Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]
Welcome to The New Coffee Room. We hope you enjoy your visit.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use. If you join our community, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customizing your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free.

Join our community!

If you're already a member please log in to your account to access all of our features:

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
  • Pages:
TNCR move to Tapatalk
Topic Started: Jul 9 2018, 02:11 AM (652 Views)
Klaus
Member Avatar
HOLY CARP!!!
Apparently there's a preview of what the forum will look like soon.

https://www.tapatalk.com/groups/the_new_coffee_room/index.php?

Do we need a plan about what to do if they screw the forum up?
Trifonov Fleisher Klaus Sokolov Zimmerman
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

Klaus
Member Avatar
HOLY CARP!!!
Oh noes, the new editor for posts will be WYSIWIG. I hate it already.

I'm very unimpressed with the features the new forum is going to have. Very primitive compared to modern forum software like Discourse or myBB and the like. From what I can see, the only new "feature" is support for tables.
Edited by Klaus, Jul 9 2018, 02:27 AM.

Mikhailoh
Member Avatar
If you want trouble, find yourself a redhead
I don't see any charm but I suppose we will get used to it.
Once in his life, every man is entitled to fall madly in love with a gorgeous redhead - Lucille Ball
Online Profile Quote Post Goto Top

Catseye3
Member Avatar
Fulla-Carp
We'll need to get Sue to decorate the place.
"If you can't be a good example, then you'll just have to serve as a horrible warning." -- Catherine Aird

Davis
Member Avatar
Fulla-Carp
I made a comment on the new site and it didn’t “take” here. Will miss the brutalist design of this site. No more seeing the forest for the trees.

Klaus
Member Avatar
HOLY CARP!!!
I note that there is a "Donate" button for TNCR. Hmm...

I suppose it is in fact a "Donate" button for Tapatalk.

Catseye3
Member Avatar
Fulla-Carp
Davis
Jul 9 2018, 02:56 AM
Will miss the brutalist design of this site. No more seeing the forest for the trees.
Wut? :shrug:
"If you can't be a good example, then you'll just have to serve as a horrible warning." -- Catherine Aird

Mikhailoh
Member Avatar
It's a more modern design, but as far as I can see it is function following form. There may be efficiencies in the background but I don't see them.
Once in his life, every man is entitled to fall madly in love with a gorgeous redhead - Lucille Ball

Mikhailoh
Member Avatar
Ah, here's the rub, up at the top of the screen....

Quote:

When you visit our site, preselected companies may use cookies or other certain information on your device to serve relevant ads and for analytics purposes. Learn more

Davis
Member Avatar
Fulla-Carp
Mikhailoh
Jul 9 2018, 03:26 AM

Quote:

When you visit our site, preselected companies may use cookies or other certain information on your device to serve relevant ads and for analytics purposes. Learn more

Those analytics on all your posts could probably be used to clone you. :lol2:

George K
Member Avatar
Finally
Davis
Jul 9 2018, 03:31 AM
Mikhailoh
Jul 9 2018, 03:26 AM

Quote:

Those analytics on all your posts could probably be used to clone you. :lol2:
They're probably a subsidiary of Delos, Inc.
A guide to GKSR: Click

"Now look here, you Baltic gas passer... "
- Mik, 6/14/08

Nothing is as effective as homeopathy.

I'd rather listen to an hour of Abba than an hour of The Beatles.
- Klaus, 4/29/18

Mikhailoh
Member Avatar
I'm not sure they aren't already doing this but I had not seen it.

John Galt
Fulla-Carp
Isn't Zetaboards already doing the same thing?

Quote:

Third Party Advertising:

ZetaBoards uses third party advertising companies to serve ads when you visit our web site. These third party advertising companies may collect and use information about your visits to ZetaBoards as well as other web sites. If you would like more information please visit the following link: [ Google ]

We use third-party advertising companies to serve ads when you visit our website. These companies may use information (not including your name, address, email address, or telephone number) about your visits to this and other websites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services of interest to you. If you would like more information about this practice and to know your choices about not having this information used by these companies, click here.

