Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]
Welcome to The New Coffee Room. We hope you enjoy your visit.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use. If you join our community, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customizing your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free.

Join our community!

If you're already a member please log in to your account to access all of our features:

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
New car? Buy, lease or ...subscribe?
Topic Started: Jan 12 2018, 09:31 AM (128 Views)
Mikhailoh
Member Avatar
If you want trouble, find yourself a redhead
For only the price of a mortgage!

https://www.cincinnati.com/story/money/2018/01/11/jeff-wyler-offer-car-subscription-service-greater-cincinnati/1024587001/
Once in his life, every man is entitled to fall madly in love with a gorgeous redhead - Lucille Ball
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

Riley
Member Avatar
HOLY CARP!!!
$950 sounds ridiculously expensive. My insurance is $185 per month. Iíve never financed or leased a car, but most people I know pay in the ~300 range.

Klaus
Member Avatar
HOLY CARP!!!
Quote:

The cost to buy a $40,000 car with no money down on a five-year loan with an average interest rate of 4.21 percent would be about $740 a month, according to Carvana.com's auto loan payment calculator.

For an additional $210 a month, Wyler Fastlane customers can "drive whatever you want, whenever you want, hassle-free,'' Swaynie said.

Wait a second. Isn't the big difference that you own the car after five years in the first case but you do not in the second?
Trifonov Fleisher Klaus Sokolov Zimmerman
Online Profile Quote Post Goto Top

Davis
Member Avatar
Senior Carp
I couldnít figure out the audience either but I think there is one.

jon-nyc
Member Avatar
Cheers
I can totally see it. You have to be something of a car guy, and itís likely a single dealer canít pull this off, because youíd want to switch brands not jus models.

But Iíll bet there are plenty of guys who would like to drive the Beamer this week, the nice Audi the following, the Mini Cooper on their vacation up on the cape, then get a big truck for a week for the hell of it, etc.
Liszt Godowsky jon-nyc Rachmaninoff Hamelin

Mikhailoh
Member Avatar
Yep. And if they have the money? Why not. I don't see a large market, but we have all read about the auto ownership model changing, or at least expanding, in future years.

I would not be a candidate, but I think there is a market for it. Whether it is profitable or not is another matter. It is similar to renting a different car every week, which I have done off and on for years.

Once in his life, every man is entitled to fall madly in love with a gorgeous redhead - Lucille Ball

Copper
Member Avatar
Shortstop
In 2001 I bought the perfect car. My monthly payment since then has been exactly $0 per month.

Lucky me.

The Confederate soldier was peculiar in that he was ever ready to fight, but never ready to submit to the routine duty and discipline of the camp or the march. The soldiers were determined to be soldiers after their own notions, and do their duty, for the love of it, as they thought best. Carlton McCarthy

Klaus
Member Avatar
HOLY CARP!!!
If one of the rental options would be a '98 Corolla it would be worth it.
Trifonov Fleisher Klaus Sokolov Zimmerman

Copper
Member Avatar
Shortstop

Actually my total monthly cost including all maintenance, tires, brakes, oil changes, inspections and everything except fuel and tolls has been $57 per month.
The Confederate soldier was peculiar in that he was ever ready to fight, but never ready to submit to the routine duty and discipline of the camp or the march. The soldiers were determined to be soldiers after their own notions, and do their duty, for the love of it, as they thought best. Carlton McCarthy

George K
Member Avatar
Finally
Copper
Jan 14 2018, 08:50 AM
Actually my total monthly cost including all maintenance, tires, brakes, oil changes, inspections and everything except fuel and tolls has been $57 per month.
Including the purchase price?
A guide to GKSR: Click

"Now look here, you Baltic gas passer... "
- Mik, 6/14/08

Nothing is as effective as homeopathy.

I'd rather listen to an hour of Abba than an hour of The Beatles.
- Klaus, 4/29/18

Copper
Member Avatar
Shortstop
George K
Jan 14 2018, 09:12 AM
Copper
Jan 14 2018, 08:50 AM
Including the purchase price?

No, after the purchase price. I paid cash to buy it in 2001 so no monthly loan.

The $57 is total maintenance divided by the number of months.

Mikhailoh
Member Avatar
Copper
Jan 14 2018, 08:44 AM
In 2001 I bought the perfect car. My monthly payment since then has been exactly $0 per month.

Lucky me.

Im driving a 2006 Odyssey. Paid cash. Still under 100K. Nothing has ever gone wrong with it, just maintenance. Iíd guess we can get at least 5 more years out of it.

Copper
Member Avatar
Shortstop
Mikhailoh
Jan 14 2018, 09:23 AM
Im driving a 2006 Odyssey. Paid cash. Still under 100K. Nothing has ever gone wrong with it, just maintenance. Iíd guess we can get at least 5 more years out of it.

In 2016 we sold our 2001 Odyssey to Car Max for $1000 because the Honda guy wanted $12K to replace the transmission, struts and more, I think the transmission was around $6K. I couldn't see paying $12K to make a $1K car worth about $3K.

Mikhailoh
Member Avatar
Nope. If that happens we will make a similar decision. in the meantime we have had an exceptionally comfortable, versatile, dependable and relatively frugal vehicle for 12 years.

« Previous Topic · The New Coffee Room · Next Topic »
Add Reply