Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]
Welcome to The New Coffee Room. We hope you enjoy your visit.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use. If you join our community, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customizing your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free.

Join our community!

If you're already a member please log in to your account to access all of our features:

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
Cheap Cell
Topic Started: Mar 13 2018, 04:53 AM (104 Views)
George K
Member Avatar
Finally
I've been an AT&T customer since the days when you could pick your own cellphone number. From what I can gather, it's pretty much a tossup as far as AT&T and Verizon go.

What about other carriers? Sprint? T-Mobile? I've heard that Sprint is "meh" on coverage.

What about cheapo carriers like Tracfone and its ilk?

Any experience?
A guide to GKSR: Click

"Now look here, you Baltic gas passer... "
- Mik, 6/14/08

Nothing is as effective as homeopathy.

I'd rather listen to an hour of Abba than an hour of The Beatles.
- Klaus, 4/29/18
Online Profile Quote Post Goto Top

Jolly
Member Avatar
Geaux Tigers!
1. Cricket. Cricket is the cheap side of AT&T. Same towers.

2. Straight Talk. It's offered through Walmart. Serviced by Trac-phone. Could be AT&T or Verizon towers, depending on location.

Neither are going to have an abundance of customer service. I carry the Straight Talk. With tax and fees, a bump over $50/month, unlimited.

Don't know how much coverage you need, but Sprint has been running four lines for $100.
The main obstacle to a stable and just world order is the United States.- George Soros

Larry
Member Avatar
Mmmmmmm, pie!
I've had Straight Talk for years. Whether you'll be on ATT towers or Verizon towers depends on which phone you select. If you have an unlocked phone and just need a SIM card, you can buy a SIM card for either one.

I have to have Verizon, because ATT coverage here sucks. Even with Verizon service gets sketchy in places, and if I'm at home I lose service about halfway up the driveway.

Both of us have the unlimited plan, which I pay for a year at a time to get a discount. As for customer service, I've had two phones that broke, both times I simply called them, they sent a return authorization and a box, I sent the broken phone back, they sent a new phone, no charge, no questions, the only inconvenience was the time it took for them to get the old phone and the new one to arrive, about 7 days or so.
Of the Pokatwat Tribe

Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

Aqua Letifer
Member Avatar
ZOOOOOM!
George K
Mar 13 2018, 04:53 AM
I've been an AT&T customer since the days when you could pick your own cellphone number. From what I can gather, it's pretty much a tossup as far as AT&T and Verizon go.

What about other carriers? Sprint? T-Mobile? I've heard that Sprint is "meh" on coverage.

What about cheapo carriers like Tracfone and its ilk?

Any experience?
Sprint is very "meh" on coverage.

T-Mobile sucks outside of cities in my experience. They have good plans, but the coverage is total crap in my opinion.
I cite irreconcilable differences.

George K
Member Avatar
Finally
Sprint and T-Mobile don't rely on anyone else's towers, right?

I thought of going with X-finity mobile, but they are all Verizon phones, and you can't bring your own ATT phone.

- Mik, 6/14/08

- Klaus, 4/29/18

Aqua Letifer
Member Avatar
ZOOOOOM!
George K
Mar 13 2018, 09:01 AM
Sprint and T-Mobile don't rely on anyone else's towers, right?

I thought of going with X-finity mobile, but they are all Verizon phones, and you can't bring your own ATT phone.
In my opinion, what you're paying for with Verizon is the network; slightly more expensive, but if you live out in the sticks and still want your smartphone working, it's the best way to go.

Sprint and T-Mobile are cheaper, but crappier network. (Yes, I believe they don't do much tower sharing.) So, if you live in the coverage area, you can save some money. Just don't make any trips out to Sedona.

I have AT&T and they seem to be kind of in the middle, but with Verizon's prices. In other words, I'm looking to switch as well.
I cite irreconcilable differences.

jon-nyc
Member Avatar
Cheers
I did the AT&T flavor of straighttalk for a while. It cut my phone bill in half at the time. I think their international roaming sucked but that was when I was really sick so I didnít care. The only feature that didnít work was visual voicemail.

In my defense, I was left unsupervised.

George K
Member Avatar
Finally
Is there a shared data plan with Straighttalk or the others? I can't seem to find it on their websites.

Nope.
Edited by George K, Mar 13 2018, 09:21 AM.

- Mik, 6/14/08

- Klaus, 4/29/18

Jolly
Member Avatar
Geaux Tigers!
George K
Mar 13 2018, 09:17 AM
Is there a shared data plan with Straighttalk or the others? I can't seem to find it on their websites.

Nope.
Not for Straight Talk.
The main obstacle to a stable and just world order is the United States.- George Soros

Larry
Member Avatar
Mmmmmmm, pie!
What does it matter if a phone provider is sharing towers?

Of the Pokatwat Tribe

MainerMikeBrown
Senior Carp
I've had a TracFone cell phone for almost ten years. I've been happy with it, although I live in the mountains, and therefore I can't get reception where I live.

But it's nice to have in case something goes wrong, such as my car breaking down, in which I can call a tow truck to get me, as long as I'm in range when the car breaks down.

I only pay $19.99 once every three months. So it's worth it for me.

« Previous Topic · The New Coffee Room · Next Topic »
Add Reply