Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]
Welcome to The New Coffee Room. We hope you enjoy your visit.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use. If you join our community, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customizing your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free.

Join our community!

If you're already a member please log in to your account to access all of our features:

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
Yeah, that ineffectual Trump...
Topic Started: Mar 8 2018, 05:01 PM (1,070 Views)
Copper
Member Avatar
Shortstop

Mr. Carter gets it right sometimes.

The Confederate soldier was peculiar in that he was ever ready to fight, but never ready to submit to the routine duty and discipline of the camp or the march. The soldiers were determined to be soldiers after their own notions, and do their duty, for the love of it, as they thought best. Carlton McCarthy
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

Jolly
Member Avatar
Geaux Tigers!
Well, so far in Texas, the Blue Wave is more like the Blue Ripple.
The main obstacle to a stable and just world order is the United States.- George Soros

taiwan_girl
Member Avatar
Fulla-Carp
Mikhailoh
Mar 11 2018, 05:32 AM
No, we don't. But it is more likely to accomplish something than not talking.
I agree. It is good that there is a meeting. For realistic, most of these types of meetings are so pre planned to make sure that nothing can go wrong (and often nothing gets accomplished. If it does, it was pre planned and decided before times.).

In a meeting like this, I believe that it is very important to stay on the "script", at least for the first meeting. If this opens things up for more talks, it is great. But, President Trump cannot start saying things in the meetings that could cause harm later.

I remember one thing I learned in a class I took on meetings/negotiations/diplomacy - always try and move the communication up one level.

If you can send a letter, try to send an email or text
If you can send an email/text, try to telephone and talk
If you can talk on telephone, try to meet in person.
Edited by taiwan_girl, Mar 13 2018, 12:31 PM.

Jolly
Member Avatar
Geaux Tigers!
taiwan_girl
Mar 13 2018, 12:28 PM
Mikhailoh
I agree. It is good that there is a meeting. For realistic, most of these types of meetings are so pre planned to make sure that nothing can go wrong (and often nothing gets accomplished. If it does, it was pre planned and decided before times.).

In a meeting like this, I believe that it is very important to stay on the "script", at least for the first meeting. If this opens things up for more talks, it is great. But, President Trump cannot start saying things in the meetings that could cause harm later.

I remember one thing I learned in a class I took on meetings/negotiations/diplomacy - always try and move the communication up one level.

For a couple of years, I went into a different line of work. I was definitely not the brightest crayon in the box, but I did ok.

Two things I did, that I think helped... I rarely sent an email or text to a client without at least offering to telephone. And I rarely telephoned, when I could meet them in person. Even millennials appreciate a human touch.
The main obstacle to a stable and just world order is the United States.- George Soros

taiwan_girl
Member Avatar
Fulla-Carp
Jolly
Mar 13 2018, 12:40 PM
taiwan_girl
Mar 13 2018, 12:28 PM
Mikhailoh

For a couple of years, I went into a different line of work. I was definitely not the brightest crayon in the box, but I did ok.

Two things I did, that I think helped... I rarely sent an email or text to a client without at least offering to telephone. And I rarely telephoned, when I could meet them in person. Even millennials appreciate a human touch.
:thumb: :hearts:

I agree!!!

Davis
Member Avatar
Senior Carp
of course no one mentions how many businesses have gone bye bye since Trump started.

Larry
Member Avatar
Mmmmmmm, pie!
In my little town there are job openings popping up all over the place.
Of the Pokatwat Tribe

Copper
Member Avatar
Shortstop
Davis
Mar 13 2018, 02:29 PM
of course no one mentions how many businesses have gone bye bye since Trump started.

The internet has caused a large number of retailers to file for bankruptcy.

I guess we can blame Al Gore.

The Confederate soldier was peculiar in that he was ever ready to fight, but never ready to submit to the routine duty and discipline of the camp or the march. The soldiers were determined to be soldiers after their own notions, and do their duty, for the love of it, as they thought best. Carlton McCarthy

Rainman
Member Avatar
Fulla-Carp
Copper
Mar 13 2018, 03:40 PM
Davis
Mar 13 2018, 02:29 PM

The internet has caused a large number of retailers to file for bankruptcy.

I guess we can blame Al Gore.

Thanks, Amazon!!

Copper
Member Avatar
Shortstop

Amazon put so many brick-and-mortar bookstores out of business.

Today's post had a story about how Amazon is building a brick-and-mortar bookstore downtown.

Klaus
Member Avatar
HOLY CARP!!!
https://nowthisnews.com/videos/politics/fox-news-different-reactions-regarding-negotiations-with-north-korea

Kind of reminds me of some posters in this esteemed community ;)
Trifonov Fleisher Klaus Sokolov Zimmerman

Davis
Member Avatar
Senior Carp
Klaus
Mar 17 2018, 11:44 AM
Yup. Two major tribes. With sub tribes. Give me an issue, let me check with the boss then Iíll tell you what my opinion is. Generally always been this way, what is new is that the main stream media is a party to one side.

Copper
Member Avatar
Shortstop

Some people see a difference between apologizing to madmen and stopping madmen.

Some people think there is no difference.

Klaus
Member Avatar
HOLY CARP!!!
But this is about meeting madmen, not apologizing or stopping.

Copper
Member Avatar
Shortstop
OK

Some people see a difference between meeting madmen in order to apologize and meeting madmen in order to stop madmen.

Some people think there is no difference.

Klaus
Member Avatar
HOLY CARP!!!
Obama said he wanted to apologize to North Korea??

Also, if you look at the Fox News snippets, this was only about whether it's a good or bad thing to meet him at all.

Davis
Member Avatar
Senior Carp
If the meeting happens, the thought is Trump will lay out terms that have been previously unacceptable to NK. Stop development, allow variable inspections and then we will talk about your security needs and money your people need to not starve to death. If Un doesnít blink, we are back to where we are now, possibly closer to military intervention. How risky is it really that we leave and bomb in short order?

The other alternatives believes sanctions are working and says let the same negotiations that have gone on for decades continue, but allows NK to continue testing.

To me the real question is what is the risk of letting NK fine tune and rollout the real ability to reliably hit the US.

What would the left wish for?

Larry
Member Avatar
Mmmmmmm, pie!
Klaus, that powerhouse of testosterone that is Obama got tough with Putin. He put on his serious face and told Putin.. "Cut it out."

Do you seriously think Obama, a "man" who went on a world tour for the express purpose of apologizing to anyone who would stand still for five seconds, would do anything else but to tell the little fat bastard in North Korea that it's America's fault and he's sorry?
Of the Pokatwat Tribe

Davis
Member Avatar
Senior Carp
Larry
Mar 17 2018, 02:39 PM
Klaus, that powerhouse of testosterone that is Obama got tough with Putin. He put on his serious face and told Putin.. "Cut it out."

Do you seriously think Obama, a "man" who went on a world tour for the express purpose of apologizing to anyone who would stand still for five seconds, would do anything else but to tell the little fat bastard in North Korea that it's America's fault and he's sorry?
I think one would argue that Obamaís apologetic approach was part of his doctrine and good strategy. Interestingly this same group wants us to get tough with Putin now and I have no idea what their position on China is. Foreign powers are not subtle anymore, not sure what the subtle argument is anymore except for avoidance of nuclear annihilation.

Klaus
Member Avatar
HOLY CARP!!!
Larry

You are deflecting from the main issue here, which is the double standard of Fox News and others on the right of condemning Obama's proposal to meet with NK - not because of what he'd do at the visit, but solely for the idea of talking to NK - while then celebrating Trump's announcement to do exactly the same thing like a braindead cheerleader.

Davis
Member Avatar
Senior Carp
Klaus
Mar 17 2018, 02:52 PM
Larry

You are deflecting from the main issue here, which is the double standard of Fox News and others on the right of condemning Obama's proposal to meet with NK - not because of what he'd do at the visit, but solely for the idea of talking to NK - while then celebrating Trump's announcement to do exactly the same thing like a braindead cheerleader.
Different times clearly. Itís as easy as that.

Copper
Member Avatar
Shortstop
Klaus

double standard of Fox News

No double standard.

I think Fox News has consistently supported the conservative view.

George K
Member Avatar
Finally
Posted Image
A guide to GKSR: Click

"Now look here, you Baltic gas passer... "
- Mik, 6/14/08

Nothing is as effective as homeopathy.

I'd rather listen to an hour of Abba than an hour of The Beatles.
- Klaus, 4/29/18

taiwan_girl
Member Avatar
Fulla-Carp
Davis
Mar 17 2018, 11:54 AM
Klaus
Mar 17 2018, 11:44 AM
Yup. Two major tribes. With sub tribes. Give me an issue, let me check with the boss then Iíll tell you what my opinion is. Generally always been this way, what is new is that the main stream media is a party to one side.
Klaus that was a funny video (but true).

Davis - very wise words.

Klaus
Member Avatar
HOLY CARP!!!
Copper
Mar 17 2018, 03:42 PM
Klaus

double standard of Fox News

No double standard.

I think Fox News has consistently supported the conservative view.

It is certainly their intention to support the conservatives. Nothing wrong with that, other media have a bias, too. But the kind of reporting shown in the video hurts the conservatives. Double standards are always killing reputation and trustworthiness, no matter which side a media supports.

DealsFor.me - The best sales, coupons, and discounts for you
Go to Next Page
« Previous Topic · The New Coffee Room · Next Topic »
Add Reply