Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]
Welcome to The New Coffee Room. We hope you enjoy your visit.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use. If you join our community, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customizing your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free.

Join our community!

If you're already a member please log in to your account to access all of our features:

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
The "Intellectual Dark Web"; NYT Op Ed
Topic Started: May 14 2018, 07:51 PM (136 Views)
Klaus
Member Avatar
HOLY CARP!!!
https://www.nytimes.com/2018/05/08/opinion/intellectual-dark-web.html

Interesting!
Trifonov Fleisher Klaus Sokolov Zimmerman
Online Profile Quote Post Goto Top

Aqua Letifer
Member Avatar
ZOOOOOM!
Very.

We're somewhere in the middle, between Peterson's view that the radical left represents only a very small but vocal minority (which isn't true, or it's irrelevant, because they're creating real problems for a lot of people right now and it's got to stop), and Jolly's view that a war's a-comin' (which I don't think is true because we've figured out more complicated problems before; then again it's not impossible if things continue to escalate I guess).
I cite irreconcilable differences.
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

Friday
Senior Carp
Thanks for sharing this Klaus.

Yes, it was very interesting reading.

jon-nyc
Member Avatar
Cheers
Yeah, I liked that piece.
Liszt Godowsky jon-nyc Rachmaninoff Hamelin

Jolly
Member Avatar
Geaux Tigers!
History is on my side...
The main obstacle to a stable and just world order is the United States.- George Soros

Copper
Member Avatar
Shortstop

Quote:

There are fundamental biological differences between men and women.

Brilliant
The Confederate soldier was peculiar in that he was ever ready to fight, but never ready to submit to the routine duty and discipline of the camp or the march. The soldiers were determined to be soldiers after their own notions, and do their duty, for the love of it, as they thought best. Carlton McCarthy

Rainman
Member Avatar
Fulla-Carp
Yeah, great article!
It would be informative to have a follow-up article(s) on the deeper reasons someone like Bret Weinstein and his wife were forced to leave Evergreen College. And, the deeper reason Jordan Peterson opposed C-116.

This paragraph struck me as what I would hope becomes common in the future:
Quote:

But they all share three distinct qualities. First, they are willing to disagree ferociously, but talk civilly, about nearly every meaningful subject: religion, abortion, immigration, the nature of consciousness. Second, in an age in which popular feelings about the way things ought to be often override facts about the way things actually are, each is determined to resist parroting what’s politically convenient. And third, some have paid for this commitment by being purged from institutions that have become increasingly hostile to unorthodox thought — and have found receptive audiences elsewhere.

jon-nyc
Member Avatar
Cheers
Liston to Bret Weinstein being interviewed on Sam Harris' podcast.
Liszt Godowsky jon-nyc Rachmaninoff Hamelin

« Previous Topic · The New Coffee Room · Next Topic »
Add Reply