Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]
Welcome to The New Coffee Room. We hope you enjoy your visit.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use. If you join our community, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customizing your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free.

Join our community!

If you're already a member please log in to your account to access all of our features:

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
  • Pages:
Trump and Steel
Topic Started: Mar 1 2018, 10:26 PM (2,953 Views)
Jolly
Member Avatar
Geaux Tigers!
Isn't WaPo the same fishwrapper that led with an incomplete Red. Hen story? By interviewing the owner of the restaurant and portraying her actions taking place in a measured and serene manner, then selectively leaving out the fact that she organized a group of protestors to harass and verbally abuse the Sanders family at another restaurant.

If that's not an attempt to shape news rather than report it, there ain't a cow in Texas.

The main obstacle to a stable and just world order is the United States.- George Soros
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

John Galt
Fulla-Carp
xenon
Jun 25 2018, 03:18 PM
I don't understand his latest tweet:

Quote:

Surprised that Harley-Davidson, of all companies, would be the first to wave the White Flag. I fought hard for them and ultimately they will not pay tariffs selling into the E.U., which has hurt us badly on trade, down $151 Billion. Taxes just a Harley excuse - be patient! #MAGA

What does that mean? I thought the EU tariffs have already been implemented. How will Harley not pay? (real question)
I saw the same thing and wondered, but figured there was no way he was actually threatening them with a tax.

Turns out that's exactly what he's threatening to do.

https://twitter.com/realDonaldTrump/status/1011584315040419840?ref_src=twsrc%5Egoogle%7Ctwcamp%5Enews%7Ctwgr%5Etweet

Quote:

A Harley-Davidson should never be built in another country-never! Their employees and customers are already very angry at them. If they move, watch, it will be the beginning of the end - they surrendered, they quit! The Aura will be gone and they will be taxed like never before!

Gone are the halcyon days ....

Posted Image
Let us begin anew, remembering on both sides that civility is not a sign of weakness.

Axtremus
Member Avatar
HOLY CARP!!!
John Galt
Jun 26 2018, 08:49 AM
https://twitter.com/realDonaldTrump/status/1011584315040419840?ref_src=twsrc%5Egoogle%7Ctwcamp%5Enews%7Ctwgr%5Etweet

Quote:

A Harley-Davidson should never be built in another country-never! Their employees and customers are already very angry at them. If they move, watch, it will be the beginning of the end - they surrendered, they quit! The Aura will be gone and they will be taxed like never before!
Trump-branded merchandize can be made in another country. But no, Harley-Davidson cannot make their stuff in another country!

Rules for thee, and not for me.

John Galt
Fulla-Carp
Trump's hysteria is hard to understand. Harley is making a sound business decision. Their markets are elsewhere.

http://money.cnn.com/2018/06/26/news/companies/trump-harley-davidson/index.html

edit: Ax - good point. about Trump products being made overseas and sold here. It's already been noted that the clothing industry has been spared from tariffs....
Edited by John Galt, Jun 26 2018, 08:58 AM.
Let us begin anew, remembering on both sides that civility is not a sign of weakness.

Mikhailoh
Member Avatar
If you want trouble, find yourself a redhead
JG, I am going to say this in the kindest way I know how. You are really becoming a Debbie Downer. :lol2:

No matter what happens you turn it into a way to criticise Trump.

I remember when to criticise the president, why it was RACISM!!!
"I have strong feelings about gun control. If there's a gun around, I want to be controlling it." Clint Eastwood, Pink Cadillac

John Galt
Fulla-Carp
You and others have pointed out that Harley Davidson is on the decline, even to the point that if you worked for that company you'd be looking for another job because the handwriting is on the wall.

The company is making a reasonable decision for the business and its shareholders to move operations to where their markets are.

The president of the United States is threatening them with some kind of tax if they follow through.

If you don't feel the teeniest bit uncomfortable about what he's doing, then (and I seriously say this in the kindest way possible - :hug: ) you are suffering from an alternate form of TDS where you brush aside any reasonable analysis of his actions with "you hate Trump".

The other points about how the employees of Harley were exactly the kind of people looking for their livelihoods to be protected by Trump is, I believe, a pretty accurate observation. As is the observation that in his own businesses are doing precisely what Harley is doing, putting profit before employee job protection.

I think he's totally in over his head with respect to the tariffs. I don't hate him; I just disagree with his strategy. Or what I feel is lack thereof.
Edited by John Galt, Jun 26 2018, 10:58 AM.

Larry
Member Avatar
Mmmmmmm, pie!
So if their business is in decline here but growing elsewhere, and they make the decision to build product where their market is now...

