Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]
Welcome to The New Coffee Room. We hope you enjoy your visit.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use. If you join our community, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customizing your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free.

Join our community!

If you're already a member please log in to your account to access all of our features:

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
The Olympic Sweater Controversy
Topic Started: Feb 13 2018, 08:02 AM (82 Views)
Aqua Letifer
Member Avatar
ZOOOOOM!
https://www.nytimes.com/2018/01/30/world/europe/norway-skiing-knitting-nazis.html

See this sort of crap is getting completely out of hand. And we’re very much to blame.

Here’s the protocol when this sort of thing happens in America:
1) Dipshits find a way to gin up outrage over some innocuous thing a company or organization did.
2) Company or organization goes into full-on crisis mode and does everything it can to appease the social justice warriors.
3) Whatever other fallout occurs, the complainers get their vindication. At the very least, their being taken seriously and the offending group’s efforts to put out the fire puts the outraged in the right in the court of public opinion. And sets things up for another outrage party.

They don’t play that shit as much over there.

Quote:

In many countries a national ski team’s woolen sweater design would not be a major issue, but Norwegians take their knitting seriously.

I love Norway. :lol:

Quote:

The manufacturer, Dale of Norway, expressed frustration and disappointment over the whole situation. Hilde Midthjell, the company’s chief executive, vowed to face down any attempts by white supremacists to co-opt symbols that belonged to a shared Norwegian heritage. She decided not to remove the sweaters from the production line.

“Neo-Nazis have marched with Norwegian flags,” she said. “That does not mean we stop using that, does it?”

Way to go.

Quote:

The design is still the downhill ski team’s official sweater this season.

“It took decades after World War II before we could start using Viking symbols with pride again,” he said.

At least they’re not completely lying down for this crap.
I cite irreconcilable differences.
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

taiwan_girl
Member Avatar
Fulla-Carp
I agree.

It is very common for people from the West, the first time they visit to Asia, to comment and ask why there are all the Nazi symbols on the temples!!!!

Aqua Letifer
Member Avatar
ZOOOOOM!
taiwan_girl
Feb 13 2018, 08:06 AM
I agree.

It is very common for people from the West, the first time they visit to Asia, to comment and ask why there are all the Nazi symbols on the temples!!!!
And they don’t take the symbols down when someone complains. Because that would be insane.

We should follow suit more often over here.
I cite irreconcilable differences.

Copper
Member Avatar
Shortstop
http://www.bbc.com/news/world-asia-35349619

Quote:

Japan's plan to drop swastikas as temple symbol sparks backlash

A Japanese proposal to stop using swastikas to identify temples on tourist maps has sparked a backlash.

Japan's official map-making body said foreigners might mistake it for a Nazi symbol, and that temples should be represented by a three-storey pagoda instead.

It is one of six map symbols the Geospatial Information Authority of Japan (GSI) has proposed dropping, as Japan prepares for the 2020 Tokyo Olympics.

'The idea is foolish'
The GSI came up with the suggestions after speaking to experts and surveying more than 1,000 people, including tourists, embassy officials and foreign students.

It is conducting a public consultation before making an official decision, but some people in Japan are not happy.

Many say the ancient Sanskrit symbol - which has been adopted into Japanese where it is pronounced manji - has long been associated with Buddhism and Japanese culture, and that the tourists should learn this.

Posted Image

Quote:

On the left, the temple symbol currently used on Japanese-language maps, and on the right is the proposed new symbol for foreign-language maps

Edited by Copper, Feb 13 2018, 08:17 AM.
The Confederate soldier was peculiar in that he was ever ready to fight, but never ready to submit to the routine duty and discipline of the camp or the march. The soldiers were determined to be soldiers after their own notions, and do their duty, for the love of it, as they thought best. Carlton McCarthy
Online Profile Quote Post Goto Top

sue
Member Avatar
HOLY CARP!!!
Hadn't heard about this. I'm just happy it's not us again. There was a big fuss (perhaps not internationally) about the authenticity of our team' "Cowichan" sweaters - I think that was 2010.
Those surface dwellers are such rubes, curled up in bed or something equally inane. - Horace

Luke's Dad
Member Avatar
Emperor Pengin
Sweaters are cultural appropriation against Italian men and their hairy backs.

I'm trying to become an SJW.
The problem with having an open mind is that people keep trying to put things in it.
Online Profile Quote Post Goto Top

ZetaBoards - Free Forum Hosting
Free Forums with no limits on posts or members.
« Previous Topic · The New Coffee Room · Next Topic »
Add Reply