Note: By signing up with ZetaBoards, you agree to the terms of the following advertisers listed above in addition to the terms of ZetaBoards' privacy policy.
Let us begin anew, remembering on both sides that civility is not a sign of weakness.

Axtremus
Member Avatar
HOLY CARP!!!
It’s a trade off. WTF choose to pay for forum hosting service and get no advertising (and no tracking by/for advertiser). TNCR choose to use “free” forum hosting but have to put up with advertising and tracking by/for advertisers.

Jolly
Member Avatar
Geaux Tigers!
Axtremus
Jul 9 2018, 04:27 AM
It’s a trade off. WTF choose to pay for forum hosting service and get no advertising (and no tracking by/for advertiser). TNCR choose to use “free” forum hosting but have to put up with advertising and tracking by/for advertisers.
We've all made the comment about the ads appearing on the board being different, for different members. So I think we've been tracked for years.

I guess you get used to what you get used to...The other two fora I hit on occasion use ProBoards...Six of one, half-dozen of the other.

One question, though...Are the web and Tap-a-talk versions similar in appearance?
The main obstacle to a stable and just world order is the United States.- George Soros

Klaus
Member Avatar
HOLY CARP!!!
Jolly
Jul 9 2018, 05:03 AM
We've all made the comment about the ads appearing on the board being different, for different members. So I think we've been tracked for years.
The different ads don't necessarily mean we are being tracked; the ad could just depend on the region you are in.

However, both Zetaboards and Tapatalk do some kind of tracking. The main difference is that Tapatalk does much _more_ tracking.

For the Zetaboards version of TNCR, my adblocker shows 1 blocked ad request and my tracking blocker shows 5 blocked tracking requests.

For the Tapatalk version of TNCR, my adblocker shows 2 blocked ad request and my tracking blocker shows 16 blocked tracking requests.

Larry
Member Avatar
Mmmmmmm, pie!
It costs 9 dollars a year to remove the ads from zetaboards. Only the administrator of the board can access the pay panel, and for some reason we've chosen to not ask the administrator of this one who hasn't been here in probably a decade to hand over the reins to someone who actually participates so the administrator controls can be accessed.

Hell, I'll pay the 9 bucks if someone will get jgoo to give the forum to Jon.
Of the Pokatwat Tribe

Mikhailoh
Member Avatar
We sure don't have arguments about moderation anymore. I'll chip in a buck.

Copper
Member Avatar
Shortstop

I use the AdBlock add-on for Chrome, it blocks them.

The Confederate soldier was peculiar in that he was ever ready to fight, but never ready to submit to the routine duty and discipline of the camp or the march. The soldiers were determined to be soldiers after their own notions, and do their duty, for the love of it, as they thought best. Carlton McCarthy

Copper
Member Avatar
Shortstop
Klaus
Jul 9 2018, 02:22 AM
Oh noes, the new editor for posts will be WYSIWIG. I hate it already.

While in edit mode on a post click the ... at the top-right to toggle WYSIWYG mode

The Confederate soldier was peculiar in that he was ever ready to fight, but never ready to submit to the routine duty and discipline of the camp or the march. The soldiers were determined to be soldiers after their own notions, and do their duty, for the love of it, as they thought best. Carlton McCarthy

Copper
Member Avatar
Shortstop

You can have friends and foes.

Axtremus
Member Avatar
HOLY CARP!!!
Copper
Jul 9 2018, 07:01 AM
You can have friends and foes.
Yes, we can.

Copper
Member Avatar
Shortstop
I don't see how to list a member's posts, including mine.

I don't see how to automatically skip forward to the latest post in a thread.

Axtremus
Member Avatar
HOLY CARP!!!
Error 502 when clicked on the "Participated" tab. :shrug:

Luke's Dad
Member Avatar
Emperor Pengin
Wait, we're moving?
The problem with having an open mind is that people keep trying to put things in it.

Go to Next Page
« Previous Topic · The New Coffee Room · Next Topic »
Add Reply
  • Pages: