Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]
Welcome to The New Coffee Room. We hope you enjoy your visit.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use. If you join our community, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customizing your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free.

Join our community!

If you're already a member please log in to your account to access all of our features:

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
  • Pages:
There are things you think, and there are things you say.; Sometimes, they should be separate
Topic Started: Jan 11 2018, 05:20 PM (984 Views)
George K
Member Avatar
Finally
taiwan_girl
Jan 12 2018, 06:35 PM
As to the places listed in that list, there are challenges in seeing the beauty in some of those places
As to the places listed in that list, there are challenges in seeing the beauty in some of those places, but I think shithole is too dramatic a term.

1. Haiti
Never been...
You are one fascinating lady.
A guide to GKSR: Click

"Now look here, you Baltic gas passer... "
- Mik, 6/14/08

Nothing is as effective as homeopathy.

"There are 57 different genders, but politics is binary."
- David Burge, 7/29/18
Online Profile Quote Post Goto Top

George K
Member Avatar
Finally
Aqua Letifer
Jan 12 2018, 11:54 AM
How is this guy not a liar again?
Are you talking about Dick Durbin?

Quote:

JACKIE CALMES, NEW YORK TIMES: Just to follow up on that. In terms of the president talking to Republicans, can you rule out -- there was the number two Senate Democrat, Dick Durbin, said on his Facebook page that someone in recent exchange with the president said he can't even stand, this member of Congress, that he can't even stand to look at the president. Can you say whether that happened?

JAY CARNEY: I will say this, I spoke with somebody who was in that meeting and it did not happen.

QUESTION: Did the White House speak to Senator Durbin about this?

CARNEY: I don't know. My understanding is that, again, from participants in the meeting that that didn't happen.

QUESTION: Did anything like it happen that would --

CARNEY: Not that I'm aware of, Jackie.

- Mik, 6/14/08

- David Burge, 7/29/18

Aqua Letifer
Member Avatar
ZOOOOOM!
George K
Jan 12 2018, 07:38 PM
Dick Durbin
No, I'm talking about Donald Trump. Are you too going to tell me he's a straight shooter?
I cite irreconcilable differences.
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

Larry
Member Avatar
Mmmmmmm, pie!
Aqua Letifer
Jan 13 2018, 08:32 AM
George K
Dick Durbin
No, I'm talking about Donald Trump. Are you too going to tell me he's a straight shooter?
He's the first straight shooter we've had since Reagan.

Of the Pokatwat Tribe

Mikhailoh
Member Avatar
If you want trouble, find yourself a redhead
Well, you cannot discuss the accusation without discussing the accuser. Here's another one of Durbin's latest hits.

Durbin says 'chain migration' offensive to those whose ancestors came her in chains'

This much spin could alter the rotation of the planet.
"I have strong feelings about gun control. If there's a gun around, I want to be controlling it." Clint Eastwood, Pink Cadillac

Mikhailoh
Member Avatar
Aqua Letifer
Jan 13 2018, 08:32 AM
George K
Dick Durbin
I think he shoots as straight as most any politician. Certainly as straight as Durbin.

"I have strong feelings about gun control. If there's a gun around, I want to be controlling it." Clint Eastwood, Pink Cadillac

Larry
Member Avatar
Mmmmmmm, pie!
Stupid flakes off Dick Durbin like dandruff.
Of the Pokatwat Tribe

Aqua Letifer
Member Avatar
ZOOOOOM!
Mikhailoh
Jan 13 2018, 08:38 AM
Well, you cannot discuss the accusation without discussing the accuser.
That's the very definition of an ad hominem. Yes, you absolutely can. It's either true or not true, regardless of the kind of person Durbin is.

Aqua Letifer
Member Avatar
ZOOOOOM!
Mikhailoh
Jan 13 2018, 08:40 AM
I think he shoots as straight as most any politician. Certainly as straight as Durbin.

"He's just as bad as everyone else" is not even remotely the same thing as saying he's honest, which is what I was asking about.

Mikhailoh
Member Avatar
OK, let us stipulate that it is true. Do you support a merit-based immigration system or do you believe we should let anyone in that can get here? Most developed nations support some sort of merit based evaluation in order to attract skilled workers. Should we not do the same?

Mikhailoh
Member Avatar
Aqua Letifer
Jan 13 2018, 08:44 AM
Mikhailoh

"He's just as bad as everyone else" is not even remotely the same thing as saying he's honest, which is what I was asking about.
So what?

Larry
Member Avatar
Mmmmmmm, pie!
Aqua Letifer
Jan 13 2018, 08:44 AM
Mikhailoh

It is precisely because he IS honest that he gets in trouble.
Of the Pokatwat Tribe

taiwan_girl
Member Avatar
Fulla-Carp
Quote:

As in many things, Aqua has good words of wisdom.

"Little Johny, why did you pull the pigtail of Suzy?"

"Well, Joey did it first!"

WHAT??????????????????????? The above seems to be the attitude of politics on both parties. "He did it, so it is okay for me to do it." Or, "don't talk about what I did that is bad, focus on what the other guy did that is bad".

No one seems able to stand up and take responsibility for there actions. Politicians seem like a group of kindergarteners rather than adults.

Quote:

Do you support a merit-based immigration system or do you believe we should let anyone in that can get here? Most developed nations support some sort of merit based evaluation in order to attract skilled workers. Should we not do the same?

And as Mik usually does, he has a thoughtful question. I am not sure of the answer. I have a US passport (and also Republic of China passport), so went through the immigration process and through people I know (and people who they know and so on), i know that there is a lot of abuse in the system.

Sometimes I think it would be better to have a merit system, and then I think that would be unfair and biases would remove some people, so it would be better to have semi merit.......................

I just don't know.

Aqua Letifer
Member Avatar
ZOOOOOM!
Mikhailoh
Jan 13 2018, 08:48 AM
OK, let us stipulate that it is true. Do you support a merit-based immigration system or do you believe we should let anyone in that can get here? Most developed nations support some sort of merit based evaluation in order to attract skilled workers. Should we not do the same?

I’m talking about what a leader should do. I think they should man the fuck up and elevate with their influence by setting a better example, not discrediting an entire continent with an insult. If you honestly think that this is something the President of the United States should be doing then I don’t know what to say. I’m not outraged or saying “how dare he,” I’m saying he’s a shit example for how to be a person.

As to the immigration thing, the world is changing. Transportation is a hell of a lot more fluid than it used to be, and with the internet, international companies and the necessity to travel across the globe, sovereignity is a weaker idea than it was 100 years ago. Immigration should be merit-based but we’re going to need to be more flexible, not less, in the coming century. Every time a country tries to wall itself off more than the rest of the world, its people suffer.

Mikhailoh
Member Avatar
We're not North Korea, Aqua.

And where is it written that we have to more flexible than we already are? That sort of flexibility is a huge problem in Sweden, Germany and France. All these have tried to solve the aging population problem through immigration and it is failing miserably. Should we commit cultural suicide too?

Mikhailoh
Member Avatar
But I think I have already stated he should not have said that. It was impolitic to be sure, even though there was a kernel of truth. No one I know goes to Haiti on vacation and they sure as hell don't move there.

I'm more interested in the fact that he is focusing on establishing a real immigration policy.

Larry
Member Avatar
Mmmmmmm, pie!
Are you aware that after the hurricanes hit Haiti we took in tens of thousands of Haitians temporarily, and they're supposed to leave but they want to stay?

And are you aware that Haiti IS in fact a sh!t country?

Jesus.
Of the Pokatwat Tribe

Horace
Member Avatar
HOLY CARP!!!
It was interesting to me that the enchromic anchor for cnn, I mean he's a good guy but he's also enchromic, broke up when talking about Haiti because the people were great but the government was crap. I doubt Trump meant that people born in Haiti are crap. Anderson Cooper (the anchor) thought so though. That is a difference between him and me.
As a good person, I implore you to do as I, a good person, do. Be good. Do NOT be bad. If you see bad, end bad. End it in yourself, and end it in others. By any means necessary, the good must conquer the bad. Good people know this. Do you know this? Are you good?

Larry
Member Avatar
Mmmmmmm, pie!
Posted Image
Of the Pokatwat Tribe

Davis
Member Avatar
Fulla-Carp
Which people said first time I’m proud to be American and they cling to their guns and religion? Weren’t they saying they lived in a sh$thole country?

Larry
Member Avatar
Mmmmmmm, pie!
So...

Norway:
Posted Image

Haiti:
Posted Image

I rest my case.....
Of the Pokatwat Tribe

Aqua Letifer
Member Avatar
ZOOOOOM!
Mikhailoh
Jan 13 2018, 10:59 AM
We're not North Korea, Aqua.

And where is it written that we have to more flexible than we already are? That sort of flexibility is a huge problem in Sweden, Germany and France. All these have tried to solve the aging population problem through immigration and it is failing miserably. Should we commit cultural suicide too?
I'm not talking about policy, I'm talking about being left behind. Forget about immigration from suspect countries or just letting people cross the border and become citizens, I'm not talking about that. I'm saying that the world's changing, and countries are necessarily going to have to be more flexible with their borders in the future if they don't want to be left behind.

A friend of mine's going back to China Monday; he can't stay here anymore. He got his Master's here, he works for Verizon and they'd cut someone's arm off if it meant they could keep him working here. But he didn't win the lottery system—it's a fucking lottery system—so we're losing an extremely bright guy who does more for our economy, society and tax coffers than any eight dumbshit, lazy, red-hat-wearing rednecks who live in the most worthless corners of our nation's shithole flyover territories. Hey, I'm just calling it like it is, right? Keepin' it real?

George K
Member Avatar
Finally
Aqua Letifer
Jan 13 2018, 01:19 PM
dumbshit, lazy, red-hat-wearing rednecks who live in the most worthless corners of our nation's shithole flyover territories
I thought love trumps hate.

- Mik, 6/14/08

- David Burge, 7/29/18

Aqua Letifer
Member Avatar
ZOOOOOM!
George K
Jan 13 2018, 01:23 PM
Aqua Letifer
dumb****, lazy, red-hat-wearing rednecks who live in the most worthless corners of our nation's ****hole flyover territories
I thought giving it to you straight was more commendable these days than libby euphemisms and PC nonsense?

George K
Member Avatar
Finally
Aqua Letifer
Jan 13 2018, 01:26 PM
George K
Jan 13 2018, 01:23 PM
Aqua Letifer
dumb****, lazy, red-hat-wearing rednecks who live in the most worthless corners of our nation's ****hole flyover territories
I thought giving it to you straight was more commendable these days than libby euphemisms and PC nonsense?
Fuck yeah. Nice to know what you think of those folks.
Edited by George K, Jan 13 2018, 01:38 PM.

- Mik, 6/14/08

- David Burge, 7/29/18

DealsFor.me - The best sales, coupons, and discounts for you
Go to Next Page
« Previous Topic · The New Coffee Room · Next Topic »
Add Reply
  • Pages: