Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]
Welcome to The New Coffee Room. We hope you enjoy your visit.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use. If you join our community, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customizing your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free.

Join our community!

If you're already a member please log in to your account to access all of our features:

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
RIP Tom Wolfe
Topic Started: May 15 2018, 07:58 AM (119 Views)
George K
Member Avatar
Finally
The first Wolfe book I read was "Radical Chic & Mau-Mauing the Flak Catchers." "The Right Stuff" is a classic, and "Bonfires" is brilliant.

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2018-05-15/tom-wolfe-whose-journalism-struck-literary-note-dies-at-87?cmpId=yhoo.headline&yptr=yahoo
Quote:

Tom Wolfe, the ice-cream-suited dandy and prose provocateur who took a new mixture of journalism and literary techniques to mind-bending heights in works such as “Radical Chic” and “The Right Stuff,” has died. He was 88.

He died Monday in a Manhattan hospital, according to the New York Times, citing his agent, Lynn Nesbit, who said Wolfe had been hospitalized with an infection. He lived in New York.

A founding father of what became known as New Journalism, Wolfe added the terms “pushing the outside of the envelope” and “good ol’ boy” to the American lexicon. He branded the navel-gazing 1970s the “Me Decade” and dubbed high-flying Wall Street bond traders “Masters of the Universe” in his first work of fiction, “The Bonfire of the Vanities.”

His nonfiction work, most prominently in New York magazine and Esquire, followed a path laid in reporting by Gay Talese and Jimmy Breslin. Recalling with admiration a Breslin piece, Wolfe wrote in New York magazine in 1972: “There it was, a short story, complete with symbolism, in fact, and yet true-life, as they say.”

These practitioners of the New Journalism -- a term Wolfe said he didn’t like -- considered novels the highest form of writing. In the early 1960s, Wolfe said, they stumbled on the realization that journalism could be written to “read like a novel.”

“They never guessed for a minute that the work they would do over the next ten years, as journalists, would wipe out the novel as literature’s main event,” Wolfe recalled.
Edited by George K, May 15 2018, 07:58 AM.
A guide to GKSR: Click

"Now look here, you Baltic gas passer... "
- Mik, 6/14/08

Nothing is as effective as homeopathy.

I'd rather listen to an hour of Abba than an hour of The Beatles.
- Klaus, 4/29/18
Online Profile Quote Post Goto Top

Copper
Member Avatar
Shortstop

RIP Mr. Wolfe
The Confederate soldier was peculiar in that he was ever ready to fight, but never ready to submit to the routine duty and discipline of the camp or the march. The soldiers were determined to be soldiers after their own notions, and do their duty, for the love of it, as they thought best. Carlton McCarthy

jon-nyc
Member Avatar
Cheers
Oh, no. RIP. I enjoyed his books.
Liszt Godowsky jon-nyc Rachmaninoff Hamelin

bachophile
Member Avatar
HOLY CARP!!!
My first wolf was electric Kool aid acid test.

I really liked his unique style
"I don't know much about classical music. For years I thought the Goldberg Variations were something Mr. and Mrs. Goldberg did on their wedding night." Woody Allen

Mikhailoh
Member Avatar
If you want trouble, find yourself a redhead
That was Ken Keysey.

Edit: no, he was the subject, not the author. I stand self-corrected.
Once in his life, every man is entitled to fall madly in love with a gorgeous redhead - Lucille Ball
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

jon-nyc
Member Avatar
Cheers
The Times obit is good.

https://www.nytimes.com/2018/05/15/obituaries/tom-wolfe-pyrotechnic-nonfiction-writer-and-novelist-dies-at-88.html

George K
Member Avatar
Finally
As I said, I liked "The Right Stuff" because of, I think, the story, more than the style. However, when I read "Bonfires" a couple of years ago, I loved the style. He had such a way of telling a story. Steven King is another one like that (I don't like his horror stuff all that much, but the others....).

I should revisit Updike.

- Mik, 6/14/08

- Klaus, 4/29/18

jon-nyc
Member Avatar
Cheers
I’ve never read The Right Stuff. I’ve read all his novels and the EKAT&MTFC

George K
Member Avatar
Finally
The genius of Tom Wolfe’s white suits
Quote:

Wolfe’s white suits didn’t make him look cool; they made him look odd. And what he seemed to understand was that odd was far more intriguing than cool. Odd is full of shadings and contradictions, frustrations and delights. The odd man fascinates. His personality must be unpacked; he is worth considering. But he also must be approached with caution and care. Who knows what he might do? Cool is overrated. People recognize cool when they see it, but once it’s witnessed and documented, it’s finished. To be cool is to be part of an era or a movement. But Wolfe surpassed his times. He stood apart. He was singular.

Wolfe, who died Monday at 88, wore white suits in public and in the solitary time he spent writing. The white suits were a constant visual contradiction. They made him look courtly at a time when irony and sarcasm were the rules of conversational engagement. He had the appearance of an awkward outsider as well as that of a man who was the star of his own play. The suits were beautifully tailored but desperately out of fashion. The white suit was a Southern affectation that Wolfe did not succumb to until he called New York City home. It made him the center of attention in any room even though his journalistic profession was best served by his ability to be the unnoticed observer.

- Mik, 6/14/08

- Klaus, 4/29/18

ivorythumper
Member Avatar
I am so adjective that I verb nouns!
George K
May 17 2018, 05:21 AM
The genius of Tom Wolfe’s white suits
Quote:

Wolfe’s white suits didn’t make him look cool; they made him look odd. And what he seemed to understand was that odd was far more intriguing than cool. Odd is full of shadings and contradictions, frustrations and delights. The odd man fascinates. His personality must be unpacked; he is worth considering. But he also must be approached with caution and care. Who knows what he might do? Cool is overrated. People recognize cool when they see it, but once it’s witnessed and documented, it’s finished. To be cool is to be part of an era or a movement. But Wolfe surpassed his times. He stood apart. He was singular.

Wolfe, who died Monday at 88, wore white suits in public and in the solitary time he spent writing. The white suits were a constant visual contradiction. They made him look courtly at a time when irony and sarcasm were the rules of conversational engagement. He had the appearance of an awkward outsider as well as that of a man who was the star of his own play. The suits were beautifully tailored but desperately out of fashion. The white suit was a Southern affectation that Wolfe did not succumb to until he called New York City home. It made him the center of attention in any room even though his journalistic profession was best served by his ability to be the unnoticed observer.
Wolfe called his sartorial style "neo-pretentious". :lol2:
The dogma lives loudly within me.
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

« Previous Topic · The New Coffee Room · Next Topic »
Add Reply