Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]
Welcome to The New Coffee Room. We hope you enjoy your visit.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use. If you join our community, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customizing your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free.

Join our community!

If you're already a member please log in to your account to access all of our features:

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
JON'S SECRET HIDEOUT KEEP OUT
Topic Started: Apr 26 2018, 10:38 AM (278 Views)
jon-nyc
Member Avatar
Cheers
Haha f­uck you it was a trap. Gotcha!
Liszt Godowsky jon-nyc Rachmaninoff Hamelin
Online Profile Quote Post Goto Top

Horace
Member Avatar
HOLY CARP!!!
Let's talk about Sam Harris' podcast here.

I've been going through the backlog recently. I suppose this really is the cutting edge of thought. It's a great pleasure to be exposed to it.

The Omer Aziz episode was an awesome trainwreck! I especially enjoyed that one.
Edited by Horace, Apr 29 2018, 10:46 AM.
As a good person, I implore you to do as I, a good person, do. Be good. Do NOT be bad. If you see bad, end bad. End it in yourself, and end it in others. By any means necessary, the good must conquer the bad. Good people know this. Do you know this? Are you good?
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

jon-nyc
Member Avatar
Cheers
You know, I could only listen to about 10m of it. I didn't even get to the train wreck part, I think.

I've liked the episodes with each of the Weinstein brothers. I even liked the Jordan Peterson episodes.

Have you heard the episode where he lays out his views on guns? Something in there for everyone to hate. But I thought he made perfect sense.

I was never a huge fan of the Lawrence Krause episodes. I'm not losing sleep over the fact that he blew himself up. Or maybe other people blew him up. And Matt Dilahunty just seems out of place on a stage with Harris, and of course Dawkins.

jon-nyc
Member Avatar
Cheers
This most recent one (about Christianity) is actually quite interesting.

Horace
Member Avatar
HOLY CARP!!!
I agree about Dillahunty. It's clear that he's a talk radio show host, for better or worse. Certainly worse when on stage with those other folk.

I enjoyed the most recent one too. It's a rare opportunity to listen to someone that educated about a religion, but without a religious bias toward or against it.
As a good person, I implore you to do as I, a good person, do. Be good. Do NOT be bad. If you see bad, end bad. End it in yourself, and end it in others. By any means necessary, the good must conquer the bad. Good people know this. Do you know this? Are you good?

Luke's Dad
Member Avatar
Emperor Pengin
Why are there so many dead hookers in here?
The problem with having an open mind is that people keep trying to put things in it.

jon-nyc
Member Avatar
Cheers
The live ones got away.

Horace
Member Avatar
HOLY CARP!!!
I finally got around to listening to the Scott Adams episode. Adams came off much better than I expected from all the negative references Harris has made to the episode since it aired.

Horace
Member Avatar
HOLY CARP!!!
I listened to the Timothy Snyder episode. That was a quaint bit of TDS hysteria. I'm glad people aren't having to endure those sorts of emotions anymore. At least, I don't think they are.

Funny thing is, I've always considered Harris measured in his attitude towards Trump, even with an ability to tell others on the left to calm down a bit. Going back through the podcast history, it's clear he didn't start out that way.

jon-nyc
Member Avatar
Cheers
Horace
May 6 2018, 04:53 PM
I finally got around to listening to the Scott Adams episode. Adams came off much better than I expected from all the negative references Harris has made to the episode since it aired.
Yeah, I don't think the episode was a train wreck. I remember thinking Adams was a bit weaselly, though. Harris (in general) illustrates his points with analogies quite bit. Adams would often deflect, pretending that analogies were a per se problem, and not address the original point. But then he'd constantly bring up his own recurring analogy about two movies on one screen. When I listened I was shocked Harris never called him out on it. He also resorted more than once to the '5D chess' defense about everything he couldn't defend in any straightforward way. Conveniently unfalsifiable. At least Harris did call him out on that.

I also think he was a little disingenuous in his claim to not be a true Trump fan, rather just appreciative of the 'persuasion'. THat's really obviously false.

Ok, done bitching. I appreciated his insight into 'emotional truths' contained in many of Trump's untruths. Overall I thought he did as good a job as one can do in defending the idea of Trump without relying purely on resentment and nihilism.

jon-nyc
Member Avatar
Cheers
Horace
May 7 2018, 01:37 PM
I listened to the Timothy Snyder episode. That was a quaint bit of TDS hysteria. I'm glad people aren't having to endure those sorts of emotions anymore. At least, I don't think they are.

Funny thing is, I've always considered Harris measured in his attitude towards Trump, even with an ability to tell others on the left to calm down a bit. Going back through the podcast history, it's clear he didn't start out that way.
Don't feel like looking it up but I assume that is the guy that wrote some book about road to tyranny? Yeah I thought that was over the top, not sure I even finished the episode.

Horace
Member Avatar
HOLY CARP!!!
jon-nyc
May 8 2018, 11:20 AM
Overall I thought he did as good a job as one can do in defending the idea of Trump without relying purely on resentment and nihilism.
That's a tell. You say he did something as well as possible.

jon-nyc
Member Avatar
Cheers
As well as I've heard anyway. How about you?

Horace
Member Avatar
HOLY CARP!!!
Nihilism as it applies to what sorts of politicians we have is the best I've heard. But your criteria excludes that. What can one say? Trump is transparently very human.

jon-nyc
Member Avatar
Cheers
Still working through the backlist. I just listened to the Ayyan Hirsi Ali episode. Good episode, but depressing.

Horace
Member Avatar
HOLY CARP!!!
The Gary Taubes episode is fantastic.

I haven't listened to the Ayyan Hirsi Ali ep yet but I'll get to it.

I did listen to the other ex-muslim, Sarah Haider, but she was humorless and uninteresting. I couldn't make it through that one.

The Max Tegmark episodes are great. I got his book Our Mathematical Universe. Pretty neat stuff, but I need to listen again to try to understand it more.

jon-nyc
Member Avatar
Cheers
Did you get his book after hearing him on the podcast?

I want to get that book too.

Horace
Member Avatar
HOLY CARP!!!
Yes, I had never heard of him until the podcast.

I listened to the Joshua Oppenheimer one, and watched the first of his documentaries, The Act of Killing. Chilling and brilliant.

« Previous Topic · Questions and Suggestions · Next Topic »
Add Reply