Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]
Welcome to The New Coffee Room. We hope you enjoy your visit.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use. If you join our community, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customizing your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free.

Join our community!

If you're already a member please log in to your account to access all of our features:

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
  • Pages:
Yeah, that ineffectual Trump...
Topic Started: Mar 8 2018, 05:01 PM (1,069 Views)
Jolly
Member Avatar
Geaux Tigers!
Remind me, how many times we have had a summit meeting with the North Koreans?

https://www.yahoo.com/gma/major-announcement-coming-south-korea-north-korea-trump-000603040--abc-news-topstories.html
The main obstacle to a stable and just world order is the United States.- George Soros
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

Mikhailoh
Member Avatar
If you want trouble, find yourself a redhead
Its funny how cooperative some folks can get when their very existence is in jeopardy.
Once in his life, every man is entitled to fall madly in love with a gorgeous redhead - Lucille Ball
Online Profile Quote Post Goto Top

Jolly
Member Avatar
Geaux Tigers!
Being broke and without food helps bring folks to the table.

Let's hope they aren't lying, though...
The main obstacle to a stable and just world order is the United States.- George Soros

Wim
Junior Carp
Just hypothetically: suppose that they're both sincere on meeting and or talking to each other.

Has North Korea suddenly understood that it can't win a conflict with the US?

Or could it be that China is playing a little game of chess by pacifying a possible conflict at its Korean border so that it can spend more attention to the growing problems it has with India (on control of some Himalayan areas)?

If the latter, it would be very wise for Trump not to overestimate his influence in the far east...

Wim

Jolly
Member Avatar
Geaux Tigers!
Wim
Mar 9 2018, 12:11 AM
Just hypothetically: suppose that they're both sincere on meeting and or talking to each other.

Has North Korea suddenly understood that it can't win a conflict with the US?

Or could it be that China is playing a little game of chess by pacifying a possible conflict at its Korean border so that it can spend more attention to the growing problems it has with India (on control of some Himalayan areas)?

If the latter, it would be very wise for Trump not to overestimate his influence in the far east...

Wim
If the NORKs go through with it, it will be the first time their leader has met with a U.S. President.

Ever.

Now, while this may produce nothing, something had to give for this to happen. Maybe it's Chinese pressure. Maybe it's the military exercises taking place off the NK coastline. Maybe it's the UN sanctions. Maybe it's the fact that while the media has been focused on tweets, the U.S. has been diplomatically working the North Koreans very hard.

But.

Without caveat, it is a positive sign and is happening during a Trump Administration. Not under a different administration that has a Nobel Peace Prize under it's belt. Or any other administration.

Mikhailoh
Member Avatar
If you want trouble, find yourself a redhead
Absolutely.
Once in his life, every man is entitled to fall madly in love with a gorgeous redhead - Lucille Ball

Copper
Member Avatar
Shortstop

The cnn coverage of this is amazing.

They have a long list of pundits willing to make up scary ghost stories about why this meeting could be a bad idea.

What if Mr. Un plays a trick on Mr. Trump? OMG - it could mean the end of the world!

Then the next guy pretends that the scary ghost story is real.

Yes, Mr. Trump is going to cause the end of the world in only a few weeks!
The Confederate soldier was peculiar in that he was ever ready to fight, but never ready to submit to the routine duty and discipline of the camp or the march. The soldiers were determined to be soldiers after their own notions, and do their duty, for the love of it, as they thought best. Carlton McCarthy

Davis
Member Avatar
Senior Carp
Copper
Mar 9 2018, 08:21 AM
The cnn coverage of this is amazing.

They have a long list of pundits willing to make up scary ghost stories about why this meeting could be a bad idea.

What if Mr. Un plays a trick on Mr. Trump? OMG - it could mean the end of the world!

Then the next guy pretends that the scary ghost story is real.

Yes, Mr. Trump is going to cause the end of the world in only a few weeks!
I think itís fair and right to model the scenarios but CNN is so off the charts bad that itís laugable when they question, I did spit my coffee out literally during one of those segments. How they do it with a straight face is really impressive.

Jolly
Member Avatar
Geaux Tigers!
Hard to chalk one up for the Antichrist...

Kincaid
Member Avatar
HOLY CARP!!!
I hope when they go in for the handshake Trump pulls out the shiv and sticks it right up between the 2nd and 3rd rib of the little guy.
Kincaid - disgusted Republican Partisan since 2006.

Tav D
Junior Carp
I heard that the reason Kim wants to talk is that he is literally running out of money because of sanctions. He will probably try to squeeze concessions in the form of more money in exchange with ďstoppingĒ his nuclear program. Heís done this before. Each time he cheats and continues missile development. Trump should demand international inspections. Of course Kim can act like Saddam and play cat and mouse games to hide his facilities. Maybe Trump can say ďif we detect any missile/warhead development we begin bombing in 5 minutesĒ
Edited by Tav D, Mar 9 2018, 12:04 PM.

Luke's Dad
Member Avatar
Emperor Pengin
I think Kim agreed to the summit just to shake hands with a man that has even smaller hands than he does.
The problem with having an open mind is that people keep trying to put things in it.

Copper
Member Avatar
Shortstop

Will Dennis Rodman be there?

The Confederate soldier was peculiar in that he was ever ready to fight, but never ready to submit to the routine duty and discipline of the camp or the march. The soldiers were determined to be soldiers after their own notions, and do their duty, for the love of it, as they thought best. Carlton McCarthy

Davis
Member Avatar
Senior Carp
Well we excoriated Obama for his campaign pledge to talk to the bad guys, I suppose turn around is fair play. But it is funny that a month ago the world was going to end and now the new breathless news is why the hell are they talking and that is a horrible move.

xenon
Member Avatar
Senior Carp
Seems like all political stripes are huffing and puffing about this - nothing has happened. Letís wait till the nukes have been shelved (doubtful after you see what happened to the likes of Saddam and Gaddafi).

Copper
Member Avatar
Shortstop
Davis
Mar 9 2018, 02:00 PM
Well we excoriated Obama for his campaign pledge to talk to the bad guys

It was the bow and apology that caused the problem.

Mr. Trump is unlikely to do that.

Davis
Member Avatar
Senior Carp
xenon
Mar 9 2018, 02:02 PM
Seems like all political stripes are huffing and puffing about this - nothing has happened. Letís wait till the nukes have been shelved (doubtful after you see what happened to the likes of Saddam and Gaddafi).

What no Nobel peace prize? Come on Xenon, where is the fairness.

jon-nyc
Member Avatar
Cheers
So did Trump just screw the pooch on this? It looks like Huckabee Sanders walked it back.

Maybe Trump didnít realize that NK has always been willing to meet, but we wouldnít do it without preconditions. Then Trump gets an invitation and thinks he hit a triple.
In my defense, I was left unsupervised.

Davis
Member Avatar
Senior Carp
jon-nyc
Mar 9 2018, 02:07 PM
So did Trump just screw the pooch on this? It looks like Huckabee walked it back.

Maybe Trump didnít realize that NK has always even willing to meet, but we wouldnít do it without preconditions. Then Trump gets an invitation and thinks he hit a triple.
I know right. Where would we be without these genius journalists. They should really be running the country and advising with their deep knowledge. Why arenít they serving, itís our biggest problem.

jon-nyc
Member Avatar
Cheers
Iím not going to chase that ball, but I enjoy watching you throw.

Luke's Dad
Member Avatar
Emperor Pengin
Davis
Well we excoriated Obama for his campaign pledge to talk to the bad guys, I suppose turn around is fair play. But it is funny that a month ago the world was going to end and now the new breathless news is why the hell are they talking and that is a horrible move.
To be fair, the bad guys that we objected to Obama talking to were terrorist organizations and weren't nation states. There was no problem with Obama talking to Iran, for instance. The problem there was the treaty that he unilaterally agreed to.
The problem with having an open mind is that people keep trying to put things in it.

George K
Member Avatar
Finally
Luke's Dad
Mar 9 2018, 02:23 PM
Davis
To be fair, the bad guys that we objected to Obama talking to were terrorist organizations and weren't nation states. There was no problem with Obama talking to Iran, for instance. The problem there was the treaty that he unilaterally agreed to....
...and that airplane full of dollars.
A guide to GKSR: Click

"Now look here, you Baltic gas passer... "
- Mik, 6/14/08

Nothing is as effective as homeopathy.

I'd rather listen to an hour of Abba than an hour of The Beatles.
- Klaus, 4/29/18

Larry
Member Avatar
Mmmmmmm, pie!
You democrats and other Trump haters amuse me.
Of the Pokatwat Tribe

Klaus
Member Avatar
HOLY CARP!!!
jon-nyc
Mar 9 2018, 02:07 PM
Maybe Trump didnít realize that NK has always been willing to meet, but we wouldnít do it without preconditions. Then Trump gets an invitation and thinks he hit a triple.
That's also my understanding. Every recent POTUS could have had a meeting with the NK dictator whenever he wanted. I'm not necessarily saying it's a bad thing to talk to the guy, but so far nothing of value has been accomplished. It all depends on whether there will be any tangible results from the meeting.
Trifonov Fleisher Klaus Sokolov Zimmerman

jon-nyc
Member Avatar
Cheers
Youíre just a deranged trump hater, Klaus.

DealsFor.me - The best sales, coupons, and discounts for you
Go to Next Page
« Previous Topic · The New Coffee Room · Next Topic »
Add Reply
  • Pages: