Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]
Welcome to The New Coffee Room. We hope you enjoy your visit.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use. If you join our community, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customizing your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free.

Join our community!

If you're already a member please log in to your account to access all of our features:

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
  • Pages:
6978 Dead
Topic Started: Jan 17 2018, 06:35 PM (391 Views)
Jolly
Member Avatar
Geaux Tigers!
After about 1 year's use, I have a HP 6978 that is dead. Good reviews, worked ok while it was alive, but now dead.

I'd like to have another AIO. Anything out there for the $100 neighborhood that doesn't drink ink and may possibly last a little longer?
The main obstacle to a stable and just world order is the United States.- George Soros
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

George K
Member Avatar
Finally
I have a Canon Pixma MX920 that I'm happy with. It occasionally needs to have its nozzles cleaned, but otherwise it's OK.

I use an HP Laserjet for 90% of my printing, but the one is OK for scanning and the (rare) color printing.

https://www.staples.com/canon+pixma+mx920/directory_canon+pixma+mx920

The scanner will scan (I think) 50 sheets at a time.
A guide to GKSR: Click

"Now look here, you Baltic gas passer... "
- Mik, 6/14/08

Nothing is as effective as homeopathy.

"There are 57 different genders, but politics is binary."
- David Burge, 7/29/18

Mikhailoh
Member Avatar
If you want trouble, find yourself a redhead
Cheap printers are a nightmare. Go higher dollar and you will be happier.
"I have strong feelings about gun control. If there's a gun around, I want to be controlling it." Clint Eastwood, Pink Cadillac

George K
Member Avatar
Finally
Mikhailoh
Jan 17 2018, 06:55 PM
Cheap printers are a nightmare. Go higher dollar and you will be happier.
OK, what's a good-ish mid-range inkjet AIO?

- Mik, 6/14/08

- David Burge, 7/29/18

Riley
Member Avatar
HOLY CARP!!!
I need a new printer too, my Brother inkjet barely prints with brand new ink.

Should I go laser instead next time?

George K
Member Avatar
Finally
Riley
Jan 17 2018, 07:06 PM
I need a new printer too, my Brother inkjet barely prints with brand new ink.

Should I go laser instead next time?
If you're printing only black, then, yes.

However, I occasionally want to print color.

I have always bought HP and Canon printers because the nozzles for printing are in the cartridge, not the printer itself. If they get clogged from seldom use, it's no biggie to either clean or replace the cartridge.

OTOH, printers from other companies, Epson, eg., have the print nozzles in the printer itself. I don't know about Brothers printers. If you don't use it often, the nozzles can get clogged when the ink dries out, destroying the printer.

- Mik, 6/14/08

- David Burge, 7/29/18

George K
Member Avatar
Finally
http://www.inkmagic.com/shopcontent.asp?type=Unclog_Brother_Inkjet_Printhead_Nozzles

- Mik, 6/14/08

- David Burge, 7/29/18

Axtremus
Member Avatar
HOLY CARP!!!
No ink jet. Go with laser.

The only thing inkjet does better than laser is printing photographs (and you have to use good paper, the sort that's customized for photographic prints, to get good results).

For all other applications (including color "business graphics"), laser wins.

Jolly
Member Avatar
Geaux Tigers!
If it wasn't for needing an AIO, you guys have no idea how many good monochrome lazers I chunked....And how many toners... Let's just say you it would have taken three Walmart shopping carts just to put the toners in...
The main obstacle to a stable and just world order is the United States.- George Soros

George K
Member Avatar
Finally
You need color?

D2 has a HP laser AIO that's pretty nice.

- Mik, 6/14/08

- David Burge, 7/29/18

Jolly
Member Avatar
Geaux Tigers!
George K
Jan 17 2018, 07:17 PM
You need color?

D2 has a HP laser AIO that's pretty nice.
No, the wife wants it.

I choose not to plant the flag and die on small hills...

Copper
Member Avatar
Shortstop

I use an HP 842C on my desk, it must be at least 10 years old. HP stopped making the cartridges years ago, if you can find one they cost a bundle. So I'm using cheapo knock-off cartridges from Ireland.

One of these days it will break and I'll toss it. I'm sure I didn't pay much for it, maybe $100.

Inkjet printers with scanners are so cheap now they could be considered disposable. I probably only print a few pages per month so a cheapo has been OK for me.

My wife has the better faster printer/scanner upstairs I can use if I need it.

The Confederate soldier was peculiar in that he was ever ready to fight, but never ready to submit to the routine duty and discipline of the camp or the march. The soldiers were determined to be soldiers after their own notions, and do their duty, for the love of it, as they thought best. Carlton McCarthy

Mikhailoh
Member Avatar
If you want trouble, find yourself a redhead
Right now? HP 8720. We have stayed with the 8xxx series for probably seven years now. High performance, trouble free. Last four to five years heavy use.
"I have strong feelings about gun control. If there's a gun around, I want to be controlling it." Clint Eastwood, Pink Cadillac

Jolly
Member Avatar
Geaux Tigers!
Most of the printing at the house is music, receipts and occasional shower or birthday party invites...

Axtremus
Member Avatar
HOLY CARP!!!
I use multi-function color laser printer.
What you call AIO (all-in-one), I call multi-function.
I have been using a Dell 3115cn for over ten years and it's still going strong.
And I have added a Dell c2665dnf since mid-2014.

Both of them are multi-function color laser thingies that can scan and print and make copies in colors, and they can scan and print across the local network.

They can also terminate a phone line and handle fax, but I never bother using either with fax. (I use a separate Internet fax service that better fits my needs.)

The c2665dnf also natively supports things like Apple's AirPrint, Google's Cloud Print, and work with various Cloud-based file storage services. If you though "wouldn't it be nice if I can just print this right from my phone/tablet," this thing can do it. (And frankly so can most new printers these days, once you get above the cheapest of the cheap models. It's just software.)

What's hardware dependent are: can it print double-sided, can it scan double-sided?

Larry
Member Avatar
Mmmmmmm, pie!
Quote:

It occasionally needs to have its nozzle cleaned

Small world!!.....
Of the Pokatwat Tribe

Klaus
Member Avatar
HOLY CARP!!!
Jolly
Jan 17 2018, 06:35 PM
After about 1 year's use, I have a HP 6978 that is dead. Good reviews, worked ok while it was alive, but now dead.

I'd like to have another AIO. Anything out there for the $100 neighborhood that doesn't drink ink and may possibly last a little longer?
Before I saw George's answer I had no clue whether this is a post about some catastrophe, gun models, or pet hamsters.
Trifonov Fleisher Klaus Sokolov Zimmerman
Online Profile Quote Post Goto Top

Klaus
Member Avatar
HOLY CARP!!!
Axtremus
Jan 17 2018, 07:11 PM
No ink jet. Go with laser.

The only thing inkjet does better than laser is printing photographs (and you have to use good paper, the sort that's customized for photographic prints, to get good results).

For all other applications (including color "business graphics"), laser wins.
+1

If I want to print good photos, I use a printing service anyway, which will also let me print photos in larger formats and better quality than a <$500 inkjet printer.
Trifonov Fleisher Klaus Sokolov Zimmerman
Online Profile Quote Post Goto Top

taiwan_girl
Member Avatar
Fulla-Carp
Would one of the "all in one" printers be good for scanning photographs? Until recently, I took many "film" photographs (and still sometimes do). I would like to scan the photographs (or the negatives). What would be a good machine to use for this?

Also, I assume it is better to scan the negatives than the actual photographs if possible?

Copper
Member Avatar
Shortstop

Print Free for Life

https://www.staples.com/hp-instant-ink-15-page-plan-print-free-for-life-enrollment-card/product_2769081

Quote:

Product Details

NEVER RUN OUT OF INK AGAIN

Print 15 pages free every month, pay as you go after that or upgrade to another plan.

Eligible on select HP inkjet printers regularly priced at $99 or less: ENVY 4520, HP ENVY 5549, HP OfficeJet 3830, HP OfficeJet 4650, and HP DeskJet 3755 series. (Printers require direct connection to the internet for program participation. Internet access sold separately.)

The Confederate soldier was peculiar in that he was ever ready to fight, but never ready to submit to the routine duty and discipline of the camp or the march. The soldiers were determined to be soldiers after their own notions, and do their duty, for the love of it, as they thought best. Carlton McCarthy

Jolly
Member Avatar
Geaux Tigers!
Well,bought a Canon very similar to George's. Almost sprang for a nicer Canon at $200 bucks, that would have print costs of one cent per b&w page.

But decided with my volume, I might run into nozzle problems with the bigger cartridges.

Manufacturers always overrate their cartridges, but a standard Canon vs. a standard HP or Epson black ink usually was$6/cartridge cheaper.

George K
Member Avatar
Finally
Which one, Jolly? I imagine mine will finally die, and I'd like to have something on the horizon.

- Mik, 6/14/08

- David Burge, 7/29/18

Jolly
Member Avatar
Geaux Tigers!
George K
Jan 19 2018, 10:06 AM
Which one, Jolly? I imagine mine will finally die, and I'd like to have something on the horizon.
Pretty much the same one you have:

https://www.officedepot.com/a/products/524666/Canon-PIXMA-MX922-Wireless-Inkjet-All/

They had another Canon for$199, that I really wavered on...the cost of the ink was cheap on a cost per page basis - one cent/b&w. But since I don't print a lot, and don't print pics, I decided to go with a higher cost per page, cheaper printer.

If the wife hadn't insisted on color, I would have gone the monochrome laser, for less than $200.

xenon
Member Avatar
Senior Carp
Did you already bite the bullet, Jolly?

Saw this one on sale today:

https://www.adorama.com/rcspc261sfnw.html?sdtid=11179155&emailprice=t&utm_medium=Affiliate&utm_source=rflaid62905

Jolly
Member Avatar
Geaux Tigers!
Thanks, but I did.

I even did something I almost never do...For $12.99, I bought the no-hassle bring-it-back-swap-it-out two year warranty.

Go to Next Page
« Previous Topic · The New Coffee Room · Next Topic »
Add Reply
  • Pages: