Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]
Welcome to The New Coffee Room. We hope you enjoy your visit.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use. If you join our community, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customizing your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free.

Join our community!

If you're already a member please log in to your account to access all of our features:

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
  • Pages:
An Audiophile's Perspective of the Apple HomePod
Topic Started: Feb 12 2018, 04:09 AM (359 Views)
George K
Member Avatar
Finally
https://www.reddit.com/r/audiophile/comments/7wwtqy/apple_homepod_the_audiophile_perspective/?sort=confidence

Quote:

Tl;Dr:

I am speechless. The HomePod actually sounds better than the KEF X300A. If you’re new to the Audiophile world, KEF is a very well respected and much loved speaker company. I actually deleted my very first measurements and re-checked everything because they were so good, I thought I’d made an error. Apple has managed to extract peak performance from a pint sized speaker, a feat that deserves a standing ovation. The HomePod is 100% an Audiophile grade Speaker.

Hope you Enjoy The read.
A guide to GKSR: Click

"Now look here, you Baltic gas passer... "
- Mik, 6/14/08

Nothing is as effective as homeopathy.

"There are 57 different genders, but politics is binary."
- David Burge, 7/29/18
Online Profile Quote Post Goto Top

Copper
Member Avatar
Shortstop

Put 2 in a room to get stereo sound, $349 each, special financing available.

The Confederate soldier was peculiar in that he was ever ready to fight, but never ready to submit to the routine duty and discipline of the camp or the march. The soldiers were determined to be soldiers after their own notions, and do their duty, for the love of it, as they thought best. Carlton McCarthy
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

Davis
Member Avatar
Fulla-Carp
Better than KEF? Those are fighting words.

George K
Member Avatar
Finally
Davis
Feb 12 2018, 08:27 AM
Better than KEF? Those are fighting words.
Yeah, I thought so too.

Also, as of right now, you *can't* put two in a room and have them work like a stereo. Supposedly, that's coming with a software update.

And the KEF speakers, at least for a pair, are comparably priced to a pair of Homepods.

I'll wait...

- Mik, 6/14/08

- David Burge, 7/29/18

Davis
Member Avatar
Fulla-Carp
My KEFs are 30 years old. Unfortunately they don’t get the use they deserve anymore. They are tower speakers, survived many attempts from Mrs. Davis to remove. Now they are art stands. :lol2:

Copper
Member Avatar
Shortstop

My Cambridge Soundworks FPS 2000 computer speakers are probably over 20 years old and working like new.

These are from back in the day when you would buy the Sound Blaster card so you could have sound on your PC. I think the Sound Blaster package also added a CD player as a futuristic add-on for the PC.

The Confederate soldier was peculiar in that he was ever ready to fight, but never ready to submit to the routine duty and discipline of the camp or the march. The soldiers were determined to be soldiers after their own notions, and do their duty, for the love of it, as they thought best. Carlton McCarthy

kluurs
Member Avatar
Fulla-Carp
I've owned KEF in the past - my first pair of decent speakers. I moved to B&W later. Problem with the Apple speaker isn't the sound quality but the functionality (or lack thereof).

Davis
Member Avatar
Fulla-Carp
An alternate viewpoint:

https://apple.news/AnEpowcOBQCa5i2T_WxdjVg

Copper
Member Avatar
Shortstop

https://www.facebook.com/wsj/videos/10157342615443128/

George K
Member Avatar
Finally
About a year ago, I bought a pair of bluetooth speakers from a company called (get this!) SoundFreaq. They were...okay. However, getting them to pair for stereo playback was iffy, and they needed to be in "line of sight" of each other. Sound was pretty good, but not spectacular. I ended up selling them on eBay because they were not the greatest.

I plan to look at the HomePod in the next couple of weeks. With my interest in classical music, it will be interesting to see how they perform. If I don't like it, I'll take advantage of the return policy. If I do, I may spring for a second one.

- Mik, 6/14/08

- David Burge, 7/29/18

kluurs
Member Avatar
Fulla-Carp
George K
Feb 14 2018, 03:24 PM
About a year ago, I bought a pair of bluetooth speakers from a company called (get this!) SoundFreaq. They were...okay. However, getting them to pair for stereo playback was iffy, and they needed to be in "line of sight" of each other. Sound was pretty good, but not spectacular. I ended up selling them on eBay because they were not the greatest.

I plan to look at the HomePod in the next couple of weeks. With my interest in classical music, it will be interesting to see how they perform. If I don't like it, I'll take advantage of the return policy. If I do, I may spring for a second one.
Have you listened to Sonos? The market for this kind of speaker is going to pick up a great deal in the next year. From what I've read about the Apple HomePod, it really locks you into the Apple universe more than their previous products.

My Echo can work with my main system - let's me literally have access to millions of "songs" via Amazon, Spotify, Apple, etc. Not sure I want to locked into an Apple universe.

George K
Member Avatar
Finally
Kluurs, do you subscribe to Apple Music? I haven't subscribed to any streaming service (other than Classics Today - which is great).

Which Sonos are you talking about. I listened to the Sonos 1 at Best Buy and I wasn't impressed - at al.

And yeah, HomePod locks you in, though Spotify is available through a simple workaround. I wonder if Classics today would be available through AirPlay.

The other attractive thing is the Homekit integration. I got a bunch of smart bulbs, and it's nice to have various lighting setups for different situations via Siri. Alexa from my Echo Dot works as well, but seems a bit more fussy.

- Mik, 6/14/08

- David Burge, 7/29/18

John Galt
Fulla-Carp
This review loses points because the author hasn’t listened to the HomePod (duh) but I think it’s a good comparison of the functionality of the HP vs the Sonos

http://www.businessinsider.com/sonos-one-vs-apple-homepod-2018-2

Edited by John Galt, Feb 14 2018, 05:46 PM.
Let us begin anew, remembering on both sides that civility is not a sign of weakness.

George K
Member Avatar
Finally
John Galt
Feb 14 2018, 05:46 PM
This review loses points because the author hasn’t listened to the HomePod
Quote:

Apple finally released the HomePod smart speaker this month, but it's not looking like the device to buy.

Before the HomePod, other smart speakers like Google Home, Amazon's Echo, and the Sonos One were playing music from Spotify, Google Music, Pandora, Amazon Prime Music, and other streaming services. The HomePod is the first to let you control Apple Music with your voice, but that's it.

If you don't use Apple Music, there is no reason to buy a HomePod.

The HomePod does seem to have one thing going for it, though. I haven't heard it myself, but the HomePod supposedly has the best sound out of any other smart speaker.
That's where I stopped reading.

It's a *SPEAKER* FFS.

I don't want to hear a review of A SPEAKER that the "critic" hasn't listened to.
Quote:

even if Apple's HomePod does have superior sound — you'd have to test it to judge — you still won't be disappointed with the quality of the Sonos One.
Aw, c'mon, man!

I'm invested in the Apple ecosystem, so, with that disclosure aside, one has to consider what one wants from a speaker, or even a "smart speaker": Good sound, or the ability to set multiple timers.

I'll take the superior sound.

Every. Time.

Sonos doesn't work with Android phones?

I don't care.

The Sonos is cheaper.

Quote:

A single Sonos One speaker costs less, is more versatile and flexible, and has great sound.
Yeah, it does have great sound, according to you. I wasn't impressed. And, by your own admission, you haven't heard the HomePod, so...shut up.

Quote:

The HomePod is for those who are all-in with the Apple ecosystem. They own an iPhone and probably a Mac computer and/or an iPad. They use Siri. And they also use Apple Music exclusively.
I can stream my iTunes playlist to a HomePod via Airplay, Apple Music not involved.

And, I don't listen to NPR, etc that way, so, for me, it's a non-issue.

It's about the quality of the sound (which I haven't heard yet). If it's better than the Sonos (which I have heard), I'll probably jump, because for my needs, it fits the bill.

- Mik, 6/14/08

- David Burge, 7/29/18

John Galt
Fulla-Carp

Well, I did start with a warning.... :lol2:

Gotta admit I almost stopped reading, too, but thought the subsequent functional comparisons might be of value if you listened to both speakers and thought the Sonos sound quality made it a viable option for you...
Let us begin anew, remembering on both sides that civility is not a sign of weakness.

George K
Member Avatar
Finally
John Galt
Feb 14 2018, 06:06 PM
thought the Sonos sound quality made it a viable option for you...
They were...okay. Not great, but okay.

I would trust Kluurs' opinion on quality (the man who said, as I pointed to his speakers, said, "This is what happens when you don't have children."). I'd love to see what he thinks of the Sonos vs the HomePod.

Also, I would wonder what he'd think of the KEFs connected via an Echo Dot (of course, you'd need to buy an amplified to drive the KEFs as well).

ETA: I also looked at Consumer Reports' comments on the HomePod. They found them "bass-heavy." I find that interesting in light of the review/evaluation that the guy on Reddit had. His measurements (not subjective "feelings") indicate a remarkably flat performance of the HomePod. Back in the day when I had better hearing, and could hear above 16K Hz, that would have been mighty impressive.

(GeorgeK who grew up with a pair of AR-15s in his bedroom)

ETA 2: Speakers are pretty damn subjective, after all, and the Sonos 1s didn't "move" me - or a lot of air either, fwiw.
Edited by George K, Feb 14 2018, 06:13 PM.

- Mik, 6/14/08

- David Burge, 7/29/18

John Galt
Fulla-Carp
Guess it boils down to what sounds good to you.

Me? I can’t tell the difference between **** and shinola when it comes to audio equipment. It’s not all bad, though....means I don’t spend much on speakers and other equipment...

:whome:
Edited by John Galt, Feb 14 2018, 06:17 PM.

George K
Member Avatar
Finally
John Galt
Feb 14 2018, 06:16 PM
I don’t spend much on speakers and other equipment...
That's because you have two X chromosomes. :lol2:

In 1972, I bought an Akai GX 330D 10 ½" reel-to-reel tape deck. This was pre-Dolby, mind you. It was great, and could record on a ¼" tape at 7 ½ inches per second. I opted for half that speed and it still sounded great.

In that year, I paid $325, which was about half the money I made working in a factory that summer (got it at Musicraft - remember them, Kluurs?). That translates to about $1900 in today's dollars.

But, like I said, I have a Y chromosome. So there.

- Mik, 6/14/08

- David Burge, 7/29/18

Copper
Member Avatar
Shortstop
Go ask the Magnolia guy at Best Buy about this.

It's worth the trip just to get a demo of their equipment. I have bought sound equipment there. You might need a home equity loan to buy most of their stuff, but I found them to be friendly and informative.

If they go to all the trouble to maintain brick and mortar you might as well take advantage.

https://www.bestbuy.com/site/electronics/magnolia-home-theater/pcmcat139900050002.c?id=pcmcat139900050002&pageType=REDIRECT&issolr=1&searchRedirect=magnolia

EDIT: They do have some bargain equipment. Ask for a demo of the amplifier that is full of vacuum tubes - just like the stuff you bought in college.

Edited by Copper, Feb 14 2018, 06:34 PM.

George K
Member Avatar
Finally
Interesting: Smaller Margins
Quote:

The HomePod’s $349 price point was somewhat controversial last summer when Apple announced the device, especially in comparison to its competitors in the market. A new report from Bloomberg, however, shows that Apple is operating at smaller margins than its competitors…

According to the report, which cites analysis by TechInsights and IHS Markit, the HomePod costs Apple $216 to build. With the device retailing for $349, Apple is operating at a 38 percent margin – which is significantly smaller than the margins on iPhone and Apple Watch.

For comparison’s sake, Google sells its Google Home smart speaker at a 66 percent margin, while the Amazon Echo is sold at a 56 percent margin. It’s incredibly unusual for Apple to sell its products at margins smaller than its competitors, but the sound and microphone equipment within the HomePod is driving that price up.

The microphones, tweeters, woofer, and power management parts inside the HomePod are said to cost Apple $58 in total, while the lighting system used to display the Siri animation and other smaller parts make up an addition $60. From there, the A8 chip costs $25.50 and housing and other items tack on an additional $25. Lastly, “manufacturing, testing, and packaging” cost $17.50.

TechInsight’s costing manager speculates that Apple is hoping to make up for the smaller margins by selling in volume:
Quote:

“Apple is compressing their margins a bit, wanting to go big or go home,” said Al Cowsky, TechInsight’s costing manager. “In doing so, I suspect they reduced the selling price from a normal Apple margin in order to sell more units on volume.”
Apple sells the iPhone X at 64 percent margins, while the iPhone 8 is sold at 59 percent margins, thus making the HomePod an outlier in terms of Apple pricing. As always its important to take these sort of pricing estimates with a grain of salt, but they do provide an interesting look at a rough idea of what a product costs Apple.

- Mik, 6/14/08

- David Burge, 7/29/18

Big John
Member Avatar
Senior Carp

Oh HOMEpod!!!!

It's all so confusing to me.... :)

Aqua Letifer
Member Avatar
ZOOOOOM!
George K
Feb 14 2018, 06:22 PM
That's because you have two X chromosomes and it’s no longer 1985. :lol2:

FIFY
I cite irreconcilable differences.

kluurs
Member Avatar
Fulla-Carp
It's always been interesting to me that women are said to have better hearing, have at least as great an interest in music - and yet...almost zero interest in the quality of sound coming from a stereo system. Most women I've encountered are more interested in the aesthetic of the stereo system than the sound quality -"too many wires" - or "too complicated to operate" or "don't want anything taking up a lot of space." I'm blessed with a spouse who has no qualms about Easter Island sized speakers in the living room.
Edited by kluurs, Feb 15 2018, 08:39 AM.

John Galt
Fulla-Carp
More info for George....

https://www.tomsguide.com/us/sonos-one-damages-wood,news-26628.html

George K
Member Avatar
Finally
Apparently it's the silicone on the base of the Sonos and HomePod speakers. Also, it seems that it's those wood finishes that are Danish Oil and other oil-stained woods.

- Mik, 6/14/08

- David Burge, 7/29/18

Go to Next Page
« Previous Topic · The New Coffee Room · Next Topic »
Add Reply
  • Pages: