Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]
Welcome to The New Coffee Room. We hope you enjoy your visit.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use. If you join our community, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customizing your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free.

Join our community!

If you're already a member please log in to your account to access all of our features:

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
RIP R. Lee Ermey
Topic Started: Apr 15 2018, 05:15 PM (320 Views)
George K
Member Avatar
Finally
http://www.foxnews.com/entertainment/2018/04/15/full-metal-jacket-actor-r-lee-ermey-dies-at-age-74.html

Quote:

R. Lee Ermey, a former Marine Corps drill instructor known to millions of moviegoers as the sadistic Gunnery Sergeant Hartman in Stanley Kubrick's "Full Metal Jacket," died Sunday morning, according to his longtime manager. He was 74.

In a statement posted on Twitter, Bill Rogin said Ermey had died due to complications from pneumonia.

"He will be greatly missed by all of us," Rogin wrote. "Semper Fi, Gunny. Godspeed."

A Kansas native, Ermey enlisted in the Marine Corps and age 17 and spent 14 months in Vietnam before he was discharged in 1972. He served as a technical adviser in Francis Ford Coppola's 1979 Vietnam War epic, "Apocalypse Now," in which he also had a small role as a helicopter pilot.

But Ermey didn't get his big break until eight years later, in Kubrick's own take on Vietnam. He was originally supposed to be a technical adviser, but Kubrick offered him the role of Gunnery Sergeant Hartman after seeing a demo tape of Ermey railing at extras.

In his role as a drill instructor breaking in new Marines at boot camp on Parris Island, S.C., Ermey roared his way into film history by berating his unfortunate charges.
A guide to GKSR: Click

"Now look here, you Baltic gas passer... "
- Mik, 6/14/08

Nothing is as effective as homeopathy.

"There are 57 different genders, but politics is binary."
- David Burge, 7/29/18
Online Profile Quote Post Goto Top

Mikhailoh
Member Avatar
If you want trouble, find yourself a redhead
Sorry to see that.
"I have strong feelings about gun control. If there's a gun around, I want to be controlling it." Clint Eastwood, Pink Cadillac

jon-nyc
Member Avatar
Cheers
RIP, Gunny.
Clowns to the left of me, jokers to the right.

Copper
Member Avatar
Shortstop

RIP Mr. Ermey
The Confederate soldier was peculiar in that he was ever ready to fight, but never ready to submit to the routine duty and discipline of the camp or the march. The soldiers were determined to be soldiers after their own notions, and do their duty, for the love of it, as they thought best. Carlton McCarthy
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

Horace
Member Avatar
HOLY CARP!!!
RIP. That Full Metal Jacket role was film history.
As a good person, I implore you to do as I, a good person, do. Be good. Do NOT be bad. If you see bad, end bad. End it in yourself, and end it in others. By any means necessary, the good must conquer the bad. Good people know this. Do you know this? Are you good?

jon-nyc
Member Avatar
Cheers
It really was. I think every memory I have of that movie is a scene with him starring prominently.
Clowns to the left of me, jokers to the right.

Davis
Member Avatar
Fulla-Carp
jon-nyc
Apr 15 2018, 06:27 PM
It really was. I think every memory I have of that movie is a scene with him starring prominently.
Yup. Great movie and worlds greatest shift in tone in the bathroom. Haunting.

Jolly
Member Avatar
Geaux Tigers!
Knew he'd slowed down in the last several months. Didn't know he'd been ill.

Semper Fi, Gunny.
The main obstacle to a stable and just world order is the United States.- George Soros

Jolly
Member Avatar
Geaux Tigers!
Ermey's career slowed down during Barry's Administration. Gunny's take:

Do you realize I have not done a movie in five to six years? Why? Because I was totally blackballed by the ... liberals in Hollywood,” he alleged. “They can destroy you. They’re hateful people [who] don’t just not like you, they want to take away your livelihood ... that’s why I live up in the desert on a dirt road ... I don’t have to put up with their crap.
The main obstacle to a stable and just world order is the United States.- George Soros

Jolly
Member Avatar
Geaux Tigers!
If you ladies leave my island, if you survive recruit training, you will be a weapon.

You will be a minister of death praying for war. But until that day you are pukes.

You are the lowest form of life on Earth.

You are not even human ****ing beings. You are nothing but unorganized grabastic pieces of amphibian ****! Because I am hard, you will not like me.

But the more you hate me, the more you will learn. I am hard but I am fair.

There is no racial bigotry here.

I do not look down on niggers, kikes, wops or greasers. Here you are all equally worthless.

And my orders are to weed out all non-hackers who do not pack the gear to serve in my beloved Corps.

Do you maggots understand that?

MainerMikeBrown
Senior Carp
My dad is an ex-Marine. And he said the toughest man he ever knew was his drill instructor during boot camp.

I'm sure Lee Ermy was a bad man too, a tough man.

Jolly
Member Avatar
Geaux Tigers!
Read this one a few years ago...Well worth reading...

https://www.amazon.com/Few-Proud-Marine-Corps-Instructors/dp/0393329925

Rainman
Member Avatar
Fulla-Carp
MainerMikeBrown
Apr 16 2018, 07:34 AM
My dad is an ex-Marine. And he said the toughest man he ever knew was his drill instructor during boot camp.

I'm sure Lee Ermy was a bad man too, a tough man.
Mainer. . . I made the mistake you just made, and was taken to task by my daughter (Navy - 6 years).

I said "ex-Marine" while we were talking, and my daughter told me sternly, "Dad, there is no such thing as an ex-Marine. It is 'former Marine'"

George K
Member Avatar
Finally
Rainman
Apr 16 2018, 08:40 AM
"Dad, there is no such thing as an ex-Marine. It is 'former Marine'"

https://www.military.com/marine-corps-birthday/marine-birthday-no-exmarines.html
Quote:

Marines retain a sense of pride that never leaves them, long after they have put away their dress blues for good, Lewis said.

"Absolutely, there is no such thing as an ex-Marine," he said. "Once a Marine, always a Marine. When people say former Marine, most oftentimes, it refers to someone who formerly served in an active or reserve capacity. I never met anyone who said 'former Marine' and meant it in any disrespectful manner. Definitely a taboo phrase would be 'ex-Marine.' "
A guide to GKSR: Click

"Now look here, you Baltic gas passer... "
- Mik, 6/14/08

Nothing is as effective as homeopathy.

"There are 57 different genders, but politics is binary."
- David Burge, 7/29/18

MainerMikeBrown
Senior Carp
When I was in high school, I was somewhat considering joining the military. But I had already ruled out the Marines. I knew it would be too much for me.

I'm sure R. Lee Ermey loved what he did.

Jolly
Member Avatar
Geaux Tigers!
My wife's uncle bleeds dress blue. There are three flags in his yard. This one:

Posted Image

This one:

Posted Image

And this one:

Posted Image

The U.S. flag flies on the tallest flagpole in the center, the other two on either side of it. He is quite a character...Enjoyed his combat tour in SE Asia so much, he volunteered and went back for another round...

MainerMikeBrown
Senior Carp
In order to be a drill sergeant in the Marines, you have to be one tough cookie.

ZetaBoards - Free Forum Hosting
Free Forums. Reliable service with over 8 years of experience.
« Previous Topic · The New Coffee Room · Next Topic »
Add Reply