Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]
Welcome to The New Coffee Room. We hope you enjoy your visit.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use. If you join our community, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customizing your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free.

Join our community!

If you're already a member please log in to your account to access all of our features:

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
Gee, I'm heartbroken...
Topic Started: Mar 13 2018, 07:37 AM (245 Views)
Jolly
Member Avatar
Geaux Tigers!
:weeping: :weeping: Dick's stock tumbles... :devilgrin: :devilgrin:

https://www.cnbc.com/2018/03/13/dicks-sporting-goods-earnings-q4-2017.html
The main obstacle to a stable and just world order is the United States.- George Soros
Online Profile Quote Post Goto Top

xenon
Member Avatar
Senior Carp
How many guns can people keep buying? Whatís the upgrade impetus?

Do people need the 2018 AR-15 Pixel Plus X?

Jolly
Member Avatar
Geaux Tigers!
xenon
Mar 13 2018, 10:26 AM

Well, my buddy that died last year had around 60.

I'm not there. Yet.
The main obstacle to a stable and just world order is the United States.- George Soros

xenon
Member Avatar
Senior Carp
Wow! I doubt I own 60 of anything - including individual pieces of clothing. Maybe if I include underwear and socks.

But that must be a small portion of the base (could be a large portion of sales though)

Jolly
Member Avatar
Geaux Tigers!
xenon
Mar 13 2018, 10:48 AM
Wow! I doubt I own 60 of anything - including individual pieces of clothing. Maybe if I include underwear and socks.

But that must be a small portion of the base (could be a large portion of sales though)
Most people I know down here, are hunters. At minimum, those folks will have a .22 rifle, a deer rifle and a shotgun. Most will own a handgun.

At four per person, it doesn't take long for there to be several in one household.

Take my wife as an example...Two shotguns, one .22 rifle, two 30-06 deer rifles, two .38 revolvers and a dreaded, deadly, wicked AR-15.

Aqua Letifer
Member Avatar
ZOOOOOM!
xenon
Mar 13 2018, 10:48 AM

Donít own more than sixty books?

Anyway, buddy of mine has well over 100. (And about twice as many knives.) But, Marine.
I cite irreconcilable differences.
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

jon-nyc
Member Avatar
Cheers
xenon

The article is not about the gun issue from last month. Itís about 4th quarter sales.
In my defense, I was left unsupervised.

Jolly
Member Avatar
Geaux Tigers!
jon-nyc
Mar 13 2018, 11:48 AM
xenon

The article is not about the gun issue from last month. Itís about 4th quarter sales.
And Dick's gun sales are a very small part of their bottom line.

But, if any way, I or any other of the shooting fraternity can help bury them in a financial grave...Would somebody puh-leez hand me a shovel!

Posted Image

John Galt
Fulla-Carp
Quote:

Gee, I'm heartbroken...

They're in good company.

Quote:

The stock of American Outdoor Brands (AOBC), the owner of Smith & Wesson, tumbled 25% in February and is trading at its lowest level in almost five years. Sturm Ruger (RGR) fell 19% to a three-year low. Vista Outdoor (VSTO), which makes guns and ammunition, is down 12% since the school shooting two weeks ago.

Sturm Ruger's sales fell 22% last year. Remington, one of the country's oldest gunmakers, is planning to file for bankruptcy.

Now the companies have a different problem: The gun industry is seen as toxic after the shooting in Florida. BlackRock, the investment company, says it is working with customers who want to keep gun companies out of their portfolios.

And some investors see "an opportunity to go after a wounded target," Rafn said.

http://money.cnn.com/2018/03/01/news/gun-stocks/index.html

Let us begin anew, remembering on both sides that civility is not a sign of weakness.

Jolly
Member Avatar
Geaux Tigers!
John Galt
Mar 13 2018, 12:58 PM
Quote:

Gee, I'm heartbroken...

They're in good company.

Quote:

The stock of American Outdoor Brands (AOBC), the owner of Smith & Wesson, tumbled 25% in February and is trading at its lowest level in almost five years. Sturm Ruger (RGR) fell 19% to a three-year low. Vista Outdoor (VSTO), which makes guns and ammunition, is down 12% since the school shooting two weeks ago.

Sturm Ruger's sales fell 22% last year. Remington, one of the country's oldest gunmakers, is planning to file for bankruptcy.

Now the companies have a different problem: The gun industry is seen as toxic after the shooting in Florida. BlackRock, the investment company, says it is working with customers who want to keep gun companies out of their portfolios.

And some investors see "an opportunity to go after a wounded target," Rafn said.

http://money.cnn.com/2018/03/01/news/gun-stocks/index.html

Gun company stock was destined to fall. Ruger had to go to three shifts when Bamby Boy was in office, as they could not keep up with demand. Smith was also very busy, after recovering from their deal with the Devil a few years ago. And they lost a government contract to Sig in the last six months.

Remington has some horrible internal problems. They, along with Marlin, have suffered from a huge lack of QC and just plain bad new product.

Anybody familiar with firearms knows this.

Jolly
Member Avatar
Geaux Tigers!
And while you are researching, a couple of tidbits...After Parkland, some news outlets say there was no sales spike.

BS.

There was a lot of product on the shelves, particularly AR's, as demand had slowed in the Fourth Quarter. The day after, most online retailers simply could not take and fulfill orders in a timely manner.

Another interesting aspect of all this, is the manufacture of Ghost Guns has exploded. Literally, untraceable. By anybody. I talked to a guy who was casting lowers the other day and people were literally knocking his door down, wanting them.

I've kinda been wanting a PTR-91. You may have inspired me...

Larry
Member Avatar
Mmmmmmm, pie!
Gun stocks are falling because Obama is no longer in the White House threatening to stomp on our second amendment rights. Go back and look to see how much their stock had increased in value during the last 4 years he was in office, destroying the nation and the democrat party.

Of the Pokatwat Tribe

Jolly
Member Avatar
Geaux Tigers!
https://www.marketwatch.com/investing/stock/rgr

Look at the "all" setting on the chart...

xenon
Member Avatar
Senior Carp
Aqua Letifer
Mar 13 2018, 11:44 AM
Donít own more than sixty books?
Hmm.. not physical ones.

My whole minimalism thing doesnít work that well though, my wife more than makes up for me.

jon-nyc
Member Avatar
Cheers
My son owns more than 60 books. But he doesnít have a kindle yet.
In my defense, I was left unsupervised.

Jolly
Member Avatar
Geaux Tigers!
jon-nyc
Mar 13 2018, 04:56 PM
Just glancing around, I'm guessing six or seven hundred.

Electronic? Maybe a couple of hundred.

In the last couple of years, we've tried to declutter a bit. I've probably hauled three or four hundred to the library.

I like books.

Copper
Member Avatar
Shortstop

Amazon Prime members read free over a thousand books.
The Confederate soldier was peculiar in that he was ever ready to fight, but never ready to submit to the routine duty and discipline of the camp or the march. The soldiers were determined to be soldiers after their own notions, and do their duty, for the love of it, as they thought best. Carlton McCarthy

kluurs
Member Avatar
Fulla-Carp
It is amazing the number of books that are available at free or nearly free.

Aqua Letifer
Member Avatar
ZOOOOOM!
Jolly
Mar 13 2018, 05:33 PM
jon-nyc
Mar 13 2018, 04:56 PM
Just glancing around, I'm guessing six or seven hundred.

Electronic? Maybe a couple of hundred.

In the last couple of years, we've tried to declutter a bit. I've probably hauled three or four hundred to the library.

I like books.
About my number.

My thing is Iím impatient. I download most books to my Kindle because I want to start reading it immediately. But then when Iím done I delete the digital and get a hard copy. Because no DRM on ink and paper.
I cite irreconcilable differences.

Klaus
Member Avatar
HOLY CARP!!!
I used to like books, but after moving for the n-th time I also see the costs of owning them.

At our (n-2)-th move I disposed a couple of hundred books, and if I buy something these days I try to buy e-books, even if they cost more.
Trifonov Fleisher Klaus Sokolov Zimmerman

Copper
Member Avatar
Shortstop

Yes, we are preparing for a move and I have dumped a couple hundred paper books over the last year. I finally decided that college textbooks from 40+ years ago can go in the trash.

The Confederate soldier was peculiar in that he was ever ready to fight, but never ready to submit to the routine duty and discipline of the camp or the march. The soldiers were determined to be soldiers after their own notions, and do their duty, for the love of it, as they thought best. Carlton McCarthy

Improviso
Member Avatar
HOLY CARP!!!
Copper
Mar 14 2018, 07:17 AM
Yes, we are preparing for a move...
Have you made a decision on where?
Identifying narcissists isn't difficult. Just look for the person who is constantly fishing for compliments
and admiration while breaking down over even the slightest bit of criticism.

We have the freedom to choose our actions, but we do not get to choose our consequences.

Copper
Member Avatar
Shortstop

No, roughly south and east of Richmond, north of Kitty Hawk, maybe within a 1-hour radius of Newport News. I think we are 10-12 months away from a decision.

But over the last couple months I have painted ceilings, walls, trim and windows in 3.5 bedrooms. The process is underway.

ZetaBoards - Free Forum Hosting
Join the millions that use us for their forum communities. Create your own forum today.
Learn More · Register for Free
« Previous Topic · The New Coffee Room · Next Topic »
Add Reply