Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]
Welcome to The New Coffee Room. We hope you enjoy your visit.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use. If you join our community, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customizing your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free.

Join our community!

If you're already a member please log in to your account to access all of our features:

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
This week...
Topic Started: Jan 29 2018, 09:35 AM (229 Views)
Aqua Letifer
Member Avatar
ZOOOOOM!
On Netflix February 2. Jolly mentioned it earlier.

Posted Image

In 2004 or so, I was an usher at a buddyís wedding. (He married my undergrad lab partner, come to think of it.) I was seated at a table with a lot of his old friends I hadnít met before. One guyís wife mentioned she was a Sci-fi nerd, and yeah okay, she was more interesting to talk to than her husband so I asked her if she had read anything good lately. She said absolutely: Altered Carbon by Richard K. Morgan.

Never heard of it, I said, but I remembered her recco after the wedding and found the book in a B&N.

Great stuff. Morgan tried his hand at a few mystery novels before his breaking into Sci-fi and it really shows; AC is Cyberpunk meets John le Carrť. Hell of a fun read.

So much so I wrote him a fan letter. And what do you know, he responded. We sent a few e-mails back and forth, and a few more when his next few novels were published. (He also got me into Iain Banks.) One absolute hell of a nice guy.

According to talk on his website, he really likes how the show came about. The director was a huge fan of the series, wanted his input and Netflix was more than generous with giving them the leeway they wanted.

Can not wait until Friday.
I cite irreconcilable differences.
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

Optimistic
Member Avatar
HOLY CARP!!!
This looks fantastic, and Iīm in need of a new show.
PHOTOS

I must have a prodigious quantity of mind; it takes me as much as a week, sometimes, to make it up.
- Mark Twain

We shall not cease from exploration
And the end of all our exploring
Will be to arrive where we started
And know the place for the first time.
-T. S. Eliot

George K
Member Avatar
Finally
Optimistic
Jan 29 2018, 05:27 PM
Iīm in need of a new show.
Amazon Prime: https://www.amazon.com/Dulcinea/dp/B018BZ3SCM/ref=sr_1_1?s=instant-video&ie=UTF8&qid=1517275997&sr=1-1&keywords=the+expanse

Do it!
A guide to GKSR: Click

"Now look here, you Baltic gas passer... "
- Mik, 6/14/08

Nothing is as effective as homeopathy.

Given the way acetaminophen and alcohol donít mix, I havenít kept a bottle of Tylenol anywhere in the house for years.

Optimistic
Member Avatar
HOLY CARP!!!
Ooh, that sounds good, too. BUT -- the Amazon Prime I have is a side account off of my momīs, and Prime Video is sadly not included.

Probably for the best, though. I think Iīd be frozen with indecision if I had to choose from more than just what Netflix offers to watch.
PHOTOS

I must have a prodigious quantity of mind; it takes me as much as a week, sometimes, to make it up.
- Mark Twain

We shall not cease from exploration
And the end of all our exploring
Will be to arrive where we started
And know the place for the first time.
-T. S. Eliot

George K
Member Avatar
Finally
Aqua Letifer
Jan 29 2018, 09:35 AM
Aaannnd?

- Mik, 6/14/08

Given the way acetaminophen and alcohol donít mix, I havenít kept a bottle of Tylenol anywhere in the house for years.

Aqua Letifer
Member Avatar
ZOOOOOM!
George K
Feb 12 2018, 04:27 PM
Aqua Letifer
Jan 29 2018, 09:35 AM
Aaannnd?
Eh, they did alright. :lol:

Over-indulgent at times, and in my opinion they focused on the wrong stuff. What made Envoys so scary wasnít their ability to kill a roomfull of guys, it was that they were sociopaths who worked for the state. (Yeah the books were different in that regard.) Couple that with bodies being arbitrary and you never know who youíre really talking to.

That was the selling part of the plot, I thought; what set it apart from other sci-fi. They barely got into it on the show and when they did it didnít convince me.

Still very fun to watch, though.

George K
Member Avatar
Finally
Without knowing the backstory, I've found the first two episodes a bit disjointed. A lot of it is style over substance (Do we *really* need more slo-mo bullet hits? No, we don't).

Just finding the narrative confusing in the beginning.

I'll stick with it for another couple of episodes and see how it unfolds.

- Mik, 6/14/08

Aqua Letifer
Member Avatar
ZOOOOOM!
George K
Feb 13 2018, 07:10 AM
Without knowing the backstory, I've found the first two episodes a bit disjointed. A lot of it is style over substance (Do we *really* need more slo-mo bullet hits? No, we don't).

Just finding the narrative confusing in the beginning.

I'll stick with it for another couple of episodes and see how it unfolds.
Yeah, they screwed up there, but it does get a lot easier to follow.

George K
Member Avatar
Finally
I'm most of the way through it. Well done, for a non-linear story-telling style.

But...as you mentioned, I think some of the plot points were understated. For example, when Kovacs is talking to Bancroft's wife, he doesn't realize that it's the daughter who sleeved her stack into a clone of the wife. I found the whole interaction of Ortega with her grandmother who's been resleeved into Dimi 2 quite disturbing/amusing.

Yeah, not knowing *exactly* whom you're talking to can be an issue, amirite?

I'd also like to know more of the backstory of the uprising against The Protectorate.

Still, it's unlike anything I've seen, and I'll probably end up reading the book to get a different take on the story. Thanks for the recommendation.

- Mik, 6/14/08

Aqua Letifer
Member Avatar
ZOOOOOM!
George K
Feb 17 2018, 06:48 AM
But...as you mentioned, I think some of the plot points were understated. For example, when Kovacs is talking to Bancroft's wife, he doesn't realize that it's the daughter who sleeved her stack into a clone of the wife.
Yeah, THAT stuff they should have played up more.

Quote:

I found the whole interaction of Ortega with her grandmother who's been resleeved into Dimi 2 quite disturbing/amusing.

Yeah that guy sure got his acting mileage in during the show. :lol:

Quote:

Yeah, not knowing *exactly* whom you're talking to can be an issue, amirite?

Yep, thatís the whole deal. Sure, Envoys were given fun bodies to mess around in, but the point was that they learned how to take on personasóget a personís walk and inflections down, etc.

Quote:

Still, it's unlike anything I've seen, and I'll probably end up reading the book to get a different take on the story. Thanks for the recommendation.

In my opinion, everything you wish theyíd have done better or do more of, the bookís got.

Itís actually a trilogy. All three are great.

George K
Member Avatar
Finally
Aqua Letifer
Feb 17 2018, 07:00 AM
Itís actually a trilogy. All three are great.
Yeah, googling around, I see that the 2nd is set 50 years in the future from the 1st.

I'm getting my Sci-Fi fix by going through Red Mars. So far, it's...okay. Pretty generic Sci-Fi stuff about colonizing Mars. I'm about a quarter of the way through, and it's not grabbed me the way Anderson's Aurora did. I'll stick with it for a while more, but I'm not optimistic. If I give up, Altered Carbon it is.

Hard to find Sci-Fi that's as transformative as the Ender's Game series, Dune or Windup Girl. Here's hoping that Altered Carbon is.

- Mik, 6/14/08

Aqua Letifer
Member Avatar
ZOOOOOM!
I think it is. (Like I said, he tried crime for awhile before Sci-Fi, and it really shows.)

Let me know what you think once you pick it up. If you want hard Sci-Fi, well, thatís what it is. :)

George K
Member Avatar
Finally
Oh....yes! Just started it this morning. What a great read.

I found the series fascinating, but disjointed in its non-linear style, making it confusing - so much so, that I had to go back and rewatch stuff. For example, in the beginning when Kovacs checks (did you see what I did there?) into the hotel and gets assaulted by Dimi, the whole "double sleeving" stuff is confusing in the series. Clearly explained in the novel.

Gonna really enjoy this one.
Edited by George K, Feb 18 2018, 09:29 AM.

- Mik, 6/14/08

« Previous Topic · The New Coffee Room · Next Topic »
Add Reply