Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]
Welcome to The New Coffee Room. We hope you enjoy your visit.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use. If you join our community, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customizing your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free.

Join our community!

If you're already a member please log in to your account to access all of our features:

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
I need a new stereo
Topic Started: Jun 18 2018, 05:20 PM (350 Views)
George K
Member Avatar
Finally
Piggybacking onto the "fishing" thread.

http://s10.zetaboards.com/The_New_Coffee_Room/topic/9058109/1/?x=20#new

I told the Management Mrs. George that I want to upgrade the audio for our TV.

Here's what I'm looking to do:

A good set of bookshelf speakers that will blend into the wall unit that we have. I'm thinking small-ish KEF or ELAC speakers. A not-too-fancy receiver that will power the speakers adequately that also has bluetooth so I can stream from my phone/computer. I don't have the capability for surround sound so I'm looking at a 2.0 system. However, the addition of a subwoofer or center-channel speaker for TV would be nice.

Is a wireless sub-woofer an option?

Thoughts on what components, etc, appreciated.

And kluurs, the fact that I (no longer) have kids is not a consideration. I'd like to keep this under $600 (without subwoofer and center speaker - adding those later).
A guide to GKSR: Click

"Now look here, you Baltic gas passer... "
- Mik, 6/14/08

Nothing is as effective as homeopathy.

I'd rather listen to an hour of Abba than an hour of The Beatles.
- Klaus, 4/29/18
Online Profile Quote Post Goto Top

Copper
Member Avatar
Shortstop

I bought a receiver and built-in speakers for my daughter's new house a couple years ago.

The best guy I talked to for advice was the Magnolia Home Theater guy located at Best Buy. Most of his stuff was outside my budget but he was very helpful. He even walked over the to Best Buy section to show me a few things. I did end up buying a couple speakers from him.

If you haven't been to the Magnolia it's worth a trip just to get an idea of what is available.

The Confederate soldier was peculiar in that he was ever ready to fight, but never ready to submit to the routine duty and discipline of the camp or the march. The soldiers were determined to be soldiers after their own notions, and do their duty, for the love of it, as they thought best. Carlton McCarthy
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

kluurs
Member Avatar
Fulla-Carp
What sized room?

George K
Member Avatar
Finally
kluurs
Jun 18 2018, 07:46 PM
What sized room?
Our living room. It's a large-fish room in the condo. About 28 by 20. This will go on a fireplace wall unit with the TV above the fireplace. Not looking to rattle windows, or anything, just want a nice *clean* sound, and something that will work well with the TV.

The speakers I'm looking for should be small-ish (about 11 inches deep and 11 inches tall/wide) since they are going, ahem, onto a bookcase.

- Mik, 6/14/08

- Klaus, 4/29/18

kluurs
Member Avatar
Fulla-Carp
Thats a good sized room. I was thinking Marantz 1508 or 1608. If youd like Audio Consultants will lend you speakers to try on your home. Id be happy to visit their showroom with you. Im prettyclear next week.

kluurs
Member Avatar
Fulla-Carp
OTOH - if you just want to "do it" - Stereophile did recommend these speakers as their lowest cost/value speaker. I've not heard them. My only concern is your room size is pretty big. OTOH, for $40 - you could give these a try - and if they don't work - it's not a huge investment.

Dayton Audio B652: $39.80/pair ★ (stands necessary)
The least expensive loudspeaker Stereophile has ever reviewed, Dayton Audio's B652 is a very small (11.8" H by 7" W by 6.5" D), very light (5.8 lbs), two-way, sealed-cabinet design with a 0.6" ferrofluid-cooled polycarbonate-dome tweeter and a 6.5" polypropylene-cone mid/woofer. The simple MDF cabinet is clad in black vinyl and has a removable grille of black cloth. Though it lacked overall clarity, extension, and control, the B652 offered a surprisingly large soundstage, good image separation, and a very fine sense of momentum and flow, with no hint of temporal distortions, said SM. Given its low price, the B652's measured performance was "quite remarkable," said JA. Dayton Audio B652-AIR ($59.80/pair) replaces the dome tweeter with a folded-ribbon unit and was also impressive. "Recommended for those looking for the least-expensive way to share our enthusiasm for recorded music," JA summed up. (Vol.36 No.1, original WWW; Vol.38 No.2, AIR WWW)
Read more at https://www.stereophile.com/content/recommended-components-2018-edition-loudspeakers

George K
Member Avatar
Finally
Thanks for the link, Kluurs!

I'm going to go over to Upscale Audio Exchange which is not far from me. I've been there to get rid of some stuff, and Tom has a great depth of knowledge (and a collection of 7,000 LPs). He'll understand my needs and make suggestions for my space. He's only open Thursday nights and weekends. It's more of a hobby than a business for him. He's got a great selection of used stuff, and is willing to take the time to suggest what I need.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image
Edited by George K, Jun 19 2018, 07:03 AM.

- Mik, 6/14/08

- Klaus, 4/29/18

kluurs
Member Avatar
Fulla-Carp
I've been to Upscale Audio. You won't likely find a used Bluetooth receiver. The big challenge is finding small speakers that can deliver volume necessary for your space.

George K
Member Avatar
Finally
Here's part of the floorplan of the condo:

Posted Image

The bottom is where the fireplace/wall unit/TV space is.

Posted Image

- Mik, 6/14/08

- Klaus, 4/29/18

George K
Member Avatar
Finally
I pulled the trigger on the Marantz 1508.

Went to Amazonís Showroom Best Buy and liked the Bowers and Wilkins 685-S2. However, they were a bit pricey for my needs. They are also too deep for my shelves (13 inches on a 10 inch shelf).

Ended up buying a pair of used Mission 781ís. Nice and warm sound, very transparent. Plenty of sound to fill the room, if I wanted.

Tom played a recording of the CSO doing Pines of Rome - yeah, no need for a subwoofer. About 6 months ago, I had dropped off a receiver that I didnít need, and he gave me a $50 credit on future sales. I had lost the receipt, but he remembered and credited me for that item. I spent 2 hours there.

I wanted to hear some piano music, so he played an LP of Perahia Brendel playing the Beethoven Pastoral Sonata. I was kind of disappointed with the speakers, because they had sounded so good earlier. I was hesitant to say something, because I was *that* close to pulling the trigger, but I did.

ďItís Phillips,Ē he said. ďAll of their piano recordings sound like that.Ē

Then he pulled out something else (I donít remember what) and it was completely different.

He also suggested that I can use the Vizio soundbar I have now as a center channel for TV, etc., and use its subwoofer as well.

Should be interesting.

I hope to get it set up Sunday afternoon. Got holes to drill and wires to run.

- Mik, 6/14/08

- Klaus, 4/29/18

George K
Member Avatar
Finally
OK - I got it all hooked up, but I'm not sure it's the best way to do it.

I have only 2 speakers, so that part is simple.

But, all the other stuff...oy!

The receiver has an HDMI ARC input, and my TV has an HDMI ARC port as well.

My TV has 3 HDMI inputs, one of which is labeled HDMI ARC, the other two are not.

Here's what I have:

1) Cable Box
2) Apple TV
3) DVD Player

I'd like to have (for the sake of Mrs. George) everything controlled via the Comcast remote. If I want to listen to Spotify or whatever, I'll take care of it.

Should I plug the cable box into the TV, or into the "Cable/Sat" plug of the receiver, keeping the HDMI ARC connection between TV and receiver?

THis used to be so simple (thinking of adding a center channel speaker, I might add....).
Edited by George K, Jun 24 2018, 02:04 PM.

- Mik, 6/14/08

- Klaus, 4/29/18

kluurs
Member Avatar
Fulla-Carp
I went through this as well. I originally hooked up everything through the receiver and reprogrammed the Comcast remote to turn it and the TV on. I think it is the best way - but things can go wrong if everything doesn't go on when it's supposed to.

George K
Member Avatar
Finally
kluurs
Jun 24 2018, 02:30 PM
I went through this as well. I originally hooked up everything through the receiver and reprogrammed the Comcast remote to turn it and the TV on. I think it is the best way - but things can go wrong if everything doesn't go on when it's supposed to.
It used to be so simple...

What if I want to listen to music, and not turn the TV on? Would it work if I just left the receiver on all the time, and didn't have the Crapcast remote control anything else?

Oh, those "Mission" speakers are great. They definitely fill the room. I just have to get spacing right. No need for a subwoofer.

- Mik, 6/14/08

- Klaus, 4/29/18

kluurs
Member Avatar
Fulla-Carp
George K
Jun 24 2018, 03:00 PM
kluurs
Jun 24 2018, 02:30 PM

What if I want to listen to music, and not turn the TV on? Would it work if I just left the receiver on all the time, and didn't have the Crapcast remote control anything else?

Oh, those "Mission" speakers are great. They definitely fill the room. I just have to get spacing right. No need for a subwoofer.
I'd use the marantz remote for music. The Comcast remote can turn on the Marantz and control volume on the Marantz - but it won't do the music functions. Thus when you're watching Cable - you can just use the Comcast remote for everything both receiver and box.

Mission is a good speaker - and you need good for volume out of a small box.

Edited by kluurs, Jun 24 2018, 06:09 PM.

Copper
Member Avatar
Shortstop
George K
Jun 24 2018, 03:00 PM

Posted Image

The Confederate soldier was peculiar in that he was ever ready to fight, but never ready to submit to the routine duty and discipline of the camp or the march. The soldiers were determined to be soldiers after their own notions, and do their duty, for the love of it, as they thought best. Carlton McCarthy

George K
Member Avatar
Finally
Thatís about $2200 today.

- Mik, 6/14/08

- Klaus, 4/29/18

Copper
Member Avatar
Shortstop

I actually use a receiver every day that looks a lot like that. In fact it might be a little older. I use it to connect my headphones to the TV while on the treadmill - it still works great.

George K
Member Avatar
Finally
So let me ask a question.

I repurposed a sound bar that was above the television. I made it so it is nothing more than a simple speaker, the amplifier has been removed and a pair of speaker terminals on the back lead to the speakers. It works fine as a speaker, well, at least as well as a sound bar can work.

I want to use it as a center channel speaker for dialogue on the TV. My receiver is a 5.1 receiver with about 50 W of power for each channel.

However when I play music through it, or listen to TV, thereís no sound coming out of the center channel. The speaker test that came with the receiver As a calibration tool works fine and shows the center speaker is active. However no sound.

Any ideas why? Does the audio have to be encoded for 5.1?

- Mik, 6/14/08

- Klaus, 4/29/18

Copper
Member Avatar
Shortstop

I don't know how this works exactly, but maybe the soundbar is expecting a 5.1 encoded Center Channel but the receiver is treating the soundbar as a passive speaker that doesn't know how to deal with a 5.1 signal.

My standard trouble-shooting for something like that would be to flip every switch (hardware and software) and maybe swap-in/out some other speakers.

One man's opinion: https://blog.bestbuy.ca/tv-audio/tv-home-theatre-tv-audio/can-a-soundbar-work-with-a-receiver

George K
Member Avatar
Finally
With Mrs. George out of the condo this afternoon, I was listening to my new stereo, putting it through its paces. On Spotify, I came across a recording of the KSO doing the Saint-Saens organ symphony (hey, lots of LOOOOW notes!).

And I was playing loud. Real loud!

As I listened, I could have sworn that I heard the second violins on the conductor's right. One of our local orchestras, here in the Chicago area, the Elgin Symphony, is seated this way, with the cellos and basses to the conductor's left, behind the 1st violins.

Did I hear that correctly?

So, I asked someone who lives near KC and goes to the KCSO...

Well, yes. Yes, I did hear it correctly!

Either my ears are good, or, more likely, the stereo's pretty fine. No need for a subwoofer.

And, Kluurs, it filled the room. I measured the sound level, and at its loudest, it got up to 85 dB (with the amp only turned up about half way).

- Mik, 6/14/08

- Klaus, 4/29/18

kluurs
Member Avatar
Fulla-Carp
You needed good small speakers for volume. Your Mission speakers will do the job. I have some B&W mini monitors that can handle volume as well.

I was thinking the easiest test for the center is to substitute in a different speaker and see if you get volume.

George K
Member Avatar
Finally
kluurs
Jul 11 2018, 12:23 PM
I was thinking the easiest test for the center is to substitute in a different speaker and see if you get volume.

Speaker works. When I run the Marantz calibration program, sound comes out of the center speaker.

Just not when playing music or TV stuff. :shrug:

- Mik, 6/14/08

- Klaus, 4/29/18

Copper
Member Avatar
Shortstop

My guess is that the content isn't 5.1, or doesn't contain content in the center channel.

Or maybe it is being passed through a component that doesn't support a center channel and gets downgraded to something like 2.1.

Or maybe the component receiving the content isn't set to support a center channel output - maybe it is set to 2.1 instead of 5.1

Just wild guesses.

« Previous Topic · The New Coffee Room · Next Topic »
Add Reply