Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]
Welcome to The New Coffee Room. We hope you enjoy your visit.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use. If you join our community, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customizing your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free.

Join our community!

If you're already a member please log in to your account to access all of our features:

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
Chomsky bashing French Intellectuals
Topic Started: Jun 13 2018, 07:10 AM (114 Views)
Klaus
Member Avatar
HOLY CARP!!!

Rather amusing :lol2:
Trifonov Fleisher Klaus Sokolov Zimmerman
Online Profile Quote Post Goto Top

jon-nyc
Member Avatar
Cheers
It is. Thanks for posting that.
In my defense, I was left unsupervised.

Rainman
Member Avatar
Fulla-Carp
Interesting, but I confess to being lost.
Yeah, I could google stuff, but that would take time.

For example, he mentions Stalinists and Maoists.
What's the difference?

Other terms e.g., "Vienna Positivists" "Logical Positivism." Beats me what these are.

Interesting he mentions these ideals and ideas collapsed in the 1970's due to Solzhenitsyn.

Seems this is all similar to Jordan Peterson, who mentions that due to the collapse of these political philosophies the French intellectuals needed to repackage the failed ideology into less offensive presentations called "Post-Modernism" and other similarly confusing categorizations.

I don't know how our resident intellectuals find all this "amusing." Does that mean you disagree with what is stated in the video, or perhaps you find it too shallow, obvious, or what?

Mikhailoh
Member Avatar
If you want trouble, find yourself a redhead
Here we just call them Progressive.
Once in his life, every man is entitled to fall madly in love with a gorgeous redhead - Lucille Ball

jon-nyc
Member Avatar
Cheers
I don't disagree with the video at all. I'm a bit amused to see even the esteemed linguistics professor talk about how vacuous their writing really is. Chomsky and Scruton don't agree on much, but where they do, surely they're correct.

Also I can't say I've given it a lot of thought, but if you had asked me what Chomsky would think about (say) Foucault and Derrida I'm not sure I would have predicted this. I'm pretty sure I wouldn't have.

And of course it's always more fun to hear criticism of leftists from other leftists. Just like I prefer the criticism of Trump I read in National Review to that I see in the Times.

jon-nyc
Member Avatar
Cheers
Oh - re Maoism vs Stalinism. At least as those guys would have understood it, Maoism had more of a community/village focus and didn't presuppose industrialization like the Marxist/Leninist version of communism. It was also more explicitly nationalistic, I believe. Many intellectuals of the 60s and 70s considered it less autocratic and despotic than Stalinism.

Klaus
Member Avatar
HOLY CARP!!!
jon-nyc
Jun 13 2018, 09:48 AM
Also I can't say I've given it a lot of thought, but if you had asked me what Chomsky would think about (say) Foucault and Derrida I'm not sure I would have predicted this. I'm pretty sure I wouldn't have.
Yes, I was also surprised. I would have guessed that Chomsky sympathises with those guys. But maybe this is why he calls himself an anarchist and not a Marxist.

Klaus
Member Avatar
HOLY CARP!!!
Rainman
Jun 13 2018, 09:23 AM
I don't know how our resident intellectuals find all this "amusing." Does that mean you disagree with what is stated in the video, or perhaps you find it too shallow, obvious, or what?
Chomsky displays a fine sense of humour in that video, which I do find amusing.

I'm not at all a fan of the French intellectuals Chomsky talks about. It's a pity he didn't also bash the Frankfurt school.

« Previous Topic · The New Coffee Room · Next Topic »
Add Reply