Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]
Welcome to The New Coffee Room. We hope you enjoy your visit.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use. If you join our community, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customizing your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free.

Join our community!

If you're already a member please log in to your account to access all of our features:

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
"I have to leave America because of racism"
Topic Started: Apr 13 2018, 11:31 AM (303 Views)
George K
Member Avatar
Finally
Yeah, perhaps she should go back to her native South Africa and enjoy a life of farming.

https://www.elle.com/culture/celebrities/a19744768/charlize-theron-tully-film-interview/

Quote:

But racism is much more alive and well than people thought. We can’t deny it anymore. We have to be vocal. There are places in this country where, if I got a job, I wouldn’t take it. I wouldn’t travel with my kids to some parts of America, and that’s really problematic. There are a lot of times when I look at my kids and I’m like, If this continues, I might have to [leave America]. Because the last thing I want is for my children to feel unsafe.
You know what? There are places about 10 miles from here where *I* would feel unsafe as well.

But, I doubt that her idea of what racism is has anything to do with it.
A guide to GKSR: Click

"Now look here, you Baltic gas passer... "
- Mik, 6/14/08

Nothing is as effective as homeopathy.

Free is never free, regardless if it is from corporations or government.
-Davis, 3/28/17
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

kluurs
Member Avatar
Fulla-Carp
Yeah, that's everywhere. When I was on one of the CSO volunteer boards, I encountered people from Barrington (suburb of Chicago) who thought they were taking on ISIS by coming downtown for the Symphony. My sister came from Arizona to visit the Newberry Library which is on gold coast of Chicago - one of the most exclusive places in the area - and my family convinced her she'd be killed if she went there. I worked in an office based in Wheaton (far West Suburb of Chicago) and we were moving to downtown Chicago - by Sears Tower - and staff were convinced they'd all be killed. Back on 9/11, people in rural Iowa were afraid to go to the mall because terrorists were going to get them. People are nuts - except for the group here on TNCR

Mikhailoh
Member Avatar
If you want trouble, find yourself a redhead
About that exception.....
Once in his life, every man is entitled to fall madly in love with a gorgeous redhead - Lucille Ball

jon-nyc
Member Avatar
Cheers
kluurs
Apr 13 2018, 12:21 PM
Yeah, that's everywhere. When I was on one of the CSO volunteer boards, I encountered people from Barrington (suburb of Chicago) who thought they were taking on ISIS by coming downtown for the Symphony. My sister came from Arizona to visit the Newberry Library which is on gold coast of Chicago - one of the most exclusive places in the area - and my family convinced her she'd be killed if she went there. I worked in an office based in Wheaton (far West Suburb of Chicago) and we were moving to downtown Chicago - by Sears Tower - and staff were convinced they'd all be killed. Back on 9/11, people in rural Iowa were afraid to go to the mall because terrorists were going to get them. People are nuts - except for the group here on TNCR
When I first moved to Chicago, my sister came to visit me. I lived right off of Miracle Mile. Rush and Chicago.

After she got settled we were going to head out to get something to eat (needless to say, 22 year old Jon wasn't much of a cook). She was absolutely flummoxed, because she wasn't sure what to do with her purse. Leave it at my apartment where someone might break in and steal it? Or take it with her and risk the mugging? Again, this was midday, a block off of Michigan Ave.

On our way out she asked if my doorman was armed. I said no. She said, 'but what happens if he gets robbed'? I said, I suppose he'd call the police like you or I would.

Since then she has lived in and worked in DC for 15 years. SHe's far more cool about cities.
Liszt Godowsky jon-nyc Rachmaninoff Hamelin

George K
Member Avatar
Finally
A couple of weeks ago, a certain Israeli surgeon I know and I had lunch in suburban Chicago - LaGrange, to be specific. I parked my car about 2 blocks from the place we ate, and I told him he could leave his stuff in the back seat.

"It won't get stolen, will it? My passport is in there, and I need it for this afternoon's flight."

But, I'm not naming names, of course.

- Mik, 6/14/08

-Davis, 3/28/17

jon-nyc
Member Avatar
Cheers
That pussy would never have survived in NY in the 70s.
Liszt Godowsky jon-nyc Rachmaninoff Hamelin

MainerMikeBrown
Senior Carp
Racism stinks.

Some people hate entire races. You don't hate entire races!

Copper
Member Avatar
Shortstop
George K
Apr 13 2018, 11:31 AM

There are places about 10 miles from here where *I* would feel unsafe as well.

She is probably talking about the same places.

The Confederate soldier was peculiar in that he was ever ready to fight, but never ready to submit to the routine duty and discipline of the camp or the march. The soldiers were determined to be soldiers after their own notions, and do their duty, for the love of it, as they thought best. Carlton McCarthy

Mikhailoh
Member Avatar
If you want trouble, find yourself a redhead
MainerMikeBrown
Apr 13 2018, 02:04 PM
Racism stinks.

Some people hate entire races. You don't hate entire races!
Not me. Some of my best friends are white.
Once in his life, every man is entitled to fall madly in love with a gorgeous redhead - Lucille Ball

Luke's Dad
Member Avatar
Emperor Pengin
I just hate everybody. Makes things a lot simpler.
The problem with having an open mind is that people keep trying to put things in it.

Davis
Member Avatar
Senior Carp
She’s not leaving this country. She was lost in a dialogue and it was a fleeting thought in context.

Klaus
Member Avatar
HOLY CARP!!!
Luke's Dad
Apr 14 2018, 07:50 AM
I just hate everybody. Makes things a lot simpler.
:thumb:
Trifonov Fleisher Klaus Sokolov Zimmerman

Larry
Member Avatar
Mmmmmmm, pie!
jon-nyc
Apr 13 2018, 01:57 PM
Theron?

She wasn't born until 1975, so you'd have had to wait until at least 1993 to destroy that one....
Of the Pokatwat Tribe

George K
Member Avatar
Finally
Larry
Apr 14 2018, 01:06 PM
jon-nyc
Apr 13 2018, 01:57 PM
Theron?
Nah, the unnamed Israeli surgeon I was with.

- Mik, 6/14/08

-Davis, 3/28/17

Larry
Member Avatar
Mmmmmmm, pie!
Yeah, I knew. I was just going for the cheap laugh....
Of the Pokatwat Tribe

MainerMikeBrown
Senior Carp
I can't relate to being the victim of racism because I'm a white guy and have lived most of my life in the whitest state in America, Maine.

« Previous Topic · The New Coffee Room · Next Topic »
Add Reply