Explain to me why it's Trumps fault, and where you think you get the right to criticize him for it.
Of the Pokatwat Tribe

Larry
Member Avatar
Mmmmmmm, pie!
Quote:

I think he's totally in over his head with respect to the tariffs. I don't hate him; I just disagree with his strategy. Or what I feel is lack thereof

Proof that leftwingers base their views on their feelings instead of facts!
Of the Pokatwat Tribe

xenon
Member Avatar
Senior Carp
Right because Trump saying that Harley can't be built outside of US is totally not a feelings thing.
Edited by xenon, Jun 26 2018, 11:41 AM.
Online Profile Quote Post Goto Top

Larry
Member Avatar
Mmmmmmm, pie!
What in the hell does that have to do with the flawed logic of basing your worldview on feelings?

Of the Pokatwat Tribe

xenon
Member Avatar
Senior Carp
What is the logic-based reasoning behind Trump saying that a Harley can't be built outside of the US?

Or are you moving the goal post now to "leftists base everything on feelings"

Larry
Member Avatar
Mmmmmmm, pie!
xenon
Jun 26 2018, 11:53 AM
Or are you moving the goal post now to "leftists base everything on feelings"
That doesnt require moving the goal post. Hahahxhahaaaaa
Of the Pokatwat Tribe

Axtremus
Member Avatar
HOLY CARP!!!
On to foreign cars ...

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-usa-trade-autos/trump-says-finishing-u-s-study-on-tariffs-on-cars-from-eu-idUSKBN1JM1GQ

Before Trump announces any decision regarding tariffs on foreign assembled cars, who here wants to see more tariffs imposed on foreign cars? Who would rather not see tariffs imposed on foreign cars?

What say you Audi and Mercedes lovers? What say you Ford and GM lovers? What say you Honda/Toyota drivers?

Jolly
Member Avatar
Geaux Tigers!
Axtremus
Jun 26 2018, 03:58 PM
On to foreign cars ...

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-usa-trade-autos/trump-says-finishing-u-s-study-on-tariffs-on-cars-from-eu-idUSKBN1JM1GQ

Before Trump announces any decision regarding tariffs on foreign assembled cars, who here wants to see more tariffs imposed on foreign cars? Who would rather not see tariffs imposed on foreign cars?

What say you Audi and Mercedes lovers? What say you Ford and GM lovers? What say you Honda/Toyota drivers?
What do you think?
The main obstacle to a stable and just world order is the United States.- George Soros

Copper
Member Avatar
Shortstop

Win.

Be great.

And keep draining.

Don't get too hung up on the details.

The Confederate soldier was peculiar in that he was ever ready to fight, but never ready to submit to the routine duty and discipline of the camp or the march. The soldiers were determined to be soldiers after their own notions, and do their duty, for the love of it, as they thought best. Carlton McCarthy

Rainman
Member Avatar
Fulla-Carp
Huge tariff on imported Audi's please.
:thumb:

Jolly
Member Avatar
Geaux Tigers!
Rainman
Jun 26 2018, 04:39 PM
Huge tariff on imported Audi's please.
:thumb:
George is gonna whup your butt with a 30" Y tubing and a piece of IV pole...And that will hurt...

xenon
Member Avatar
Senior Carp
Wouldn't be retroactive. He's ahead of the game.

Davis
Member Avatar
Fulla-Carp
Axtremus
Jun 26 2018, 03:58 PM
On to foreign cars ...

Ax

How long can the EU survive this tariff action? What is your prediction? Letís move from the daily critique to what the future holds.

I think I have already weighed in on this.

John Galt
Fulla-Carp
https://www.al.com/business/index.ssf/2018/06/mazda_joins_toyota_in_decrying.html

John Galt
Fulla-Carp
Polaris/Indian considering options.

https://www.apnews.com/06d26edb080e46f8b743edbf542eaf78

Axtremus
Member Avatar
HOLY CARP!!!
No tariff on clothing and shoes:

https://www.politico.com/story/2018/07/07/china-trade-war-ivanka-trump-business-shoes-701668

Axtremus
Member Avatar
HOLY CARP!!!
That 200 Billion USD tariff against Chinese imports ... the USTR just published the proposed list of stuff that will be hit by the tariff:

https://ustr.gov/sites/default/files/301/2018-0026%20China%20FRN%207-10-2018_0.pdf

(The list starts from page 11.)

Copper
Member Avatar
Shortstop

Nice.

The Confederate soldier was peculiar in that he was ever ready to fight, but never ready to submit to the routine duty and discipline of the camp or the march. The soldiers were determined to be soldiers after their own notions, and do their duty, for the love of it, as they thought best. Carlton McCarthy

Larry
Member Avatar
Mmmmmmm, pie!
We should stop doing business with China altogether. Their economy would collapse in short order, and they'd no longer be a threat to world peace.
Of the Pokatwat Tribe

Go to Next Page
« Previous Topic · The New Coffee Room · Next Topic »
Add Reply
  • Pages: