Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]
Welcome to The New Coffee Room. We hope you enjoy your visit.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use. If you join our community, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customizing your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free.

Join our community!

If you're already a member please log in to your account to access all of our features:

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
24-hour grocery stores
Topic Started: Apr 15 2018, 10:57 PM (256 Views)
Riley
Member Avatar
HOLY CARP!!!
Wondering if the trend of 24/7 grocery stores reducing their hours is just happening here, or if it is everywhere. There is now only one 24-hour store left in the entire city. 2-3 years ago there was easily 10-15.
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

jon-nyc
Member Avatar
Cheers
Interesting. I canít say Iíve noticed a trend either way. In my sleepy burb nothing is 24 hours. In the city the delis are all 24 hours.

Oddly, my ymca just went 24x7 this year. Itís in a sleepy burb nearby.
Liszt Godowsky jon-nyc Rachmaninoff Hamelin

Jolly
Member Avatar
The Truth is out there.
All about cost and profit. Grocery stores operate on thin margins and if there isn't enough business to make the all night hours profitable, they close.
The main obstacle to a stable and just world order is the United States.- George Soros

Riley
Member Avatar
HOLY CARP!!!
jon-nyc
Apr 16 2018, 01:39 AM
Interesting. I canít say Iíve noticed a trend either way. In my sleepy burb nothing is 24 hours. In the city the delis are all 24 hours.

Oddly, my ymca just went 24x7 this year. Itís in a sleepy burb nearby.
How far do you have to drive for a 24/7 store? I used to have several options less than 5 min away, now the closest is 15-20 mins. One of our supermarket chains, Metro, has maybe 10 stores citywide, they were all 24 hours, but over the past couple years theyíve all converted to either 8-10 or 7-11.

As for gyms, those are all 24/7 afaik. Thereís probably 20 of those closer to me than the nearest 24 hour grocery store at this point.

There are, of course, hundreds of 24 hour convenience stores, but theyíre good for snacks and a small selection of ****ty frozen stuff.

Klaus
Member Avatar
HOLY CARP!!!
Our grocery stores close at midnight the latest, even in the most densely populated areas. They typically have meat counters, cheese counters, fish counters, and bread counters, all of which must be manned with expensive personell. The unions make sure that personell is in fact very expensive at night. It doesn't pay off. The only place where I could buy something at 3am would be a gas station.
Trifonov Fleisher Klaus Sokolov Zimmerman

jon-nyc
Member Avatar
Cheers
Riley
Apr 16 2018, 09:51 PM
How far do you have to drive for a 24/7 store? I used to have several options less than 5 min away, now the closest is 15-20 mins. One of our supermarket chains, Metro, has maybe 10 stores citywide, they were all 24 hours, but over the past couple years theyíve all converted to either 8-10 or 7-11.

As for gyms, those are all 24/7 afaik. Thereís probably 20 of those closer to me than the nearest 24 hour grocery store at this point.

There are, of course, hundreds of 24 hour convenience stores, but theyíre good for snacks and a small selection of ****ty frozen stuff.
Honestly I donít know. A friend once joked that being over 30 means you no longer know when the nearest Wendyís closes.

I suspect Iíd find a 24 hour gas station on the main N-S road through the middle of Westchester. Possibly a 7-11 there too. Anything else Iíd need to go to Yonkers, a city which borders the Bronx a bit south of me. Actually even there I suspect the proper grocery stores are closed and all Iíd find are a bunch of delis. But they are a tad more grocery-store like than the gas stations and convenience stores.

jon-nyc
Member Avatar
Cheers
Klaus
Apr 16 2018, 11:53 PM
Our grocery stores close at midnight the latest, even in the most densely populated areas. They typically have meat counters, cheese counters, fish counters, and bread counters, all of which must be manned with expensive personell. The unions make sure that personell is in fact very expensive at night. It doesn't pay off. The only place where I could buy something at 3am would be a gas station.
When I have seen 24hr grocery stores those specialty departments are closed. Even the produce is put away in back. Itís really just the stuff on the shelves that is accessible.

I think the idea of the 24 hour stores is they already use that time to restock and clean, so why not add a single cashier and keep the front door unlocked.

My guess is some stores that have backed away from that logic have come to consider some of the overnight customers like Riley a positive liability.

Klaus
Member Avatar
HOLY CARP!!!
jon-nyc
Apr 17 2018, 12:49 AM
My guess is some stores that have backed away from that logic have come to consider some of the overnight customers like Riley a positive liability.
A few stores here don't sell alcohol after 8pm because they are annoyed that some groups of people will make their parties in front of their entrance or the parking lot.

In the time between 10pm and 4am, the gas stations probably make a very significant part of their profits by selling beer and booze.

Riley
Member Avatar
HOLY CARP!!!
jon-nyc
Apr 17 2018, 12:49 AM
Klaus
Apr 16 2018, 11:53 PM
When I have seen 24hr grocery stores those specialty departments are closed. Even the produce is put away in back. Itís really just the stuff on the shelves that is accessible.

I think the idea of the 24 hour stores is they already use that time to restock and clean, so why not add a single cashier and keep the front door unlocked.

Yup, at our 24-hour stores the specialty meat, cheese, bakery etc. counters, are closed at night. Produce is still completely accessible though. And they have pre shrink wrapped options for pretty much any meat, picked up some steaks at 3am yesterday.

taiwan_girl
Member Avatar
Fulla-Carp
Somebody was telling me that it was not so much more expensive to keep a grocery store open all day/night if they did not keep the special counters open. They would stock the food at night, so having an extra person to do the cash register was not much more money for them. Don't know, but it made sense for me.

jon-nyc
Member Avatar
Cheers
Yeah, that is the point I was making.

One thing, though, is more and more space in the aisles is now essentially farmed out to the big food companies who stock it themselves during the day.

It could be that there is less of a case for 24hr operation based on stocking than there was a few years ago.

Klaus
Member Avatar
HOLY CARP!!!
Quote:

more and more space in the aisles is now essentially farmed out to the big food companies who stock it themselves during the day

???

jon-nyc
Member Avatar
Cheers
The business model is shifting. Like department stores are here too. Part of their deal with the big vendors (PepsiCo, frito-lay, Colgate-Palmolive, proctor and gamble, etc) is to set aside shelf space that the vendor then manages. They bid for things like Ďend capsí, and other prime space. Itís not apparent to the customer, unless you know enough about brands to realize that all the (say) General Mills snacks are on one side of the aisle while the Nabisco snacks are on the other.

Though sometimes customers think Ďwhy donít they put all the tortilla chips together and all the pretzels together?í, not realizing that the sorting is by manufacturer.

Riley
Member Avatar
HOLY CARP!!!
Yup, Iíve seen that before, I think I asked a question once, and the guy was like ďoh I donít work for Walmart, I work for (whatever companies product he was stocking).

« Previous Topic · The New Coffee Room · Next Topic »
Add Reply