Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]
Welcome to The New Coffee Room. We hope you enjoy your visit.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use. If you join our community, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customizing your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free.

Join our community!

If you're already a member please log in to your account to access all of our features:

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
  • Pages:
Piano shopping...
Topic Started: Jun 8 2018, 08:40 PM (789 Views)
Horace
Member Avatar
HOLY CARP!!!
I have an appointment at this place tomorrow. The reviews are hilarious. Should be an experience. I expect it to be fine.

I'm excited to try out some high quality used uprights: Sauter 130 (19k), Petrof 51" (5.5k), C. Bechstein 48" (10.2k), Schimmel 48" (9.5k). And W. Hoffmann (?) 52" (16.5k). I don't want to take the space for a grand, but who knows.
As a good person, I implore you to do as I, a good person, do. Be good. Do NOT be bad. If you see bad, end bad. End it in yourself, and end it in others. By any means necessary, the good must conquer the bad. Good people know this. Do you know this? Are you good?
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

Klaus
Member Avatar
HOLY CARP!!!
Nice!

I'd rule out the W. Hoffmann. It's the third line of Bechstein, after C. Bechstein and then Bechstein (without "C."). Decent pianos, but nothing special. And the price is ridiculous, IMO. I'd also forget about the Petrof.

The C. Bechstein sounds like a potentially good deal. Schimmel makes two lines of pianos. If it is one of the better line (I think they are called "Konzert"), then these are also usually very good pianos.

Sauter is made almost in my neighbourhood. They make good pianos, but the price seems to be on the high side.
Trifonov Fleisher Klaus Sokolov Zimmerman

Horace
Member Avatar
HOLY CARP!!!
Thanks for the info, Klaus.

I don't think my first link works. If anybody wants a chuckle they can go to yelp and search for r kassman pianos.
As a good person, I implore you to do as I, a good person, do. Be good. Do NOT be bad. If you see bad, end bad. End it in yourself, and end it in others. By any means necessary, the good must conquer the bad. Good people know this. Do you know this? Are you good?

Jolly
Member Avatar
Geaux Tigers!
Horace
Jun 8 2018, 10:04 PM
Thanks for the info, Klaus.

I don't think my first link works. If anybody wants a chuckle they can go to yelp and search for r kassman pianos.
Go to PW and read the recent thread where Kassman and the Sauter guy for the U.S. are trading broadsides....
The main obstacle to a stable and just world order is the United States.- George Soros
Online Profile Quote Post Goto Top

Klaus
Member Avatar
HOLY CARP!!!
Did you already check out the pianos? What are your impressions? If you have not, don't forget to ask for every single piano whether it was seasoned for destination.

What price range are you looking for? What kind of repertoire do you want to play?
Trifonov Fleisher Klaus Sokolov Zimmerman

Jolly
Member Avatar
Geaux Tigers!
And #2...Play the Petrof. They can be very good pianos. Yes, Petrof can be buggy, but I never turn my nose up at pianos, since you never know what you might find, no matter the name on the fallboard.
The main obstacle to a stable and just world order is the United States.- George Soros

Horace
Member Avatar
HOLY CARP!!!
Klaus
Jun 9 2018, 04:20 AM
Did you already check out the pianos? What are your impressions? If you have not, don't forget to ask for every single piano whether it was seasoned for destination.

What price range are you looking for? What kind of repertoire do you want to play?
No, I'm going in about 5 hours. Repertoire? Dead white guy stuff. Bach and Brahms are my favorite. Price range is <= 20k.

jon-nyc
Member Avatar
Cheers
Dude this is great.

I didnít realize you were without a piano. How long has that been the case?
In my defense, I was left unsupervised.

Horace
Member Avatar
HOLY CARP!!!
Well I have a piano in the garage. I bought it new in 2003, a bohemia upright. I've never been happy with it. I loved the one in the showroom and ordered another of the same model in a different finish. But it sounded completely different from the one at the dealer. My mistake.

I haven't played in 10 years, but I'm in the mood to get back into it.

Copper
Member Avatar
Shortstop
This link works for me: https://www.yelp.com/biz/r-kassman-purveyor-of-fine-pianos-berkeley-3?osq=kassman+pianos

But not when it is here in the post

How about this: https://www.yelp.com/search?find_desc=kassman+pianos&find_loc=Berkeley%2C+CA&ns=1

Nope

Just go here: https://www.yelp.com/ and search for Berkeley, CA

Even that link doesn't work

Edited by Copper, Jun 9 2018, 05:45 AM.
The Confederate soldier was peculiar in that he was ever ready to fight, but never ready to submit to the routine duty and discipline of the camp or the march. The soldiers were determined to be soldiers after their own notions, and do their duty, for the love of it, as they thought best. Carlton McCarthy

jon-nyc
Member Avatar
Cheers
Thatís great. I put it down almost completely for about 7 years. Shortly after the boy was born. I really only picked it up again early last year.
In my defense, I was left unsupervised.

