Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]
Welcome to The New Coffee Room. We hope you enjoy your visit.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use. If you join our community, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customizing your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free.

Join our community!

If you're already a member please log in to your account to access all of our features:

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
  • Pages:
OLYMPICS!!
Topic Started: Feb 9 2018, 07:37 PM (406 Views)
Rainman
Member Avatar
Fulla-Carp
Opening ceremonies tonight, pretty cool!
Both Koreas marching in together (again).
1200 drones forming 3-D displays in the sky.
I'm looking forward to it all!
Online Profile Quote Post Goto Top

Mikhailoh
Member Avatar
If you want trouble, find yourself a redhead
Something vaguely unsettling about drones being used in such displays.
Once in his life, every man is entitled to fall madly in love with a gorgeous redhead - Lucille Ball
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

Jolly
Member Avatar
The Truth is out there.
Mikhailoh
Feb 9 2018, 07:42 PM
Something vaguely unsettling about drones being used in such displays.
Especially on the Korean Peninsula... ;)
The main obstacle to a stable and just world order is the United States.- George Soros

Copper
Member Avatar
Shortstop

It's just not the same without Jim McKay.

The Confederate soldier was peculiar in that he was ever ready to fight, but never ready to submit to the routine duty and discipline of the camp or the march. The soldiers were determined to be soldiers after their own notions, and do their duty, for the love of it, as they thought best. Carlton McCarthy

jon-nyc
Member Avatar
Cheers
Itís not the same without Howard Cosell.

Copper
Member Avatar
Shortstop

My first work bonus back in 1977 went to buy a 24" color console TV so I could watch Howard Cosell on Monday nights. He was OK.

The Confederate soldier was peculiar in that he was ever ready to fight, but never ready to submit to the routine duty and discipline of the camp or the march. The soldiers were determined to be soldiers after their own notions, and do their duty, for the love of it, as they thought best. Carlton McCarthy

Copper
Member Avatar
Shortstop

Channel 591 on my FIOS is the Olympics Channel, it is not NBC.

So far it looks like random brief news stories about the games. And it looks like no advertising.

Rainman
Member Avatar
Fulla-Carp
I'm watching speed skating on NBC. Prelims / relay.
Now, THAT looks like a fun sport!

Rainman
Member Avatar
Fulla-Carp
Figure skating is so much like piano.

You practice practice practice, work work work.

And then you go out, give it your all, and either bring the house down, or fall on your ass.

Rainman
Member Avatar
Fulla-Carp
Pairs' Free Skate.
Canada. W00t!
Taking pair skating to an Art.
Wonderful to watch, I confess I'm glued to the TV.

Rainman
Member Avatar
Fulla-Carp
Russia.
Her knee hit the ice.

This is like a pianist hitting a wrong note.

I don't care who wins, I love the Art of what they do.

Copper
Member Avatar
Shortstop

Posted Image

Davis
Member Avatar
Senior Carp
I seriously think I just sat through 10 minutes of commercials. Its approaching unwatchable.

Davis
Member Avatar
Senior Carp
And I just saw one jump and some skaters warming up and now back to commercials. Absolutely incredible.

Copper
Member Avatar
Shortstop
Davis
Feb 11 2018, 07:26 PM
And I just saw one jump and some skaters warming up and now back to commercials. Absolutely incredible.

They probably negotiated the cost of the TV rights way back in the day when people watched network TV.

This is their big chance to sell some time.

Rainman
Member Avatar
Fulla-Carp
You're right, too many commercials!

I guess I don't notice, as I have it on while working, so I hit the mute button as an automatic reflex.

Still is a thrill to watch these mostly very young athletes, regardless of which country they represent.

Arielle just fell snowboarding (halfpipe). Gets a second run as part of qualifying.

Edited by Rainman, Feb 11 2018, 09:09 PM.

Rainman
Member Avatar
Fulla-Carp
Interesting. Watching figure skating tonight, and it seems like so many, including Russia, use classic U.S. pop music. Elvis, Huey Lewis, etc., lots of Beatles classics (thank you U.K.).
Curious, no rap or hip-hop. Why the disconnect from contemporary "music?"
Maybe it just sux?

sue
Member Avatar
HOLY CARP!!!
Rainman
Feb 11 2018, 11:20 PM
Interesting. Watching figure skating tonight, and it seems like so many, including Russia, use classic U.S. pop music. Elvis, Huey Lewis, etc., lots of Beatles classics (thank you U.K.).
Maybe it just sux?

I suspect the age and musical tastes of the judges would be part of that decision process.
Those surface dwellers are such rubes, curled up in bed or something equally inane. - Horace

Davis
Member Avatar
Senior Carp
sue
Feb 12 2018, 08:18 AM
Rainman
Maybe it just sux?

I suspect the age and musical tastes of the judges would be part of that decision process.
Also the audience. That music is for the snowboarding clan. :smokin:

Luke's Dad
Member Avatar
Emperor Pengin
Davis
Feb 12 2018, 08:30 AM
sue
Feb 12 2018, 08:18 AM
Rainman
Maybe it just sux?

Also the audience. That music is for the snowboarding clan. :smokin:
No, snowboarders listen to metal.
The problem with having an open mind is that people keep trying to put things in it.

Luke's Dad
Member Avatar
Emperor Pengin
Biathlon has to be one of the oddest Olympic Sports. Let's take a sport, and just toss in guns. What's next? Firing 30mm Anti Aircraft guns between laps of the breast stroke events?
The problem with having an open mind is that people keep trying to put things in it.

Aqua Letifer
Member Avatar
ZOOOOOM!
Luke's Dad
Feb 13 2018, 07:52 AM
Biathlon has to be one of the oddest Olympic Sports. Let's take a sport, and just toss in guns. What's next? Firing 30mm Anti Aircraft guns between laps of the breast stroke events?
Itís not. Itís a very old sport and hard as all hell. Makes the hurdles look like a walk to the fridge in comparison.
I cite irreconcilable differences.

Rainman
Member Avatar
Fulla-Carp
I was watching tonight. Figure skating certainly seems to use a lot of American pop music, early rock & roll.

And then. . .

I got bored and changed the channel.

I GOT BORED WATCHING THE OLYMPICS!! :confused:

aaargh, what's wrong with me. Maybe just not in the mood, given Florida shooting today, dunno.

Jolly
Member Avatar
The Truth is out there.
Luke's Dad
Feb 13 2018, 07:52 AM
One of the oldest Olympic sports. Takes a heckuva athlete to do it. Try to hold a rifle steady after you've knocked your heart rate up to a rapid pace and your muscles are fatigued.

The only gripe I have with it, is that since the sport has it's origins in military and hunting skills, the rifles used should not be highly specialized, but should be more of a rifle type used in hunting or a military issue.
The main obstacle to a stable and just world order is the United States.- George Soros

Rainman
Member Avatar
Fulla-Carp
OK. I see the responsibility for this thread is all mine. The rest of you are just no fun.

So, tonight, I was wondering -- when will the Americans show up?
And in the women's downhill, there would be one run, then commercials twice as long. Over and over. My wife even grew tired of my repeated complaining (and she's used to putting up with a lot of complaining). And the one gal from the U.S. was throwing up before her run. WTF? Is that the Streisand effect? <ha>.

I have loved watching the Olympics over the years, winter or summer games! Something's bothering me, not sure what. It doesn't seem to be a Big Deal like in the past. It's different. Maybe it's something different in how it's being covered, maybe the hype is not enough hype. Maybe there is too much SJW in the commercials. I hate commercials.

Of course I am an expert in all of these sports, they are all my hobbies. That's why I enjoy it so much.
Like looking at home videos or something. :hat:
'scuse me while I look in the mirror again and flex.

Go to Next Page
« Previous Topic · The New Coffee Room · Next Topic »
Add Reply
  • Pages: