Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]
Welcome to The New Coffee Room. We hope you enjoy your visit.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use. If you join our community, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customizing your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free.

Join our community!

If you're already a member please log in to your account to access all of our features:

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
Remember when holiday sales numbers was a thing
Topic Started: Jan 12 2018, 04:59 PM (148 Views)
Davis
Member Avatar
Senior Carp
Now it’s barely worth a mention.

https://www.cnbc.com/2018/01/12/strongest-holiday-sales-since-great-recession-up-5-point-5-percent-topping-views.html

Any theories why?
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

jon-nyc
Member Avatar
Cheers
They’re still a thing but brick and mortar retail has just diminished in importance relative to online.
Online Profile Quote Post Goto Top

John Galt
Fulla-Carp
Davis
Jan 12 2018, 04:59 PM
Not sure why you think it's not a thing. Every major (and minor) news outlet has a story on it. Maybe U R not looking in the right places.

NYT: Holiday Retail Sales Soared, With Biggest Increase Since Recession
Chicago Tribune: The numbers are in: Retailers had the best holiday season in years
Reuters: US holiday spending surges to 12-year high, helped by tax cuts
Bloomberg: It Was a Great Holiday Season for Retail
CNBC: Strongest holiday sales since Great Recession, up 5.5%, topping industry's forecast
LA Times: US retail sales rise in December, capping a strong year in spending
WaPo: The numbers are in: Retailers had the best holiday season in years
Business Insider: Retail stocks are rising after a report said last year's holiday season was 'better than anything we could have hoped for'
Philly.com: December's retail sales were the best in three years; Philly retailers did well too

Edited by John Galt, Jan 12 2018, 06:06 PM.
Let us begin anew, remembering on both sides that civility is not a sign of weakness.

Davis
Member Avatar
Senior Carp
Haha. You googled some articles. We have the strongest economy in a very long time and I have been on this planet for a long time and I know what is part of the national conversation and what isn’t. I’ve never seen less joy in great news.

jon-nyc
Member Avatar
Cheers
Oh, I thought you were asking a serious question, not just teeing up some outrage.
Online Profile Quote Post Goto Top

John Galt
Fulla-Carp
Davis
Jan 12 2018, 06:14 PM
Haha. You googled some articles. We have the strongest economy in a very long time and I have been on this planet for a long time and I know what is part of the national conversation and what isn’t. I’ve never seen less joy in great news.
I’m intrigued. Every one of those headlines speaks glowingly of the holiday sales results. One even gives credit to the tax law changes, and you stand fast with your no joy in Mudville.

Since you are so plugged in and the rest of us aren’t, please, please tell us where this “national conversation” is taking place?

Edited by John Galt, Jan 12 2018, 07:03 PM.
Let us begin anew, remembering on both sides that civility is not a sign of weakness.

Davis
Member Avatar
Senior Carp
jon-nyc
Jan 12 2018, 06:15 PM
Oh, I thought you were asking a serious question, not just teeing up some outrage.
Actually I am curious. I see, read and hear nothing but outrage. Maybe I live in a unique bubble.

taiwan_girl
Member Avatar
Senior Carp
I do believe that President Trump receives a lot more negative press than most previous past presidents. I do think that currently, the focus is more on the negative side of things. Even if President Trump is done with 90% positive and 10% negative, many stories will focus on the 10%.

(and I am not a President Trump supporter)

Aqua Letifer
Member Avatar
ZOOOOOM!
John Galt
Jan 12 2018, 06:47 PM
Since you are so plugged in and the rest of us aren’t, please, please tell us where this “national conversation” is taking place?

On the Faceyspace echo chamber and whatever self-reinforcing crap masquerading as news there is to find on the rest of the internets.
I cite irreconcilable differences.

Axtremus
Member Avatar
HOLY CARP!!!
Davis
Jan 12 2018, 07:22 PM
Maybe I live in a unique bubble.
Aren’t you glad to have John Galt and TNCR to help you see outside your bubble? :)

« Previous Topic · The New Coffee Room · Next Topic »
Add Reply