Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]
Welcome to The New Coffee Room. We hope you enjoy your visit.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use. If you join our community, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customizing your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free.

Join our community!

If you're already a member please log in to your account to access all of our features:

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
  • Pages:
The organic movement jumps shark
Topic Started: Mar 13 2018, 10:37 AM (318 Views)
Mikhailoh
Member Avatar
If you want trouble, find yourself a redhead
Organic Cheetos. Doritos too.

Once in his life, every man is entitled to fall madly in love with a gorgeous redhead - Lucille Ball
Online Profile Quote Post Goto Top

Jolly
Member Avatar
Geaux Tigers!
I always thought the organic stuff was a crock.

How are you going to know?
The main obstacle to a stable and just world order is the United States.- George Soros

Axtremus
Member Avatar
HOLY CARP!!!
Jolly
Mar 13 2018, 10:44 AM
May be if the thing tastes or smells more like natural **** than chemical fertilizers?

brenda
Member Avatar
Axtremus
Mar 13 2018, 11:16 AM
Jolly
May be if the thing tastes or smells more like natural **** than chemical fertilizers?
Aqua has taken over Ax's login.
ďWeeds are flowers, too, once you get to know them.Ē
~A.A. Milne

MainerMikeBrown
Senior Carp
This news doesn't effect me much because I rarely eat Cheetos or Doritos.
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

Jolly
Member Avatar
Geaux Tigers!
brenda
Mar 13 2018, 11:19 AM
Axtremus
Jolly
Nah, don't think Aqua is that ignorant.

I maybe wrong but Ax doesn't strike me as the vegetable gardening type...
The main obstacle to a stable and just world order is the United States.- George Soros

Riley
Member Avatar
HOLY CARP!!!
brenda
Mar 13 2018, 11:19 AM
Axtremus
Jolly
:lol:

jon-nyc
Member Avatar
Cheers
There's an interesting debate about organic foods. I mean, besides the one about whether it really means anything important.

Among those who are into 'organic' there's a debate about how good it is when large scale producers try to go 'organic'. Some think its a great thing so that it can become more of a mass phenomenon. Others think that's somehow taints it and are really caught up in the romanticism of the small farmer. I tend to side with the former group. I don't think organic food should have a little red velvet rope around it.
In my defense, I was left unsupervised.

George K
Member Avatar
Finally
Okay, excuse my ignorance.

What does "organic" really mean - what gives a food that badge?
A guide to GKSR: Click

"Now look here, you Baltic gas passer... "
- Mik, 6/14/08

Nothing is as effective as homeopathy.

I'd rather listen to an hour of Abba than an hour of The Beatles.
- Klaus, 4/29/18

Jolly
Member Avatar
Geaux Tigers!
jon-nyc
Mar 13 2018, 02:36 PM
There's an interesting debate about organic foods. I mean, besides the one about whether it really means anything important.

Among those who are into 'organic' there's a debate about how good it is when large scale producers try to go 'organic'. Some think its a great thing so that it can become more of a mass phenomenon. Others think that's somehow taints it and are really caught up in the romanticism of the small farmer. I tend to side with the former group. I don't think organic food should have a little red velvet rope around it.
Do a bit of reading on what you can do to a crop and still be labeled organic.

Besides, you bite into a tomato, and you can't tell if it's been hit with malathion, sevin or any other form of common insecticide. You chew on an ear of corn and you can't tell if it's been sprayed down with POST. And chew on a mouthful of green beans, and I defy you to tell me Treflan was used as a pre-emerg.

If somebody is truly trying to go wholly organic, they better hope they make a lot more money on their product. Even the best organic guys are down 20% in yield vs. conventional. And it requires a butt-load more labor. In a razor thin margin biz like farming, where two bad years mean bankruptcy, you better make the most money you can, while you can.

Which is why most small farms operate at a loss or go belly-up, unless there is outside income. The bank will not let you pay your note with a romantic vista...

Larry
Member Avatar
Mmmmmmm, pie!
I don't grow food crops, heck, I don't even know that much about the crops I do grow... but this "organic" stuff is bull sh!t.

Of the Pokatwat Tribe

Steve Miller
Member Avatar
Bull-Carp
George K
Mar 13 2018, 02:46 PM
Okay, excuse my ignorance.

What does "organic" really mean - what gives a food that badge?
Read ďOmnivores DilemmaĒ. Even my farmer friends like it.

Everything you need to know about Organic.
Wag more
Bark less

Klaus
Member Avatar
HOLY CARP!!!
Eating organic food is selfish. The number of people you can feed with a square mile of land is much lower for organic food. You couldn't feed 8 billion people that way.
Trifonov Fleisher Klaus Sokolov Zimmerman

Steve Miller
Member Avatar
Bull-Carp
Klaus
Mar 14 2018, 12:03 AM
Eating organic food is selfish. The number of people you can feed with a square mile of land is much lower for organic food. You couldn't feed 8 billion people that way.
Not strictly true.

Organic farming has issues as far as far as damage to the soil, and itís relatively expensive. But it very nearly as efficient as traditional farming. Again, I recommend the book.. of
Wag more
Bark less

Klaus
Member Avatar
HOLY CARP!!!
Steve Miller
Mar 14 2018, 12:20 AM
Klaus
Not strictly true.

Organic farming has issues as far as far as damage to the soil, and itís relatively expensive. But it very nearly as efficient as traditional farming. Again, I recommend the book.. of
It is strictly true, as has been shown in numerous studies.
Trifonov Fleisher Klaus Sokolov Zimmerman

Aqua Letifer
Member Avatar
ZOOOOOM!
Klaus
Mar 14 2018, 12:26 AM
Steve Miller
Mar 14 2018, 12:20 AM
Klaus
Not strictly true.

It is strictly true, as has been shown in numerous studies.
By that logic, growing anything at all without maximum yield is selfish. Farming anything without the exprss purpose of feeding as many people as possible with your product is selfish. Which isnít true.
I cite irreconcilable differences.

Davis
Member Avatar
Fulla-Carp
if eating organic means you donít eat junk fund, youíve won, otherwise you wasted your money.

Jolly
Member Avatar
Geaux Tigers!
Don't worry, first time the economy tanks, half the organic guys will be out of business.

Larry
Member Avatar
Mmmmmmm, pie!
https://www.acsh.org/news/2015/09/29/20-reasons-not-to-feed-your-family-organic
Of the Pokatwat Tribe

Aqua Letifer
Member Avatar
ZOOOOOM!
How old do you all think commercial organic farming is in America, and why do you think itís supported in the farming community?

George K
Member Avatar
Finally
Aqua Letifer
Mar 14 2018, 05:05 AM
why do you think itís supported in the farming community?
I dunno.

Maybe because it makes more money for farmers?

Really, I don't know, but I'd guess that my speculation is spot-on.
A guide to GKSR: Click

"Now look here, you Baltic gas passer... "
- Mik, 6/14/08

Nothing is as effective as homeopathy.

I'd rather listen to an hour of Abba than an hour of The Beatles.
- Klaus, 4/29/18

Jolly
Member Avatar
Geaux Tigers!
Aqua Letifer
How old do you all think commercial organic farming is in America, and why do you think itís supported in the farming community?
Before the internal combustion engine and chemicals, I'd say most farming was organic.

I don't know about "supported", but I figure I'm fixin' to find out...

Aqua Letifer
Member Avatar
ZOOOOOM!
Jolly
Mar 14 2018, 05:08 AM
Aqua Letifer
Before the internal combustion engine and chemicals, I'd say most farming was organic.

I don't know about "supported", but I figure I'm fixin' to find out...
A lot of it started in the 40s. And it wasnít a hipstery, health-nut kind of venture, it was commercial farmers looking for a better, cheaper, more robust way to get more yield at a better quality. So yeah, first sign of market trouble, the gimmicky crap will fall by the wayside. But organic farming has been around generations prior to today for a reason. Itís not a lefty idea the right should sneer at simply because they think itís a lefty idea, itís got nothing to do with that.

Aqua Letifer
Member Avatar
ZOOOOOM!
George K
Mar 14 2018, 05:08 AM
Aqua Letifer
why do you think itís supported in the farming community?
I dunno.

Maybe because it makes more money for farmers?

Really, I don't know, but I'd guess that my speculation is spot-on.
It does make more money for farmers. But for decades prior to now, itís not been because of the marketing.

Larry
Member Avatar
Mmmmmmm, pie!
According to the research, the natural chemicals used as pesticides by "organic" farming is more toxic than the synthetic pesticides used by other farmers. It also requires more land to produce an equivalent yield, which scientists say releases more CO2 into the atmosphere than regular farming. Also, according to the science, "organic" food has no more nutritional value than the other, no more flavor, and I hate to break it to you, but it does not make farmers more money.
Of the Pokatwat Tribe

Go to Next Page
« Previous Topic · The New Coffee Room · Next Topic »
Add Reply
  • Pages: