Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]
Welcome to The New Coffee Room. We hope you enjoy your visit.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use. If you join our community, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customizing your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free.

Join our community!

If you're already a member please log in to your account to access all of our features:

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
  • Pages:
Hey! L's Dad! Good luck tomorrow!
Topic Started: Jan 8 2018, 08:49 AM (1,056 Views)
Luke's Dad
Member Avatar
Emperor Pengin
Digital nerve block? They said so, but I don't want to think what that would have felt like without. My arm feels like I have been lifting weights all day.
The problem with having an open mind is that people keep trying to put things in it.
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

jon-nyc
Member Avatar
Cheers
Glad you're back, man.
Clowns to the left of me, jokers to the right.
Online Profile Quote Post Goto Top

Copper
Member Avatar
Shortstop
:thumb:
The Confederate soldier was peculiar in that he was ever ready to fight, but never ready to submit to the routine duty and discipline of the camp or the march. The soldiers were determined to be soldiers after their own notions, and do their duty, for the love of it, as they thought best. Carlton McCarthy

Aqua Letifer
Member Avatar
ZOOOOOM!
Glad it went well, man. :thumb: Also sounds like it went better than expected. Awesome.
I cite irreconcilable differences.

Axtremus
Member Avatar
HOLY CARP!!!
I wish you speedy recovery.
Just curious, how did the finger get injured in the first place?

Mikhailoh
Member Avatar
If you want trouble, find yourself a redhead
Glad to see you back!
"I have strong feelings about gun control. If there's a gun around, I want to be controlling it." Clint Eastwood, Pink Cadillac

brenda
Member Avatar
YAY! So glad you had the lesser of the two surgical options, even if it hurts more now.

Use that as your opening line for getting those very cold beverages to sooth your poor swollen hand. This is the time when sympathy at home will be greatest, so get your puppy eyes ready to make the case for a ... case. :)
“Weeds are flowers, too, once you get to know them.”
~A.A. Milne

Jolly
Member Avatar
Geaux Tigers!
As has been said, don't be a tuff guy, take your meds on schedule. Less aggressive is good, so hopefully the healing process will be smooth and as quick as possible.
The main obstacle to a stable and just world order is the United States.- George Soros

Luke's Dad
Member Avatar
Emperor Pengin
Jolly
Jan 9 2018, 02:58 PM
As has been said, don't be a tuff guy, take your meds on schedule. Less aggressive is good, so hopefully the healing process will be smooth and as quick as possible.
It's not about being tough, but being a pansy ass when ot comes to worrying about forming a habit. I'll take the painkillers as needed today and tomorrow morning, but after that I will try to get by on Ibuprofen and Acetaminophen.

They put me on Hydrocodone/Acetaminophen 5/325.
The problem with having an open mind is that people keep trying to put things in it.

George K
Member Avatar
Finally
People who take opioids for acute postoperative pain almost never develop a dependence. It's the people who take them for an ongoing problem (back pain, most commonly).
A guide to GKSR: Click

"Now look here, you Baltic gas passer... "
- Mik, 6/14/08

Nothing is as effective as homeopathy.

"There are 57 different genders, but politics is binary."
- David Burge, 7/29/18

Friday
Fulla-Carp
Luke's Dad
Jan 9 2018, 03:26 PM

That's actually pretty mild.

Your plan of taking it for 2 days is a good one, but if the OTC stuff doesn't help don't hesitate to go back on the narcotics.

Oh, and you might want to take a stool softener as well (depending on how regular you are).

Jolly
Member Avatar
Geaux Tigers!
George K
Jan 9 2018, 03:35 PM
People who take opioids for acute postoperative pain almost never develop a dependence. It's the people who take them for an ongoing problem (back pain, most commonly).
Listen to George, he knows a doctor. :lol2:
The main obstacle to a stable and just world order is the United States.- George Soros

Davis
Member Avatar
Fulla-Carp
Luke's Dad
Jan 9 2018, 03:26 PM
Jolly
Jan 9 2018, 02:58 PM
It's not about being tough, but being a pansy ass when ot comes to worrying about forming a habit. I'll take the painkillers as needed today and tomorrow morning, but after that I will try to get by on Ibuprofen and Acetaminophen.

You won’t get addicted in 2 or 3 days. If you wait until it’s bad it will be less effective. Enjoy the ride and take in a few good movies. Apocalypse now would be a good choice. :silly:
Edited by Davis, Jan 9 2018, 03:59 PM.

Luke's Dad
Member Avatar
Emperor Pengin
Jolly
Jan 9 2018, 03:58 PM
George K
I hear he plays one on TV.

Jolly
Member Avatar
Geaux Tigers!
Luke's Dad
Jan 9 2018, 04:15 PM
Jolly
Jan 9 2018, 03:58 PM
George K
I hear he plays one on TV.
Maybe even slept in a Holiday Inn Express.

George K
Member Avatar
Finally
Jolly
Jan 9 2018, 04:21 PM
Maybe even slept in a Holiday Inn Express Ritz Carlton.
FIFY

- Mik, 6/14/08

- David Burge, 7/29/18

Jolly
Member Avatar
Geaux Tigers!
George K
Jan 9 2018, 04:28 PM
Jolly
Jan 9 2018, 04:21 PM
Maybe even slept in a Holiday Inn Express Ritz Carlton.
FIFY
Nah.

Then you'd be a surgeon. :silly:

George K
Member Avatar
Finally
Jolly
Jan 9 2018, 05:11 PM
Nah.

Then you'd be a neurosurgeon. :silly:
FIFYA

(Fixed it for you again)

Actually, on my first trip to NOLA, my bride and I stayed at the Ritz. It was pretty nice, but the $80 breakfast wasn't worth it.

Windsor Court is our go to place now. Just as nice, bigger rooms, better location.

Love that hotel.

- Mik, 6/14/08

- David Burge, 7/29/18

Luke's Dad
Member Avatar
Emperor Pengin
If the hydrocodone isn't cutting it, can I still take 800 mg ibuprofen 3 times a day?

George K
Member Avatar
Finally
Luke's Dad
Jan 9 2018, 08:07 PM
If the hydrocodone isn't cutting it, can I still take 800 mg ibuprofen 3 times a day?
Go with what the doc says. Some don't like NSAIDs after surgery, though that thinking has changed in the last 10 years or so. They're afraid of bleeding. However, in a finger, I'd doubt that's much of an issue. The combination of opioids and NSAIDs is a good one.

I'm sure they have someone on call that can answer your question.

Sounds like the block's worn off... :hug:

Hurts like a somunabiatch, doesn't it?

- Mik, 6/14/08

- David Burge, 7/29/18

Rainman
Member Avatar
Fulla-Carp
I am the resident expert on opioids. Vicodin was made by god. For me, it targets the pain so effectively without side effects. Oxycodone I didn't like, Dilaudid was great especially IV when I was in intensive care, and for weeks afterwords in pill form. The trouble with the strong stuff is that I felt my IQ dropped, I couldn't "think on my feet" and I hated feeling like that.

I really think everyone reacts differently. When I run out of Vicodin, it's no big deal. Yes, I feel a bit achy, but tylenol or Ibuprofin or Gabapentin help for a couple of days and then I'm "normal." I have good days and bad days, maybe surgery again this spring, oh well, separate story.

I knew a deputy sheriff that was on Vicodin. When he ran out, he freaked out and held up a pharmacy. Went to jail. I don't know how it could have affected him like that.

My suggestion: stay ahead of the pain as your doctor prescribes, don't play catch-up where you are in so much agony that you start downing the pain meds in desperation. My wife (trauma nurse) insisted I do that: follow the advice of the experts, be proactive and sensible. And if it's not working, call your doc, be honest, and see if there is an alternative either stronger, or just different.

In my opinion, being on narcotics for a week or two, you are NOT going to become an addict either psychologically or physiologically. If you are concerned, taper the dosage as you begin to feel better.

Just my 2-cents advice and perspective, hope you don't mind.

Luke's Dad
Member Avatar
Emperor Pengin
Hmmm, can't sleep and feeling a bit mellow from the pain pill. Think I'll stay up late and listen to a little Stephen King on Audible. Insomnia seems appropriate.

jon-nyc
Member Avatar
Cheers
I understand treading carefully, I was on oxycodone for well over a month with my surgery and had the same concern. It all ended well, though. Never finished the last of the pills.
Clowns to the left of me, jokers to the right.

Luke's Dad
Member Avatar
Emperor Pengin
I feel a little silly being concerned about this, especially when compared to what you've been through, Jon. I still couldn't imagine going through all of that. I have to commend you for your grace that you carried yourself through tbat surgery with.

Jolly
Member Avatar
Geaux Tigers!
Both Jon and Rainman have been through some major league stuff. I'd certainly make use of their wisdom.

Go to Next Page
« Previous Topic · The New Coffee Room · Next Topic »
Add Reply
  • Pages: