Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]
Welcome to The New Coffee Room. We hope you enjoy your visit.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use. If you join our community, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customizing your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free.

Join our community!

If you're already a member please log in to your account to access all of our features:

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
Ready to go?
Topic Started: Apr 15 2018, 11:31 AM (333 Views)
George K
Member Avatar
Finally
Babs in failing health

Quote:

Former first lady Barbara Bush is in “failing health” and won’t seek additional medical treatment, a Bush family spokesman said Sunday.

“Following a recent series of hospitalizations, and after consulting her family and doctors, Mrs. Bush, now age 92, has decided not to seek additional medical treatment and will instead focus on comfort care,” spokesman Jim McGrath said in a news release.

McGrath did not elaborate as to the nature of Bush’s health problems. She has been treated for decades for Graves’ disease, which is a thyroid condition.

“It will not surprise those who know her that Barbara Bush has been a rock in the face of her failing health, worrying not for herself — thanks to her abiding faith — but for others,” McGrath said. “She is surrounded by a family she adores, and appreciates the many kind messages and especially the prayers she is receiving.”

Bush is one of only two first ladies who was also the mother of a president. The other was Abigail Adams, wife of John Adams and mother of John Quincy Adams.

She married George H.W. Bush in 1945. They had six children and have been married longer than any presidential couple in American history.

Eight years after she and her husband left the White House, Mrs. Bush stood with her husband as their son George W. was sworn in as president.
A guide to GKSR: Click

"Now look here, you Baltic gas passer... "
- Mik, 6/14/08

Nothing is as effective as homeopathy.

Free is never free, regardless if it is from corporations or government.
-Davis, 3/28/17
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

MainerMikeBrown
Senior Carp
I hope Barbara Bush will be happier in life at this point by focusing on comfort care rather than additional medical care.

jon-nyc
Member Avatar
Cheers
Wow.

Married in 1945. Let that sink in. 73 years.

I wish her and GHWB well.
Liszt Godowsky jon-nyc Rachmaninoff Hamelin

MainerMikeBrown
Senior Carp
Being married since 1945 is a marriage that's lasted a lot longer than most marriages in America, especially nowadays.

Klaus
Member Avatar
HOLY CARP!!!
No sh1t!
Trifonov Fleisher Klaus Sokolov Zimmerman

brenda
Member Avatar
God bless her.
“Weeds are flowers, too, once you get to know them.”
~A.A. Milne

Jolly
Member Avatar
The Truth is out there.
They've had a really good run, and it looks like they may be going out together.

Can't ask the good Lord for much more than that....
The main obstacle to a stable and just world order is the United States.- George Soros

Catlady
Junior Carp
I have VERY fond memories of Mrs. Bush. My first real full-time job, after my divorce was working for a calligraphy studio. I "managed" 7 artists. The owner of the studio worked at the White House, in the social office for many years. She and Mrs. Bush became friends and really bonded through their love of animals. Mrs. Bush would write long, wonderful letters from her pets to the pets of my boss. (Tuxedeaux and Fideaux)
After I left that job, I started working at a law firm near the White House. I would see Mrs. B. a LOT. She always seemed to be unaccompanied, but of course I knew she was not,... One of the many days I saw her in her favorite stationery/card/gift shop (Ginns), I walked up to her and was immediately surrounded by other "shoppers"(security). When I introduced myself and told her how much I enjoyed her letters to the kitties, she couldn't have been nicer. Every time I saw her after that, she always said a few kind/funny words.

Mikhailoh
Member Avatar
If you want trouble, find yourself a redhead
Class acts, both of them.
Once in his life, every man is entitled to fall madly in love with a gorgeous redhead - Lucille Ball

George K
Member Avatar
Finally
Catlady
Apr 15 2018, 03:22 PM
I have VERY fond memories of Mrs. Bush.
What a wonderful story. Thanks...

- Mik, 6/14/08

-Davis, 3/28/17

Catlady
Junior Carp
P.S.
I really wish my old boss would publish those old letters. They were just great.

brenda
Member Avatar
Catlady
Apr 15 2018, 03:43 PM
P.S.
I really wish my old boss would publish those old letters. They were just great.
+1 They sound refreshingly funny.
“Weeds are flowers, too, once you get to know them.”
~A.A. Milne

George K
Member Avatar
Finally
RIP...

- Mik, 6/14/08

-Davis, 3/28/17

Copper
Member Avatar
Shortstop

RIP Mrs Bush
The Confederate soldier was peculiar in that he was ever ready to fight, but never ready to submit to the routine duty and discipline of the camp or the march. The soldiers were determined to be soldiers after their own notions, and do their duty, for the love of it, as they thought best. Carlton McCarthy

Catlady
Junior Carp
My mom was just talking about how she would see her at the Safeway in Belleview -- buying stuff during the holidays. One of the Bush "kids" lived there. Mom said she talked to everybody and asked opinions on what she was buying. A regular, not so regular mom.

Mark
Member Avatar
HOLY CARP!!!
R.I.P. Mrs. Bush.
___.___
(_]===*
o 0
When I see an adult on a bicycle, I do not despair for the future of the human race. H.G. Wells

Jolly
Member Avatar
The Truth is out there.
Classy lady. Helped my alma mater out tremendously.
The main obstacle to a stable and just world order is the United States.- George Soros

jon-nyc
Member Avatar
Cheers
RIP.

jon-nyc
Member Avatar
Cheers
Public figures react.

http://wtkr.com/2018/04/18/public-figures-react-to-death-of-barbara-bush/

My favorite, from the United States Navy Aircraft Carrier USS George H. W. Bush:

Quote:

Our thoughts, prayers, and deepest sympathies are with all of the Bush family tonight.

On behalf of every officer, chief, and Sailor aboard USS George H.W. Bush (CVN 77), rest in peace, ma’am. We have the watch.

jon-nyc
Member Avatar
Cheers
A short history of First Lady funerals.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/retropolis/wp/2018/04/21/barbara-bushs-funeral-why-melania-trump-michelle-obama-hillary-clinton-will-go/?utm_term=.ddf8b428f4f4

« Previous Topic · The New Coffee Room · Next Topic »
Add Reply