Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]
Welcome to The New Coffee Room. We hope you enjoy your visit.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use. If you join our community, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customizing your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free.

Join our community!

If you're already a member please log in to your account to access all of our features:

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
Strawless in Seattle
Topic Started: Jul 2 2018, 02:24 PM (265 Views)
George K
Member Avatar
Finally
Posted Image

Posted Image

Shaun King, for the record, is white.
A guide to GKSR: Click

"Now look here, you Baltic gas passer... "
- Mik, 6/14/08

Nothing is as effective as homeopathy.

"There are 57 different genders, but politics is binary."
- David Burge, 7/29/18
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

Catlady
Junior Carp
He's biracial. His mother white, his father a light skinned, African American. His mother remarried and her husband (who is white) adopted Shaun.
Online Profile Quote Post Goto Top

Mikhailoh
Member Avatar
If you want trouble, find yourself a redhead
Ok he's 3/4 white. Close enough for everybody but Elizabeth Warren rock n roll.
"I have strong feelings about gun control. If there's a gun around, I want to be controlling it." Clint Eastwood, Pink Cadillac

George K
Member Avatar
Finally
https://reason.com/blog/2018/06/29/straws-are-a-gateway-plastic-that-needs
Quote:

Plastic straw bans won't help the environment, but that's no reason not to pass them.

Or so argue straw prohibitionists who want the little suckers outlawed in the hope of provoking environmentally friendly soul searching among inconvenienced consumers. "Straw bans aren't going to save the ocean, but they could jumpstart much-needed conversations about the level of non-biodegradable trash in them," writes Vox's Radhika Viswanathan, who gets all the facts about straws and their minimal effect on the environment right but still manages to come out in favor of a ban.

Viswanathan is joined by Dune Ives, executive director of the environmental group Lonely Whale, which has has targeted straws as a "gateway plastic." With "plastic water bottles too endemic, plastic bags already somewhat politicized, and no viable alternative for the plastic cup in ALL markets," Ives wrote in an October 2017 blog post, her organization had to find something to ban.

Straws, Ives says, made the perfect target: too inconsequential to really be missed but so ubiquitous that their absence would be noticed. "To us, it was the 'gateway plastic' to the larger, more serious plastic pollution conversation," says Ives, whose organization was instrumental in getting Seattle to ban straws with its "Strawless in Seattle" campaign.

- Mik, 6/14/08

- David Burge, 7/29/18

Catseye3
Member Avatar
Fulla-Carp
I kind of see his thinking. Maybe, whenever a consumer was confronted with a paper straw after the ban, s/he would be reminded of the whole environmental thing. OTOH, did McDonald's losing the styrofoam packaging make any appreciable difference? It would be interesting to see if the mountains of "bad" trash disposed of by consumers diminished whenever a company made a change of this sort. (Though how you would make such determination would be tricky . . . )

OTOH, I could never use the term "gateway plastic" with a straight face.
"If you can't be a good example, then you'll just have to serve as a horrible warning." -- Catherine Aird

Jolly
Member Avatar
Geaux Tigers!
I don't think the amount of trash has decreased at all.

I think there are things we can do that make sense, but they require either more effort or money. I think we could do more glass packaging, for one. I think the lessening of styrofoam packaging is a good thing. I think more emphasis on paper recycling helps. I think if we would concentrate on making many consumer items more durable and repairable, we lessen the trash generated.
The main obstacle to a stable and just world order is the United States.- George Soros

Copper
Member Avatar
Shortstop

Cut down trees for paper or drill oil for plastic?

The right answer depends on what you are selling.

And of course you might have to get the tree huggers to loosen up.

Now that Mr. Obama is gone nobody is hugging the oil, 500,000 barrels per day now moving through the Dakota Access Pipeline.

The Confederate soldier was peculiar in that he was ever ready to fight, but never ready to submit to the routine duty and discipline of the camp or the march. The soldiers were determined to be soldiers after their own notions, and do their duty, for the love of it, as they thought best. Carlton McCarthy

George K
Member Avatar
Finally
Posted Image

- Mik, 6/14/08

- David Burge, 7/29/18

George K
Member Avatar
Finally
Breaking Bad
Quote:

After the straw ban passed in Santa Barbara, one high school chemistry teacher saw a golden opportunity.

Strapped for cash and down on his luck, Santa Barbara high school chemistry teacher, Winston Silver found himself in a desperate situation. He was looking for any opportunity to use his teaching or chemistry skills to bring his family some much-needed additional income. When the city of Santa Barbara passed a ban on plastic straws, Silver noticed that plastic straws were now being sold on the black market at an incredibly high cost but inferior quality.

“My brother-in-law is a cop and he busted these straw dealers down on Monte Vista Ave. I got a glimpse of their product. Pathetic, flimsy, no color, impure plastic. Then I found out what they were going for.” A small case of straws can easily sell for tens of thousands of dollars in this new high-scarcity market. “I knew I could easily create a superior product,” Silver said. “They’re going to drink from straws anyway—I might as well make them a better product.”

Silver bought a used RV and drove it into the Mojave Desert to make his first batch of superior drinking straws. What he created was a crystal clear, sturdy, bendy, bright-blue drinking straw. “99.1% chemically pure blue plastic,” Silver said with pride. “Far superior to anything out there right now.” He named his product “Sky Blue Straws,” and they have taken the streets of Santa Barbara by storm, showing up in empty Big Gulp cups at crime scenes all over town, baffling police and angering straw dealers with inferior products.

When straw dealing kingpin Tuccio “Crazy Straw” Gonzalez took his first sip of Coke Zero from one of Silver’s “Sky Blue Straws,” his reaction was a sudden outburst, repeatedly saying, “Tight! Tight! Tight!” He immediately wanted to go into business with the chemistry teacher.

Upon increasing production, Winston Silver has formed an unusual alliance with one of his old students, Jasper Pinkston. “Mr. Silver use to send me to detention all the time for spit wads back in class, yo,” Pinkston said. “Now we makin’ product that pops off the tightest spit wads in the hood!” While Silver and Pinkston get into all kind of hijinks because of their widely opposing personalities, but they balance each other out and have formed something of a father-son bond.

At press time, Silver was rumored to have become dangerously tangled up in the drinking straw black market, but his lawyer, Seth Goodwin, said that his client had no further comments at this time.

- Mik, 6/14/08

- David Burge, 7/29/18

Jolly
Member Avatar
Geaux Tigers!
Bending Bad.
The main obstacle to a stable and just world order is the United States.- George Soros

Luke's Dad
Member Avatar
Emperor Pengin
Starbucks is getting rid of their plastic straws and stirrers. Part of their efforts include selling new flavored paper straws that will flavor your drink. These paper straws are packaged in single use plastic...
The problem with having an open mind is that people keep trying to put things in it.

Copper
Member Avatar
Shortstop
Idiots
The Confederate soldier was peculiar in that he was ever ready to fight, but never ready to submit to the routine duty and discipline of the camp or the march. The soldiers were determined to be soldiers after their own notions, and do their duty, for the love of it, as they thought best. Carlton McCarthy

Aqua Letifer
Member Avatar
ZOOOOOM!
Luke's Dad
Jul 31 2018, 06:09 PM
Starbucks is getting rid of their plastic straws and stirrers. Part of their efforts include selling new flavored paper straws that will flavor your drink. These paper straws are packaged in single use plastic...
:lol:

I would not be the least bit surprised at either.
I cite irreconcilable differences.

Luke's Dad
Member Avatar
Emperor Pengin
It's not a joke. I saw it yesterday. I'll send you the picture.
The problem with having an open mind is that people keep trying to put things in it.

jon-nyc
Member Avatar
Cheers
Posted Image
Clowns to the left of me, jokers to the right.

sue
Member Avatar
HOLY CARP!!!
When did this need for us to constantly have a beverage in hand, wherever we go? You don't need straws if you're sitting at a table, drinking a (reasonably sized) drink. You don't need disposable cups, if you just have a cup of coffee at a table, or at your desk. When did all this madness start, this need to be pouring some form of liquid in our gob at all times?

Copper
Member Avatar
Shortstop

It's not really a question of need.

« Previous Topic · The New Coffee Room · Next Topic »
Add Reply