Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]
Welcome to The New Coffee Room. We hope you enjoy your visit.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use. If you join our community, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customizing your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free.

Join our community!

If you're already a member please log in to your account to access all of our features:

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
Dumb Sh!t Comes in Threes!
Topic Started: Jan 12 2018, 05:23 AM (137 Views)
Aqua Letifer
Member Avatar
ZOOOOOM!
I make coffee with a French press pretty much every morning. Have been for years. By my rough calculation, easily it’s been a couple thousand times. I feel it’s important to keep this in context as I explain what happened yesterday.

In the morning, I ground out my coffee, put it in the press, heated up the water. Poured in the water, put the top on, let it sit. Then pushed the top down.

The top resisted completely for about a tenth of a second and then the damn thing exploded upwards on me, throwing near-boiling water and grounds all over my chest, stomach, and arms. What. The. Hell.

Total mess everywhere. And it hurt pretty good. But you know what? Still had enough left in the press for about two thirds of a cup. So I pressed the stuff out, poured a cup and drank it, still singed and sopping wet.

You know what?

No joke, probably the best cup of coffee I ever made.
I cite irreconcilable differences.
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

brenda
Member Avatar
:lol2:

So sorry for the pain and mess, Aqua. Glad you got some good coffee out of it.

So nothing broke? It just went berserk and spewed coffee all over?
“Weeds are flowers, too, once you get to know them.”
~A.A. Milne

Aqua Letifer
Member Avatar
ZOOOOOM!
brenda
Jan 12 2018, 06:38 AM

Yep, it leaked out through a corner in the top. But it was a very small crack, so, pressure equals force per unit area. I guess it didn't take much force to create a steaming damn fountain of piping hot liquid.

I've just never seen that before, ever.

I have a backup press, but it's not nearly as good. I don't want to part with the old one, but you gotta put down your dog when it first bites your kid, right? No matter how long you've had 'em? :(

Copper
Member Avatar
Shortstop

You might be on to something.

This is how the microwave oven was invented.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Microwave_oven

Quote:

In 1945, the specific heating effect of a high-power microwave beam was accidentally discovered by Percy Spencer, an American self-taught engineer from Howland, Maine. Employed by Raytheon at the time, he noticed that microwaves from an active radar set he was working on started to melt a candy bar he had in his pocket.

The Confederate soldier was peculiar in that he was ever ready to fight, but never ready to submit to the routine duty and discipline of the camp or the march. The soldiers were determined to be soldiers after their own notions, and do their duty, for the love of it, as they thought best. Carlton McCarthy

Mark
Member Avatar
HOLY CARP!!!
Oh man, sorry about your explosion. I can relate.

I take it your press has a glass carafe?

After about three or so, of those exploding, scalding incidents with the Aeropress, I switched back to a French press. After 4 years of using the Aeropress (I love the coffee it makes!) I got sick of what I saw as decreasing quality of the product. I basically have to buy at least 2 of them each year. I would have such an explosive incident at least once a year. I was risking it happening more as I pushed the Aeropress beyond the point of providing a good seal.

I put up with it for my addiction. lol

When I decided to go back to the french press method, I knew that glass was not a good choice for me.

I got one of these and I love it.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00ZXZ3JNM/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o03_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1
___.___
(_]===*
o 0
When I see an adult on a bicycle, I do not despair for the future of the human race. H.G. Wells
Online Profile Quote Post Goto Top

brenda
Member Avatar
Aqua Letifer
Jan 12 2018, 06:44 AM
brenda
Jan 12 2018, 06:38 AM

Yep, it leaked out through a corner in the top. But it was a very small crack, so, pressure equals force per unit area. I guess it didn't take much force to create a steaming damn fountain of piping hot liquid.

I've just never seen that before, ever.

I have a backup press, but it's not nearly as good. I don't want to part with the old one, but you gotta put down your dog when it first bites your kid, right? No matter how long you've had 'em? :(
So it's a problem with the seal of the plunger? We have used one in the past, and still have it. I recall using the plunger in gradual steps, not just a single press. If you are keeping it, maybe give that a try.

BTW, we now use the Chemex drip coffee system. We have a couple large ones, and I love the coffee. Hubby has to use decaf, but I make regular full-leaded coffee for myself. Vroom Vroom! Yes, I enjoy my morning caffeine fix.
“Weeds are flowers, too, once you get to know them.”
~A.A. Milne

Mikhailoh
Member Avatar
If you want trouble, find yourself a redhead
Mark, that's a great looking press.
Once in his life, every man is entitled to fall madly in love with a gorgeous redhead - Lucille Ball

Aqua Letifer
Member Avatar
ZOOOOOM!
brenda
Jan 12 2018, 08:50 AM
So it's a problem with the seal of the plunger? We have used one in the past, and still have it. I recall using the plunger in gradual steps, not just a single press. If you are keeping it, maybe give that a try.
Well, yeah, it's not like I leaned into the thing; I just pressed it down like normal, with just one hand and not a whole lot of pressure. It blew up faster than I could react. Very strange.

Quote:

BTW, we now use the Chemex drip coffee system. We have a couple large ones, and I love the coffee. Hubby has to use decaf, but I make regular full-leaded coffee for myself. Vroom Vroom! Yes, I enjoy my morning caffeine fix.

As do I. :smile: I kind of put the brakes on the Chemex thing, though. Yeah, I'll use a press and grind my own coffee. Yeah, I'll even add cold water to the grounds and let that sit for a minute before adding the hot water just to prevent some bitterness from seeping in. But I still just buy regular coffee and use a press to make the stuff, that seems to be my speed. :lol:

Jolly
Member Avatar
Geaux Tigers!
Blow up a French press?

That takes talent.
The main obstacle to a stable and just world order is the United States.- George Soros

« Previous Topic · The New Coffee Room · Next Topic »
Add Reply