as I, a good person, do. Be good. Do NOT be bad. If you see bad, end bad. End it in yourself, and end it in others. By any means necessary, the good must conquer the bad. Good people know this. Do you know this? Are you good?

Klaus
Member Avatar
HOLY CARP!!!
Horace
Jul 11 2018, 05:57 AM
pop·u·lism

noun

So, what connotations has "populism" taken on which make it bad?
Concern for ones own short-term popularity, especially with respect to the next election, being the primary driver for your decisions.

Deliberately tapping into public sentiments without having any workable solution or rational model to explain one's policy, maybe even against one's own convictions.

Being a demagogue.
Trifonov Fleisher Klaus Sokolov Zimmerman

Jolly
Member Avatar
Geaux Tigers!
Huey P. Long.

Now, go do your history lesson.
Edited by Jolly, Jul 11 2018, 08:35 AM.
The main obstacle to a stable and just world order is the United States.- George Soros

Aqua Letifer
Member Avatar
ZOOOOOM!
Horace
pop·u·lism

noun

So, what connotations has "populism" taken on which make it bad? It's clearly not bad per se.
For starters, populism has a much broader definition than that.

And you’re right, it’s not inherently bad, but I believe it almost always leads to bad outcomes. The games the left plays right now, for example, is primarily driven by populism.

Horace
Member Avatar
HOLY CARP!!!
Aqua Letifer
Jul 11 2018, 06:11 AM
Horace
pop·u·lism

noun

For starters, populism has a much broader definition than that.
Ok. Can you provide that broader definition, or point me to it?

Quote:

And you’re right, it’s not inherently bad, but I believe it almost always leads to bad outcomes. The games the left plays right now, for example, is primarily driven by populism.

Identity politics and the politics of victimhood seem per se to be anti-populist, since they are about the concerns of small, well defined subsets of the population.
As a good person, I implore you to do as I, a good person, do. Be good. Do NOT be bad. If you see bad, end bad. End it in yourself, and end it in others. By any means necessary, the good must conquer the bad. Good people know this. Do you know this? Are you good?

jon-nyc
Member Avatar
Cheers
Jolly
Jul 11 2018, 06:09 AM
Busy P. Long.

Pffft. Read yer Aristotle.
In my defense, I was left unsupervised.

Aqua Letifer
Member Avatar
ZOOOOOM!
Horace
Jul 11 2018, 06:37 AM
Ok. Can you provide that broader definition, or point me to it?

Sure. For starters: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Populism

Quote:

Identity politics and the politics of victimhood seem per se to be anti-populist, since they are about the concerns of small, well defined subsets of the population.

Well for one, they think their way forward is better society, not individuals, which is populist. Second, what they think is better is defined in terms of groups, not individuals, which is also populist. Assuming you accept that the definition is broader than what you first laid out.

Larry
Member Avatar
Mmmmmmm, pie!
Klaus
Jul 11 2018, 06:03 AM
Horace
pop·u·lism

noun

So, what connotations has "populism" taken on which make it bad?
Concern for ones own short-term popularity, especially with respect to the next election, being the primary driver for your decisions.

Deliberately tapping into public sentiments without having any workable solution or rational model to explain one's policy, maybe even against one's own convictions.

Being a demagogue.
Odd, you just described the Democrat party.
Of the Pokatwat Tribe

Jolly
Member Avatar
Geaux Tigers!
jon-nyc
Jul 11 2018, 06:48 AM
Jolly
Jul 11 2018, 06:09 AM
Busy P. Long.

Pffft. Read yer Aristotle.
Hey, it's a damn tablet with a mind of its own.... :veryangry: :veryangry: :veryangry:

Mikhailoh
Member Avatar
If you want trouble, find yourself a redhead
I knew who you meant. Every damn bridge on US 90 is named for him. :lol2:
Once in his life, every man is entitled to fall madly in love with a gorgeous redhead - Lucille Ball

Jolly
Member Avatar
Geaux Tigers!
Mikhailoh
Jul 11 2018, 08:37 AM
I knew who you meant. Every damn bridge on US 90 is named for him. :lol2:
The Longs were one of the most powerful political machines in a state that has a ton of state power invested in the Governor. That's good and it's bad. What can be good about it, are the programs put in place by a populist.

« Previous Topic · The New Coffee Room · Next Topic »
Add Reply