Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]
Welcome to The New Coffee Room. We hope you enjoy your visit.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use. If you join our community, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customizing your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free.

Join our community!

If you're already a member please log in to your account to access all of our features:

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
  • Pages:
Food, not money.
Topic Started: Feb 12 2018, 05:32 PM (365 Views)
Jolly
Member Avatar
Geaux Tigers!
https://www.marketwatch.com/story/trumps-new-food-stamps-plan-a-basket-of-us-food-direct-to-your-doorstep-2018-02-12
The main obstacle to a stable and just world order is the United States.- George Soros
Online Profile Quote Post Goto Top

John Galt
Fulla-Carp
https://www.npr.org/sections/thesalt/2018/02/12/585130274/trump-administration-wants-to-decide-what-food-snap-recipients-will-get
Let us begin anew, remembering on both sides that civility is not a sign of weakness.
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

Copper
Member Avatar
Shortstop

And I've been asking for years why not single-payer food if we need single-payer healthcare?

I wasn't really serious.
The Confederate soldier was peculiar in that he was ever ready to fight, but never ready to submit to the routine duty and discipline of the camp or the march. The soldiers were determined to be soldiers after their own notions, and do their duty, for the love of it, as they thought best. Carlton McCarthy

Axtremus
Member Avatar
HOLY CARP!!!
Jolly
Feb 12 2018, 05:32 PM
So ... will they invite Michelle Obama to curate the food baskets? :blink:

Luke's Dad
Member Avatar
Emperor Pengin
So they are bitching about the free food they are getting?
The problem with having an open mind is that people keep trying to put things in it.

George K
Member Avatar
Finally
Luke's Dad
Feb 12 2018, 06:04 PM
So they are bitching about the free food they are getting?
That's pretty cheesy of them, isn't it?
A guide to GKSR: Click

"Now look here, you Baltic gas passer... "
- Mik, 6/14/08

Nothing is as effective as homeopathy.

I'd rather listen to an hour of Abba than an hour of The Beatles.
- Klaus, 4/29/18

Luke's Dad
Member Avatar
Emperor Pengin
It makes perfect sense. The government can buy Cheerios in bulk for a lot less money than 50 million families buying it individually.
The problem with having an open mind is that people keep trying to put things in it.

Axtremus
Member Avatar
HOLY CARP!!!
Luke's Dad
Feb 12 2018, 06:08 PM
It makes perfect sense. The government can buy Cheerios in bulk for a lot less money than 50 million families buying it individually.
Good point; the government can buy healthcare in bulk for a lot less money than 126 million households buying it individually too!

Copper
Member Avatar
Shortstop

I haven't heard much about it, but I think we'll find out that the democrats want the beggars to be choosers.

The Confederate soldier was peculiar in that he was ever ready to fight, but never ready to submit to the routine duty and discipline of the camp or the march. The soldiers were determined to be soldiers after their own notions, and do their duty, for the love of it, as they thought best. Carlton McCarthy

Copper
Member Avatar
Shortstop
Axtremus
Feb 12 2018, 06:11 PM
Luke's Dad
Good point; the government can buy healthcare in bulk for a lot less money than 126 million households buying it individually too!

No they can't, to both.

Maybe they can buy it, but they can't deliver it in a way that it can be used for a lot less.

Jolly
Member Avatar
Geaux Tigers!
Back to the future.

It take some of the fraud out of the system and it provides better food than Cheetos and moon pies.
The main obstacle to a stable and just world order is the United States.- George Soros

Davis
Member Avatar
Senior Carp
Copper
Feb 12 2018, 06:14 PM
Axtremus
Feb 12 2018, 06:11 PM
Luke's Dad

No they can't, to both.

Maybe they can buy it, but they can't deliver it in a way that it can be used for a lot less.

Very true. Hospitals and I think doctors make more profit on commercial insurance.

John Galt
Fulla-Carp
Quote:

“What we do is propose that for folks who are on food stamps, part — not all, part — of their benefits come in the actual sort of, and I don't want to steal somebody's copyright, but a Blue Apron-type program where you actually receive the food instead of receive the cash,” Mulvaney said. “It lowers the cost to us because we can buy [at wholesale prices] whereas they have to buy it at retail. It also makes sure they're getting nutritious food. So we're pretty excited about that.”

1) Federal government inserting itself into peoples' eating habits, trying to force them to eat healthy.

2) Federal government getting involved in food distribution logistics. We know they're really good at that already; just see how well it worked in Puerto Rico.

This sounds like a "big government telling American's what to do" program invented by Democrats....Hard to believe we're not hearing cries of derision from the TNCR peanut gallery....

Let us begin anew, remembering on both sides that civility is not a sign of weakness.

Jolly
Member Avatar
Geaux Tigers!
John Galt
Feb 13 2018, 06:00 AM
Quote:

“What we do is propose that for folks who are on food stamps, part — not all, part — of their benefits come in the actual sort of, and I don't want to steal somebody's copyright, but a Blue Apron-type program where you actually receive the food instead of receive the cash,” Mulvaney said. “It lowers the cost to us because we can buy [at wholesale prices] whereas they have to buy it at retail. It also makes sure they're getting nutritious food. So we're pretty excited about that.”

1) Federal government inserting itself into peoples' eating habits, trying to force them to eat healthy.

2) Federal government getting involved in food distribution logistics. We know they're really good at that already; just see how well it worked in Puerto Rico.

This sounds like a "big government telling American's what to do" program invented by Democrats....Hard to believe we're not hearing cries of derision from the TNCR peanut gallery....

It's my money. i don't like it spent foolishly.

I know how the scams are done with convenience stores to get booze and cigarettes paid for with food stamp cards. I know how groceries are sold - 50-75 cents on the dollar - by food stamp recipients. I know what kind of food I see in grocery store carts...Typically, a lot of junk food and a lot of pre-prepared stuff.

I know that many people who receive food stamps also receive Medicaid. While nobody lives forever, bad food choices help bring on a lot of maintenance diseases such heart disease and diabetes.

Lastly, I submit much of the distribution problem in Puerto Rico was a direct result of local incompetence and graft. You didn't see those problems in Houston or Florida, did you? The Feds can only do so much in a major disaster and then the locals have to carry the ball.

Now, instead of throwing rocks, tell me how you would fix the problem.

Copper
Member Avatar
Shortstop
John Galt
Feb 13 2018, 06:00 AM

Federal government inserting itself into peoples' eating habits, trying to force them to eat healthy.

Why in the world would the federal government want people to eat healthy?

Especially people who don't pay taxes?

It only increases the maintenance cost.

taiwan_girl
Member Avatar
Fulla-Carp
Quote:

I think that this would be the biggest reason why something like this would not work in the US. The size of trying to do this would end up costing (probably) more than any saving from buying large amounts. A program like this would be a disaster in the US. Do you have people come to a wearhouse to pick up their food? DO you deliver it to them? Do you set up a extra government department in charge of buying the food, shipping the food, putting the food in packages, shipping the food?

I have been in countries with something like this works, but the situation is very different and there are not an alternative like in the US.

Quote:

I know how the scams are done with convenience stores to get booze and cigarettes paid for with food stamp cards. I know how groceries are sold - 50-75 cents on the dollar - by food stamp recipients. I know what kind of food I see in grocery store carts...Typically, a lot of junk food and a lot of pre-prepared stuff.

I don't think this program would stop the above at all. If people are going to cheat the system, they will find a way.

Aqua Letifer
Member Avatar
ZOOOOOM!
Jolly
Feb 13 2018, 06:19 AM
Says the guy who wants a lavish military parade.
I cite irreconcilable differences.

Aqua Letifer
Member Avatar
ZOOOOOM!
taiwan_girl
Feb 13 2018, 07:44 AM
I don't think this program would stop the above at all. If people are going to cheat the system, they will find a way.
That’s exactly right. That incidents happen is no argument against these programs; nothing is perfect. It’s about cost-benefit and how effective they are overall.

Luke's Dad
Member Avatar
Emperor Pengin
Nah, they could subcontract out to Amazon, and with the volume discounts they could get, it would easily get them the savinfs we are speaking about.

Copper
Member Avatar
Shortstop

The government isn't going to supply prime rib.

We're talking about Cheerios, Tostitos and Mac Cheese.

Those things are getting distributed pretty efficiently right now.

Jolly
Member Avatar
Geaux Tigers!
Aqua Letifer
Feb 13 2018, 07:44 AM
Jolly
Feb 13 2018, 06:19 AM
Says the guy who wants a lavish military parade.
Define lavish. Then define costly. Then think of the military's advertising budget and how much free publicity would be generated by such a parade.

Why, let a few tanks rumble down Pennsylvania Avenue and you might be banging on a recruiter's door! :silly: ;)

Luke's Dad
Member Avatar
Emperor Pengin
Copper
Feb 13 2018, 08:14 AM

Amazon Prime Pantry does deliver Cheerios, Tostitos, and Mac & Cheese.

Aqua Letifer
Member Avatar
ZOOOOOM!
Jolly
Feb 13 2018, 08:19 AM
how much free publicity would be generated by such a parade.
It’s not free, parades cost assloads. I don’t understand how cost-cutting can be soberly called for when at the same time something so frivolous is being considered.

Jolly
Member Avatar
Geaux Tigers!
Aqua Letifer
Feb 13 2018, 08:23 AM
Jolly
Feb 13 2018, 08:19 AM
how much free publicity would be generated by such a parade.
It’s not free, parades cost assloads. I don’t understand how cost-cutting can be soberly called for when at the same time something so frivolous is being considered.
The Pentagon spends over 500 million dollars each year for marketing and advertising.

The parade would cost no more than 20 mil, and that's if the military pays for all of it. Do the thing on the 4th or on Veteran's Day, and you'll get a lot of bang for your buck.

Jolly
Member Avatar
Geaux Tigers!
Luke's Dad
Feb 13 2018, 08:22 AM
Copper
Feb 13 2018, 08:14 AM

Amazon Prime Pantry does deliver Cheerios, Tostitos, and Mac & Cheese.
They can also deliver rice, dried beans, commodity-type cheese, pasta, canned milk and cans of whatever.

But they don't deliver everywhere. The Post Office does, and they can use the money.

DealsFor.me - The best sales, coupons, and discounts for you
Go to Next Page
« Previous Topic · The New Coffee Room · Next Topic »
Add Reply
  • Pages: