Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]
Welcome to The New Coffee Room. We hope you enjoy your visit.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use. If you join our community, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customizing your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free.

Join our community!

If you're already a member please log in to your account to access all of our features:

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
  • Pages:
Tillerson fired.
Topic Started: Mar 13 2018, 05:01 AM (392 Views)
Jolly
Member Avatar
Geaux Tigers!
Developing....
The main obstacle to a stable and just world order is the United States.- George Soros
Online Profile Quote Post Goto Top

Axtremus
Member Avatar
HOLY CARP!!!
https://www.politico.com/story/2018/03/13/trump-says-tillerson-out-as-secretary-of-state-458353
Quote:

President Donald Trump said Tuesday he is replacing Rex Tillerson as secretary of state, nominating CIA Director Mike Pompeo in his place.

"Mike Pompeo, Director of the CIA, will become our new Secretary of State. He will do a fantastic job!" Trump tweeted Tuesday. "Thank you to Rex Tillerson for his service! Gina Haspel will become the new Director of the CIA, and the first woman so chosen. Congratulations to all!

Pompeo's favored status in the West Wing for months led administration officials to view him as Tillerson's likely replacement. Haspel, who Trump said would replace Pompeo, became deputy director of the CIA last year.

Klaus
Member Avatar
HOLY CARP!!!
Is this good? Is this bad?

I can't think myself so please tell me what to think about this!
Trifonov Fleisher Klaus Sokolov Zimmerman
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

Mikhailoh
Member Avatar
If you want trouble, find yourself a redhead
I think there have been tensions for some time, I also think it is a shame. Tillerson's a savvy operator.
Once in his life, every man is entitled to fall madly in love with a gorgeous redhead - Lucille Ball

George K
Member Avatar
Finally
FFS:

Quote:

Secretary of State Rex Tillerson did not speak to President Trump before his firting and is "unaware" of the reason behind his dismissal, according to a statement from Tillerson's top deputy.

The statement from Under Secretary of State Steve Goldstein strongly suggests Tillerson found out about his firing from Twitter.

"The Secretary did not speak to the President this morning and is unaware of the reason, but he is grateful for the opportunity to serve, and still believes strongly that public service is a noble calling and not to be regretted," Goldstein said in a statement.

Goldstein also said that Tillerson had "every intention of staying" before his firing.

"He established and enjoyed relationships with his counterparts. He will miss his colleagues at the Department of State and enjoyed working together with the Department of Defense in an uncommonly robust relationship," he said.
Might I suggest that calling your boss a "moron" might be bad for long-term job security?
Edited by George K, Mar 13 2018, 06:23 AM.
A guide to GKSR: Click

"Now look here, you Baltic gas passer... "
- Mik, 6/14/08

Nothing is as effective as homeopathy.

I'd rather listen to an hour of Abba than an hour of The Beatles.
- Klaus, 4/29/18

Klaus
Member Avatar
HOLY CARP!!!
It's rather unprofessional to fire people via Twitter or the news, in my opinion. If you want to fire somebody, fine, but at least have the balls and decency to tell them before making it public.

John Galt
Fulla-Carp
George K
Mar 13 2018, 06:23 AM
FFS:

Quote:

Secretary of State Rex Tillerson did not speak to President Trump before his firting and is "unaware" of the reason behind his dismissal, according to a statement from Tillerson's top deputy.

The statement from Under Secretary of State Steve Goldstein strongly suggests Tillerson found out about his firing from Twitter.

"The Secretary did not speak to the President this morning and is unaware of the reason, but he is grateful for the opportunity to serve, and still believes strongly that public service is a noble calling and not to be regretted," Goldstein said in a statement.

Goldstein also said that Tillerson had "every intention of staying" before his firing.

"He established and enjoyed relationships with his counterparts. He will miss his colleagues at the Department of State and enjoyed working together with the Department of Defense in an uncommonly robust relationship," he said.
Might I suggest that calling your boss a "moron" might be bad for long-term job security?
I thought that was fake news from anonymous sources that shouldn't be taken seriously.

Has something changed?
Let us begin anew, remembering on both sides that civility is not a sign of weakness.

Jolly
Member Avatar
Geaux Tigers!
John Galt
Mar 13 2018, 07:03 AM
George K
Mar 13 2018, 06:23 AM
FFS:

Quote:

I thought that was fake news from anonymous sources that shouldn't be taken seriously.

Has something changed?
No.
The main obstacle to a stable and just world order is the United States.- George Soros

George K
Member Avatar
Finally
John Galt

Has something changed?
AFAICT, the only person claiming it was "fake news" was Xenon.

- Mik, 6/14/08

- Klaus, 4/29/18

Jolly
Member Avatar
Geaux Tigers!
Klaus
Mar 13 2018, 06:42 AM
It's rather unprofessional to fire people via Twitter or the news, in my opinion. If you want to fire somebody, fine, but at least have the balls and decency to tell them before making it public.
I agree with your opinion.

One of Trump's biggest flaws.

George K
Member Avatar
Finally
One report says that Trump asked for Tillerson's resignation on Friday.

He *did*, in fact, ask that Tillerson cut short his overseas trip and return to DC on Friday.

From the WSJ:
Quote:

On Friday, White House officials called Mr. Tillerson to order him to come back home from a trip to Africa. Mr. Tillerson returned to the U.S. early Tuesday, a day earlier than scheduled, and didnít learn he was terminated until an aide showed him Mr. Trumpís Tuesday tweet, according to a State Department official.

Mr. Tillerson wasnít told why he was being removed from the post, the official said.

ďThe secretary did not speak to the president this morning and is unaware of the reason,Ē said Steve Goldstein, an agency spokesman. ďBut he is grateful for the opportunity to serve, and still believes strongly that public service is a noble calling and not to be regretted.Ē

Mr. Trump called Mr. Pompeo over the weekend and is believed to have offered him the job in that call, a U.S. official said.

- Mik, 6/14/08

- Klaus, 4/29/18

jon-nyc
Member Avatar
Cheers
Klaus
Mar 13 2018, 05:25 AM

Iím just glad he didnít choose Sergei Lavrov for the replacement.
In my defense, I was left unsupervised.

John Galt
Fulla-Carp
George K
Mar 13 2018, 08:00 AM
John Galt

Has something changed?
Yea, I was thinking more broadly that some folks are grousing about anonymous sources and who have nothing but disparaging remarks about the media in general. Like this bit from Davis in the Optics thread:

Quote:

One week itís Trumps physical health, next it is his mental health. Chaos is the repeat charge this week. Tillerson, sessions and Mueller were early favorites to go, amazingly they are all still there after being breaking news stories.

Hey Davis, think Sessions might be getting a little nervous since Trump said today he's "close to having the cabinet I want"?

Meanwhile, in the Fake News WaPo:

Quote:

After Kelly told him he was being let go, Tillerson asked that Trump hold off on announcing the news until he had returned to the United States, and Kelly agreed, one White House official said. Tillersonís firing was first reported Tuesday morning by The Washington Post and minutes later in a tweet by Trump.

Might not want to dismiss those media sources too quickly...
Edited by John Galt, Mar 13 2018, 09:46 AM.
Let us begin anew, remembering on both sides that civility is not a sign of weakness.

Klaus
Member Avatar
HOLY CARP!!!
jon-nyc
Mar 13 2018, 09:13 AM
Klaus
Mar 13 2018, 05:25 AM

Iím just glad he didnít choose Sergei Lavrov for the replacement.
You know what? That wouldn't even shock me anymore.

But I think this guy would have been a better alternative.

Posted Image

xenon
Member Avatar
Senior Carp
Classy exit. Just watched his outgoing conference.

Jolly
Member Avatar
Geaux Tigers!
John Galt
Mar 13 2018, 09:44 AM
George K
Mar 13 2018, 08:00 AM
John Galt

Has something changed?
Yea, I was thinking more broadly that some folks are grousing about anonymous sources and who have nothing but disparaging remarks about the media in general. Like this bit from Davis in the Optics thread:

Quote:

One week itís Trumps physical health, next it is his mental health. Chaos is the repeat charge this week. Tillerson, sessions and Mueller were early favorites to go, amazingly they are all still there after being breaking news stories.

Hey Davis, think Sessions might be getting a little nervous since Trump said today he's "close to having the cabinet I want"?

Meanwhile, in the Fake News WaPo:

Quote:

After Kelly told him he was being let go, Tillerson asked that Trump hold off on announcing the news until he had returned to the United States, and Kelly agreed, one White House official said. Tillersonís firing was first reported Tuesday morning by The Washington Post and minutes later in a tweet by Trump.

Might not want to dismiss those media sources too quickly...
In regards to Trump, most of the MSM went in the tank before he was elected. And were shocked when the Anointed One fell on her face (which apparently is an ongoing problem).

It's probably going to be even more fun watching their collective heads explode if he wins re-election in 2020. Especially if the Blue Wave turns into the Blue Ripple.

In my lifetime, even at the height of Watergate or Cousin Bill's Most Excellent Randy Adventure, I have never seen so many slings and arrows from the Fourth Estate.

Axtremus
Member Avatar
HOLY CARP!!!
Jolly
Mar 13 2018, 10:52 AM
In my lifetime, even at the height of Watergate or Cousin Bill's Most Excellent Randy Adventure, I have never seen so many slings and arrows from the Fourth Estate.
Perhaps that's simply because there hasn't been any one so deserving until now. :silly:

Next up ... Attorney General Jeff Sessions and Chief of Staff John Kelly, how much longer will they keep their current jobs, and who will replace them?

John Galt
Fulla-Carp
Yea, all of those left wing publications with their dire predictions are just awful, aren't they?

MainerMikeBrown
Senior Carp
President Trump goes through more help than you can shake a stick at.

taiwan_girl
Member Avatar
Fulla-Carp
I don't think that Secretary Tillerson was that good in foreign policy, so maybe it was not a bad thing that he is leaving.

However, it seems that he and President Trump had some very big disagreements on policy. I would think that President Trump would have asked questions like that during the interview for the job. "I believe that this is the way we should handle Iran/Paris treaty/DPRK, etc. Do you agree?"

Jolly
Member Avatar
Geaux Tigers!
John Galt
Mar 13 2018, 11:31 AM
Maybe. Maybe not.

Tillerson's replacement appears to be competent.

George K
Member Avatar
Finally
Posted Image

- Mik, 6/14/08

- Klaus, 4/29/18

Riley
Member Avatar
HOLY CARP!!!
Rex, eat the salad.

https://www.google.ca/amp/s/www.wsj.com/amp/articles/rex-eat-the-saladinside-the-awkward-relationship-between-rex-tillerson-and-donald-trump-1520961762

jon-nyc
Member Avatar
Cheers
It's behind a paywall.
In my defense, I was left unsupervised.

Riley
Member Avatar
HOLY CARP!!!
jon-nyc
Mar 13 2018, 04:16 PM