Davis
Member Avatar
Fulla-Carp
Thanks for the yelp review time waster. :lol2:

Looking forward to the Horace review. Good go either way but I donít predict a middle of the road summary.

Tav D
Junior Carp
If you see a Weber or Young Chang thatís less than 5 years old give it a look. They are the same piano, redesigned a few years ago and much, much better than the old Young Changs. Price should be good, $3-4K.
Edited by Tav D, Jun 9 2018, 08:38 AM.

Larry
Member Avatar
Mmmmmmm, pie!
Horace
Jun 9 2018, 05:22 AM
Well I have a piano in the garage. I bought it new in 2003, a bohemia upright. I've never been happy with it. I loved the one in the showroom and ordered another of the same model in a different finish. But it sounded completely different from the one at the dealer. My mistake.

Get that Bohemia out of the garage and back into your house!!

Then find the best piano tech you can find, and have him work the piano over until you hear the sound you liked in the other One.

Or sell it if you want to, but whatever you do, get it back in the house.
Of the Pokatwat Tribe

Larry
Member Avatar
Mmmmmmm, pie!
I like Bohemia uprights. Very warm, delicate tone.
Of the Pokatwat Tribe

Horace
Member Avatar
HOLY CARP!!!
It was fun. My wife loved his little dog which was running around the place. He takes pianos very seriously. Best selection of pianos I've ever seen. My favorite within my price range was a new Schulze-Pollmann 126 (50") for 14k. The list is 26k from what I've seen on the internet.

I tried a Sauter but it was too bright for my tastes. Also tried a Schimmel, Hoffmann, and Steinway. The S-Ps were the best for the price IMO.

He had some uprights there that cost 80k.

Horace
Member Avatar
HOLY CARP!!!
Larry
Jun 9 2018, 11:44 AM
Horace
Jun 9 2018, 05:22 AM

Get that Bohemia out of the garage and back into your house!!

Then find the best piano tech you can find, and have him work the piano over until you hear the sound you liked in the other One.

Or sell it if you want to, but whatever you do, get it back in the house.
I tried to have it voiced when I bought it but nothing seemed to help. Taught me the lesson to never buy a piano out of a box.

George K
Member Avatar
Finally
Would it be worth your while and money to have someone else come and look at it?

Edit to add: Iím surprised that the dealership you bought it from allowed you to buy it unplaced. When my Bohemia was replaced (under warranty), they made a big deal of me coming to check out the replacement piano to assure that Iíd like it.
Edited by George K, Jun 9 2018, 01:49 PM.
A guide to GKSR: Click

"Now look here, you Baltic gas passer... "
- Mik, 6/14/08

Nothing is as effective as homeopathy.

"There are 57 different genders, but politics is binary."
- David Burge, 7/29/18

Horace
Member Avatar
HOLY CARP!!!
Nah I'm going to get a different piano.

Mark
Member Avatar
HOLY CARP!!!
Larry
Jun 9 2018, 11:45 AM
I like Bohemia uprights. Very warm, delicate tone.
I agree. I have a nice Bohemia upright in my house. I hardly ever play it because, I mean, my L-190 is in the same room! :smokin:
___.___
(_]===*
o 0
When I see an adult on a bicycle, I do not despair for the future of the human race. H.G. Wells

Mikhailoh
Member Avatar
If you want trouble, find yourself a redhead
jon-nyc
Jun 9 2018, 06:24 AM
Thatís great. I put it down almost completely for about 7 years. Shortly after the boy was born. I really only picked it up again early last year.
Yeah, I did similarly for different reasons. Im interviewing teachers now.
"I have strong feelings about gun control. If there's a gun around, I want to be controlling it." Clint Eastwood, Pink Cadillac

Horace
Member Avatar
HOLY CARP!!!
Horace
Jun 9 2018, 01:37 PM
It was fun. My wife loved his little dog which was running around the place. He takes pianos very seriously. Best selection of pianos I've ever seen. My favorite within my price range was a new Schulze-Pollmann 126 (50") for 14k. The list is 26k from what I've seen on the internet.
Pardon, it's an Academy 125 rather than a Masterpiece 126. Not sure what the difference is.

Davis
Member Avatar
Fulla-Carp
The walls have ears.

Jolly
Member Avatar
Geaux Tigers!
Davis
Jun 10 2018, 01:08 PM
The walls have ears.
Posted Image

Horace
Member Avatar
HOLY CARP!!!
Davis
Jun 10 2018, 01:08 PM
The walls have ears.
Are/were you in the piano biz too, Davis?

DealsFor.me - The best sales, coupons, and discounts for you
Go to Next Page
« Previous Topic · The New Coffee Room · Next Topic »
Add Reply
  • Pages: