Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]
Welcome to The New Coffee Room. We hope you enjoy your visit.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use. If you join our community, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customizing your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free.

Join our community!

If you're already a member please log in to your account to access all of our features:

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
A chilling look at the militarization of North Korea
Topic Started: Jan 11 2018, 06:02 AM (175 Views)
Mikhailoh
Member Avatar
If you want trouble, find yourself a redhead
..from a South Korean general.

https://www.cincinnati.com/story/news/world/2018/01/11/former-general-says-he-knows-how-powerful-north-koreas-military/1023471001/
Once in his life, every man is entitled to fall madly in love with a gorgeous redhead - Lucille Ball
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

George K
Member Avatar
Finally
Interesting read.

North Korea is almost other-worldly in their culture, devotion to the Kims, etc. The penetration of propaganda is 1984-ish. They *really believe* that US soldiers were eating babies during the Korean War.
A guide to GKSR: Click

"Now look here, you Baltic gas passer... "
- Mik, 6/14/08

Nothing is as effective as homeopathy.

I'd rather listen to an hour of Abba than an hour of The Beatles.
- Klaus, 4/29/18
Online Profile Quote Post Goto Top

Jolly
Member Avatar
Geaux Tigers!
Which is why if we ever HAVE to go to war with the NORKs, all weapons at our disposal should be used as needed. Total war in spades.

If it takes killing a million North Koreans to save one American kid's life from Cattlegap, Montana, so be it.
The main obstacle to a stable and just world order is the United States.- George Soros

xenon
Member Avatar
Senior Carp
You mean if they launch their nukes?

Jolly
Member Avatar
Geaux Tigers!
xenon
Jan 11 2018, 04:06 PM
You mean if they launch their nukes?
Nope.
The main obstacle to a stable and just world order is the United States.- George Soros

Mikhailoh
Member Avatar
If it happens we will have a very short window to bring them to their knees. Decapitating leadership and crippling military infrastructure will be paramount.
Once in his life, every man is entitled to fall madly in love with a gorgeous redhead - Lucille Ball

xenon
Member Avatar
Senior Carp
I'm not sure what the doomsday scenario would be for NK - that isn't self prompted. I guess the other one would be unleashing its conventional weapons on Seoul.

Mikhailoh
Member Avatar
The latter. Their ability to deliver nukes is pretty weak overall.

Larry
Member Avatar
Mmmmmmm, pie!
It's the death toll they would take on Seoul that's the problem, not their ability to hit the US with a nuke. If it weren't for that, we could level North Korea in about 3 or 4 days.

Of the Pokatwat Tribe

taiwan_girl
Member Avatar
Fulla-Carp
Interesting article, but I think he is much more a pessimistic view and gives the DPRK too much military credit. Of course, he has much more experience with the North than I have had, but my feel is that there has been a loss of "respect" and "idolatry" for the DPRK leadership.

The modern and outside world has slowly been getting into the North, and some people now realize that the DPRK news given to them is not completely true. The exposure to the outside world is more among the elite, but they have the most to lose of the DPRK falls apart. Many of the rural people are more concerned about keeping good meals, keeping warm, etc., than worrying about politics, etc.

It is one thing to say that everybody gets 100 hours of military training per year, but if you are training with wooden guns, or maybe real guns, but never fire a real bullet, I am not sure how effective it really is.

I think the kamikaze pilots would not happen. yes, there would be some, but I think it would be very small numbers.

Larry is right, the main concern is how close the DPRK is to Seoul - only about 60 km. If there are for example, 100,000 rockets pointed at Seoul, a person could shoot down 90% of them, but that would still leave a huge number that would get through and do lots and lots of damage.

I think that there still is a belief in the juche philosophy, and many/most citizens of DPRK do believe that it is in their interest to keep themselves self sufficient to some degree.

Copper
Member Avatar
Shortstop
taiwan_girl
Jan 11 2018, 07:10 PM
some people now realize that the DPRK news given to them is not completely true.

If only we could reach this level of enlightenment.

The Confederate soldier was peculiar in that he was ever ready to fight, but never ready to submit to the routine duty and discipline of the camp or the march. The soldiers were determined to be soldiers after their own notions, and do their duty, for the love of it, as they thought best. Carlton McCarthy

Aqua Letifer
Member Avatar
ZOOOOOM!
Mikhailoh
Jan 11 2018, 06:05 PM
The latter. Their ability to deliver nukes is pretty weak overall.
They’re getting better all the time, though. It’d be a huge mistake for our defense department not to take their testing more and more seriously.
I cite irreconcilable differences.

Mikhailoh
Member Avatar
Good article from Politico on the likely scenarios of strinking DPRK.

https://www.politico.com/magazine/story/2018/01/12/north-korea-strike-nuclear-strategist-216306

Kincaid
Member Avatar
HOLY CARP!!!
taiwan_girl
Jan 11 2018, 07:10 PM
Interesting article, but I think he is much more a pessimistic view and gives the DPRK too much military credit. Of course, he has much more experience with the North than I have had, but my feel is that there has been a loss of "respect" and "idolatry" for the DPRK leadership.

The modern and outside world has slowly been getting into the North, and some people now realize that the DPRK news given to them is not completely true. The exposure to the outside world is more among the elite, but they have the most to lose of the DPRK falls apart. Many of the rural people are more concerned about keeping good meals, keeping warm, etc., than worrying about politics, etc.

It is one thing to say that everybody gets 100 hours of military training per year, but if you are training with wooden guns, or maybe real guns, but never fire a real bullet, I am not sure how effective it really is.

I think the kamikaze pilots would not happen. yes, there would be some, but I think it would be very small numbers.

Larry is right, the main concern is how close the DPRK is to Seoul - only about 60 km. If there are for example, 100,000 rockets pointed at Seoul, a person could shoot down 90% of them, but that would still leave a huge number that would get through and do lots and lots of damage.

I think that there still is a belief in the juche philosophy, and many/most citizens of DPRK do believe that it is in their interest to keep themselves self sufficient to some degree.
I agree with this line of thinking - not to overlook their military strength and fervor, but remember how we were told that the Iraqi army was going to be a hard slog.
Kincaid - disgusted Republican Partisan since 2006.

« Previous Topic · The New Coffee Room · Next Topic »
Add Reply