Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]
Welcome to The New Coffee Room. We hope you enjoy your visit.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use. If you join our community, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customizing your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free.

Join our community!

If you're already a member please log in to your account to access all of our features:

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
The Rest of the Story
Topic Started: Mar 11 2018, 08:24 AM (227 Views)
Catseye3
Member Avatar
Fulla-Carp
A concerned neighbor called Social Services, and presently two social workers showed up and tried to talk me into accompanying them to the ER. I promised I would as soon as I felt more able. They went away, but apparently decided not to take my word for that, and two nights later a Sheriff’s Deputy showed up with an “Emergency Custody Order” signed by a judge, authorizing him to shanghai me to the hospital on grounds I was incompetent.
I howled and screamed and cried . . . never have I ever wanted less to do something in my life. I was way too sick. He was very nice, but unmovable. I played my ace; argued I couldn’t make it to his car; this didn’t work either. Once outside, he wrapped his left arm around my back and gripped my left hand with his left hand, and had me grip his right shoulder with my right hand, and with him more or less supporting me, together we shuffled slowly forward like two old people in a blizzard. At the car he did something in the back seat while I sprawled over his car hood like a dead deer. (At this point I was a lot sicker than I realized.) He helped me into the car, and off we went.
Pretty soon I was in the ER, and pretty soon after that, bundled in heated blankets, I was wheeled up to the ward, where I was plied with fluids and potassium. Nursely shoulder pats: Pat-pat. “How are you feeling, dear? Better?”
“Buh.”
“Your potassium was very low! We’re going to take a little blood now, okay?”
“Buh.”
Imagine the consternation when I showed back up a week later with even worse numbers. Healthy potassium range is 3.5-5.0; my first visit I was at 2.8, second visit 2.SIX. That’s when the medicos got busy figuring out why this lady was losing her electrolytes so fast, and an alert doc isolated the gastro.
So back home to recupe. It is going excrutiatingly slowly. It’s taken days for me to write this much. But I’m eating more and mostly keeping it down. Still mostly sleeping.

Study up on this. Don't let it get on you -- it is an absolute misery.

I miss y'all; looking forward to catching up on all your stories – especially Horace’s unless you druther not. In which case, walk in beauty, my friend, and I’ll bide until you’re ready to talk about it.
Gotta go. See you soon, I hope. :heart:

Edited by Catseye3, Mar 11 2018, 11:20 AM.
"If you can't be a good example, then you'll just have to serve as a horrible warning." -- Catherine Aird
Online Profile Quote Post Goto Top

Davis
Member Avatar
Fulla-Carp
Wow. Thank you for the strength in so many ways for sharing. I hope this episode becomes a distant story sooner rather than later.
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

Copper
Member Avatar
Shortstop

Scary story, it sounds like you are improving. Keep up the good work.
The Confederate soldier was peculiar in that he was ever ready to fight, but never ready to submit to the routine duty and discipline of the camp or the march. The soldiers were determined to be soldiers after their own notions, and do their duty, for the love of it, as they thought best. Carlton McCarthy

brenda
Member Avatar
Cats, I suspect the imbalance and depleted potassium and other things had made it seem impossible to get to the doctor. Yeah, I understand that feeling of being so sick you can't fathom even making it to the doctor. I'm grateful for your neighbor who had the courage to intercede on your behalf. It's no fun going to the hospital or ER, but I'm so glad you did.

You're making progress now, which is great news. We're here to cheer you onward, and entertain you along the way.

Post when you can, even if just a quick hello. Even a sarcastic emoji for the bad jokes will be appreciated and deserved. :lol:

:hug:
Edited by brenda, Mar 11 2018, 09:50 AM.
“Weeds are flowers, too, once you get to know them.”
~A.A. Milne

Rainman
Member Avatar
Fulla-Carp
Wow, Cats. Just WOW!

You must have been so very sick, and of course, you still are.

Hang in there, hopefully feeling better will start soon.

Friday
Senior Carp
:hug:

Miss you too Cats.

Focus on your health.

We'll be here when you come back.

Jolly
Member Avatar
Geaux Tigers!
Take care of yourself and watch those K levels.

Hearts do funny things when potassium levels get wonky...
The main obstacle to a stable and just world order is the United States.- George Soros

Mikhailoh
Member Avatar
If you want trouble, find yourself a redhead
Do take good care of yourself. This is no laughing matter.
Once in his life, every man is entitled to fall madly in love with a gorgeous redhead - Lucille Ball

George K
Member Avatar
Finally
Mikhailoh
Mar 11 2018, 12:12 PM
Do take good care of yourself. This is no laughing matter.
:uparrow:

This.

Take care and when you're up to it, keep us posted. Thanks for the update.
A guide to GKSR: Click

"Now look here, you Baltic gas passer... "
- Mik, 6/14/08

Nothing is as effective as homeopathy.

I'd rather listen to an hour of Abba than an hour of The Beatles.
- Klaus, 4/29/18

Catseye3
Member Avatar
Fulla-Carp
Thank you all once again for your good wishes. They mean so much.
"If you can't be a good example, then you'll just have to serve as a horrible warning." -- Catherine Aird

sue
Member Avatar
HOLY CARP!!!
Dear cats! :hug: :hug:

That all sounds absolutely frightening, like something out of a movie - not something that happens to people in real life :sad:
good to hear that you are feeling better, even if very slowly.
Thanks for dropping in and giving us an update.

And here I was, feeling ever so sorry for myself because of this stupid snivelly cold/cough that I can't seem to shake....I've given myself a good slap upside the head. I got nothin', compared to your situation.

Take good care. We need you back :wave:

Axtremus
Member Avatar
HOLY CARP!!!
Cannot imagine what you’re going through or how you feel.
I wish you the best and hope you get better soon.

Catseye3
Member Avatar
Fulla-Carp
That all sounds absolutely frightening, like something out of a movie - not something that happens to people in real life.
-----------------------
That's exactly how it's been, Sue -- many shocks and alarums and bewilderments.

This whole business has changed me, that's for sure.

Speaking of sickness . . . you seem vulnerable to your bug. I recall your mentioning having the same thing at least twice in the past. Seasonal? Allergies? I hope you lick it soon.

Sick is sick, and it sucks.

Catseye3
Member Avatar
Fulla-Carp
Axtremus
Mar 12 2018, 05:38 PM
Cannot imagine what you’re going through or how you feel.
I wish you the best and hope you get better soon.
Thanks, Ax. :)

Aqua Letifer
Member Avatar
ZOOOOOM!
That sounds like one hell of an ordeal. :(

Hope you get back to your old self, Cats. Thanks for keeping us posted and please continue to do so. :wave:
I cite irreconcilable differences.

taiwan_girl
Member Avatar
Fulla-Carp
Boy, what everyone else said!! Sending good thoughts to you for a quick recovery!!

We miss you!!!!!!!!

« Previous Topic · The New Coffee Room · Next Topic »
Add Reply