Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]
Welcome to The New Coffee Room. We hope you enjoy your visit.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use. If you join our community, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customizing your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free.

Join our community!

If you're already a member please log in to your account to access all of our features:

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
Storm Yesterday
Topic Started: May 15 2018, 07:32 AM (148 Views)
Copper
Member Avatar
Shortstop

A friend took these pictures yesterday from his place in Reston. My house was underneath that monster at the time.

The walls on the front of the clouds, moving toward the camera, looked really weird.

The storm was pretty intense, I'd guess about 2 inches of rain in an hour, wind gust up to 37 knots.

Posted Image

Posted Image

The Confederate soldier was peculiar in that he was ever ready to fight, but never ready to submit to the routine duty and discipline of the camp or the march. The soldiers were determined to be soldiers after their own notions, and do their duty, for the love of it, as they thought best. Carlton McCarthy
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

Catseye3
Member Avatar
Fulla-Carp
It passed me by, but made itself felt. The rain was sporadic, but threatening.
Chocolate doesn't ask silly questions. Chocolate understands.
Online Profile Quote Post Goto Top

Jolly
Member Avatar
Geaux Tigers!
Y'all send some rain down here. Haven't see any for a couple of weeks and the garden sure could use it....
The main obstacle to a stable and just world order is the United States.- George Soros

jon-nyc
Member Avatar
Cheers
Wow. Glad it didnít extend this far. We just had some am rain.
In my defense, I was left unsupervised.

Friday
Senior Carp
Those clouds look freaky awesome.

Rainman
Member Avatar
Fulla-Carp
So Copper, would you fly through that?
(a real man would, you know...)

Luke's Dad
Member Avatar
Emperor Pengin
Tornado warnings throughout the area.

Then we had the massive storm last night. Woke up to the dogs whining and hiding in the bathroom. I opened the door for them to head down to tge basement (their favorite place in a storm) but they refused to leave the bathroom.

We're supposed to get another one tonight.
The problem with having an open mind is that people keep trying to put things in it.

Copper
Member Avatar
Shortstop
Rainman
May 15 2018, 10:47 AM
So Copper, would you fly through that?
(a real man would, you know...)

There was a man named Scott Crossfield, you can read about him some in the The Right Stuff.

He was the first man to break Mach 2. He earned a large pile of aviation trophies and awards.

He lived only a few miles from here across the street from an elementary school named for him. He had the same birthday as me.

There aren't many real man aviators like him.

One day as he flew his Cessna 210 home from Alabama he went into a cloud that looked something like that.

After a little while the wings separated from the plane. It turns out that he was not superman.

The Confederate soldier was peculiar in that he was ever ready to fight, but never ready to submit to the routine duty and discipline of the camp or the march. The soldiers were determined to be soldiers after their own notions, and do their duty, for the love of it, as they thought best. Carlton McCarthy

jon-nyc
Member Avatar
Cheers
Hitting here really hard now. Grand Central is closed as all the lines are suspended for downed trees. 3 fire trucks on the next street. We still have power.

Suddenly im concerned about a tree that's been swaying too much. A big pine. I've actually already scheduled it's removal.

jon-nyc
Member Avatar
Cheers
400k people out of power in tristate area, GCT is actually closed - doors locked. Fear of overcrowding.

Imagine how chaotic those commuter trains will be when they finally start running again.

http://abc7news.com/news/more-than-400k-without-power-as-severe-thunderstorms-batter-northeast/3476012/

MainerMikeBrown
Senior Carp
We've had some bad storms come through today here in New England. But the more violent storms are supposed to hit southern New England, not us here in Maine. We're too far north.

taiwan_girl
Member Avatar
Fulla-Carp
That is some neat (but scary) pictures. Copper, Glad that there was no damage to yourself.

« Previous Topic · The New Coffee Room · Next Topic »
Add Reply