Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]
Welcome to The New Coffee Room. We hope you enjoy your visit.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use. If you join our community, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customizing your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free.

Join our community!

If you're already a member please log in to your account to access all of our features:

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
  • Pages:
Food, not money.
Topic Started: Feb 12 2018, 05:32 PM (373 Views)
Jolly
Member Avatar
Geaux Tigers!
Liberals don't like giving poor people food?

http://www.americanthinker.com/blog/2018/02/why_does_replacing_food_stamps_with_food_so_anger_liberals.html
The main obstacle to a stable and just world order is the United States.- George Soros
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

Mikhailoh
Member Avatar
If you want trouble, find yourself a redhead
In 1972 I was staying wih a very poor friendís family in Poplar Bluff, MO for a couple weeks. They got what was called Commodities - big boxes of great, shelf stable food. Lots of whole canned chickens, noodles, soups, vegetables. Good food to feed a family. Worked great.

In 1974 I was in an apartment in my home town, buying food stamps fifty cents on the dollar so recipients could buy cigarettes.

Which solution do you find better?
"I have strong feelings about gun control. If there's a gun around, I want to be controlling it." Clint Eastwood, Pink Cadillac
Online Profile Quote Post Goto Top

Copper
Member Avatar
Shortstop
Mikhailoh
Feb 13 2018, 09:47 AM

That depends on whether I'm buying or selling.

The Confederate soldier was peculiar in that he was ever ready to fight, but never ready to submit to the routine duty and discipline of the camp or the march. The soldiers were determined to be soldiers after their own notions, and do their duty, for the love of it, as they thought best. Carlton McCarthy

taiwan_girl
Member Avatar
Fulla-Carp
Mikhailoh
In 1972 I was staying wih a very poor friendís family in Poplar Bluff, MO for a couple weeks. They got what was called Commodities - big boxes of great, shelf stable food. Lots of whole canned chickens, noodles, soups, vegetables. Good food to feed a family. Worked great.

In 1974 I was in an apartment in my home town, buying food stamps fifty cents on the dollar so recipients could buy cigarettes.

Of course Mikailoh, the first option sound better. But don't you think that the same person who was selling food stamps for $0.50 would take a box of food and sell it also? As I mentioned above, if people are going to cheat, they are going to cheat. It does not matter if they receive a stamp or a box of food. They will find a way to cheat.

For example, what is to stop a person saying that their box was stolen from their front deck? Do you send another one? Maybe it really was stolen. Maybe they are just saying that so that they can get double the amount and sell part of it.

I just see the logistic of doing this to be a lot a lot more more money and extra people and other things that would be much more than any potential savings.

Luke's Dad
Member Avatar
Emperor Pengin
Jolly
Feb 13 2018, 08:29 AM
Luke's Dad
Feb 13 2018, 08:22 AM
Copper
Feb 13 2018, 08:14 AM
The government isn't going to supply prime rib.

We're talking about Cheerios, Tostitos and Mac Cheese.

Those things are getting distributed pretty efficiently right now.

Amazon Prime Pantry does deliver Cheerios, Tostitos, and Mac & Cheese.
They can also deliver rice, dried beans, commodity-type cheese, pasta, canned milk and cans of whatever.

But they don't deliver everywhere. The Post Office does, and they can use the money.
Amazon uses the USPS when other couriers aren't available.
The problem with having an open mind is that people keep trying to put things in it.

Luke's Dad
Member Avatar
Emperor Pengin
taiwan_girl
Feb 14 2018, 07:16 AM
Mikhailoh

Of course Mikailoh, the first option sound better. But don't you think that the same person who was selling food stamps for $0.50 would take a box of food and sell it also? As I mentioned above, if people are going to cheat, they are going to cheat. It does not matter if they receive a stamp or a box of food. They will find a way to cheat.

For example, what is to stop a person saying that their box was stolen from their front deck? Do you send another one? Maybe it really was stolen. Maybe they are just saying that so that they can get double the amount and sell part of it.

I just see the logistic of doing this to be a lot a lot more more money and extra people and other things that would be much more than any potential savings.
You are overthinking it. There are multiple delivery options already built in that can be subcontracted. Also, at tgis volume of purchasing they can deal directly with the manufacturers and get much higher pricing.

As for fraud, require them to sign on delivery. After that, it's on the recipient.
The problem with having an open mind is that people keep trying to put things in it.

Luke's Dad
Member Avatar
Emperor Pengin
The way to sell this isn't to talk about cost savings, it's to promote more food. Point out that they are sending out 32 oz boxes of cereal as opposed to the 20 oz they would normally buy...

Luke's Dad
Member Avatar
Emperor Pengin
And by the way, 100 cuts like this is where you start reducing real spending. Mik and I have been saying for years to cut spending across the board, but allow managers to actually manage. There is so much waste that can be eliminated. Especially Military spending.

Jolly
Member Avatar
Geaux Tigers!
Luke's Dad
Feb 14 2018, 07:33 AM
Jolly
Feb 13 2018, 08:29 AM
Luke's Dad
Feb 13 2018, 08:22 AM
Copper
Feb 13 2018, 08:14 AM
The government isn't going to supply prime rib.

We're talking about Cheerios, Tostitos and Mac Cheese.

Those things are getting distributed pretty efficiently right now.

Amazon Prime Pantry does deliver Cheerios, Tostitos, and Mac & Cheese.
They can also deliver rice, dried beans, commodity-type cheese, pasta, canned milk and cans of whatever.

But they don't deliver everywhere. The Post Office does, and they can use the money.
Amazon uses the USPS when other couriers aren't available.
This last Christmas, over half of my Amazon packages were delivered by the postman. UPS and FedEx Ground had the rest.

The main obstacle to a stable and just world order is the United States.- George Soros

Jolly
Member Avatar
Geaux Tigers!
taiwan_girl
Feb 14 2018, 07:16 AM
Mikhailoh

Lot harder to peddle canned chicken or dried beans, than selling benefits on a card.

A lot harder.

Mikhailoh
Member Avatar
Would be like...working.
"I have strong feelings about gun control. If there's a gun around, I want to be controlling it." Clint Eastwood, Pink Cadillac

jon-nyc
Member Avatar
Cheers
Luke's Dad
Feb 14 2018, 07:41 AM
And by the way, 100 cuts like this is where you start reducing real spending. Mik and I have been saying for years to cut spending across the board, but allow managers to actually manage. There is so much waste that can be eliminated. Especially Military spending.
And I've been mostly poo-pooing it for all these years. It would only work in a limited number of cases, and with only a small percentage of spending. The reason for that is, in most cases, the agency involved is not simply given a goal and discretion as to how to achieve it. They are specifically required by legislation to do precise things, in many instances to spend precise sums.

Nobody gives the Social Security administration 100B and the charge to 'just see what you can do for our seniors and disabled folks'. And if you give it just a few milliseconds of thought, you'll understand it's a good idea that they don't. If not you have way too much trust in anonymous bureaucrats.

In my defense, I was left unsupervised.

Aqua Letifer
Member Avatar
ZOOOOOM!
Mikhailoh

Lady who sat beside me at Starbucks today mentioned that when she and her husband were receiving government food, they had to give half of it back because of food allergies; all the peanut butter in the world's not going to help you when it can also kill you. She preferred the food stamps because she could pick and choose what worked best for her and her family.

Not saying this completely contradicts what you're saying, just found it interesting since we were just talking about this the other day.
I cite irreconcilable differences.

Luke's Dad
Member Avatar
Emperor Pengin
Aqua Letifer
Feb 15 2018, 12:10 PM
Mikhailoh

Lady who sat beside me at Starbucks today mentioned that when she and her husband were receiving government food, they had to give half of it back because of food allergies; all the peanut butter in the world's not going to help you when it can also kill you. She preferred the food stamps because she could pick and choose what worked best for her and her family.

Not saying this completely contradicts what you're saying, just found it interesting since we were just talking about this the other day.
I'm confident that there will be allowances for food allergies.

Mikhailoh
Member Avatar
Pretty much of an outlier anyway. I suspect they are asked in advance.

« Previous Topic · The New Coffee Room · Next Topic »
Add Reply
  • Pages: